1 (edited by mr.r 2017-05-28 18:31:57)

Topic: prevent the click noise when Multiface driver is loaded on boot?

When the Multiface load it's driver at boot (the led goes from red light to off), I get a short pretty noticable click st the speaker.

I can turn the speaker on after the computer is fully booted of course, but maybe there is a way to prevent that click? Could that click harm my directly connected active speakers?

Re: prevent the click noise when Multiface driver is loaded on boot?

It's just a click and harmless. There is no way to avoid it other than making sure the levels match correctly. If your amp is too sensitive, faders in TotalMix at -20 dB constantly, then the click will be much more loud then it would be with proper levels.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by mr.r 2017-05-30 20:56:55)

Thanks for the reply.

Yes thats the case, I had total mix at -30db most of the time in the past. I had my Genelecs directly connected to the Multiface to avoid analog volume control with bad L/R ballance and I only have limited volume control on the active speaker.

I got a digital volume control (DAC) from TC BMC-2 connected via spdif (coax), but I get the click even then when I have the volume at -oo on this unit. I wonder why.

btw. is this also the case with the newer units like the UFXII? I plan to stay at the Multiface (which still works so great ) for another year or so. This is just out of curiosity, but my next interface will definitely be a RME again. You guys have just the best engineering attitude and rock solid drivers out there. No marketing crap, I really admire that. :-)

> I had total mix at -30db most of the time

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25399

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

You should be powering on your speakers last, anyway. Why not do that and avoid the click? I do get a click when changing sample rates on my Fireface UFX, but the clicks are very low in energy (never measured the level) and duration (not sure if I could measure it).

- JediJoker

6 (edited by mr.r 2017-05-31 09:29:03)

A very good link!

MC wrote:

> I had total mix at -30db most of the time

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25399

A volume control pot then has a very limited operation area, and the master fader in TotalMix has to be lowered to below -20 dB constantly. This also raises concerns about reduced audio resolution. With such a level mismatch hum and noise can also become audible.

As said a lot of time here in the RME forum and also on the web site, there is no reduced "resolution" when digital leveling is done right. Therefore I don't get why it's mentioned here.

Thanks you very much for sharing this information about specific parts that are tested by RME. I'm thinking about getting two JTS Mic attenuator MA-123 now.

I always had the idea to do that but I didnt't want to mess with impedance mismatch and all this stuff that passiv volume control can do. You hear that a lot that passive volume control has disadvantages because of that. I'm not educated enough in electronics, is there any other thinkable disadvantage related to sound quality when using such a passive attenuator (worse transient response or something?

ps: Yes I power the speaker up last, that works. But I was just curious if this could prevented.