1 (edited by JohnG 2017-05-05 00:22:04)

Topic: Hooray! found motherboard with PCI slot -- takes 9652 Hammerfall

Hi all,

I am so happy to let you know there is a new ASRock motherboard (new to me anyway) that has a PCI slot.  I have five 9652 Hammerfall cards and this gives them new life.

The board is the ASRock Motherboard Z270 PRO4.  I thought I must have misread the description but it really does accept the 9652 card -- I'm using it now.  It's not an adapter, but a regular PCI slot.

http://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z270%20Pro4/index.asp

2 PCIe 3.0 x16, 3 PCIe 3.0 x1, 1 PCI, 1 M.2 Socket (Key E)

I don't work for ASRock or anything like that -- I'm a composer.  The board is not weird or anything -- not a server board or otherwise odd for music.  It can take up to 64GB of RAM and has USB 3.0 and all that.

Kind regards,

John

2 (edited by Mobizoid 2017-05-11 17:05:54)

Re: Hooray! found motherboard with PCI slot -- takes 9652 Hammerfall

Gotta love ASROCK for the price. I have 2 of their boards and really like the BIOS.
I also have an HDSP 9652 On one of those mobos and am impressed. Bought it used but could never see buying a new one for the kind of money they have been for years.
When you look at the components on one of these sound cards they sure must be a big money maker for RME. Mind you they do have good support and I guess that is what you are paying for.
Their new PCIe cards seem great but then again the price tag is prohibitive. I never could understand why motherboards are such a good deal compared to sound cards, RAM and other computer parts.

Yes, you pay for decade long driver and firmware updates. And motherboards are manufactured and sold in much higher numbers than pro sound cards, plus their support lasts only for a few BIOS updates after their release, then nothing to do anymore. Different business model.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes, and it costs lots of dinero to keep employees around to provide this support. I am still dreaming about purchasing other RME products when personel finances dictate the time is right. The RME business model must be sound for them to last as long as they have. On the other hand it would be nice to see some lower end products with less features for consumers and pro-summers that cost less. Like say.... a 200 dollar PCIe audio card that was aimed at the mainstream market for gamester's and or amateur audiophiles. I think they would sell like hotcakes and grow the RME brand.

The Asus Z170-P has 2 legacy PCI slots
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus-z1 … tx-motherb