1 (edited by dingding0220 2017-04-04 01:24:43)

Topic: Fireface UCX - loud static noise in Netflix app on Windows 10

There seems to be a problem with me using the UCX to play sounds from Windows 10 Netflix app. I've had this problem before with some of the other video-playback apps but I've always assumed that the files were corrupted. I tried playing using other audio interface and it works just fine.

My firmware and drivers are up to date. Totalmix version is 1.40

Re: Fireface UCX - loud static noise in Netflix app on Windows 10

That might be a known bug in Windows 10, caused by a recent KB update. How long do you have this problem already?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I've only just recently transitioned from Mac to PC, and have just installed Netflix today. I think it might have been there ever since I made the transition a couple of weeks ago. If this were a Windows bug then why does it only happen when I try to play sound from the RME and not the built-in Realtek soundcard?

I figured out that the problem was due to Fireface not supporting Dolby encoding. I'll need to go into sound settings in windows to turn off Dolby support, but I'm not sure where the setting is.

No soundcard supports Dolby encoding, neither does the Realtek. Do you mean Dolby Decoding as it happens on Playback? That needs an additional codec which takes the AC-3 stream and decodes it into stereo (downmix) or 5.1 analog output channels. These codecs are part of DVD player software, maybe part of Netflix as well, so you should look for that setting within the Netflix app.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Also: the UCX only supports Dolby on the SPDIF outputs (where it is played back un-decoded as AC-3 stream). Check the settings in the Sound control panel of Windows System where you can see the UCX properties. So either the Netflix app ignores the Windows device properties, or you have the SPDIF output selected as playback device, and routed the SPDIF signal to the analog outputs via TotalMix...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I just want to comment to say that I've found the exact cause and solution to this problem, following the guide here: https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-t … indows-10/

Specifically,

On the device properties screen, select the ‘Advanced’ tab. In the ‘Exclusive Mode’ section of the Advanced tab, disable the ‘Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device’.

Thank you, this was still relevant and worked on Windows 11, 6 years later.