Topic: New to RME/PCI

Hello, I'm looking at the 9652 as an upgrade to my existing setup which is a ProFire 2626 as master and a MOTU 8pre chained via ADAT. I do occasionally require 16+ inputs for full production jobs, but most of the time I am only editing, mixing and mastering. The reason I'm looking at the 9652 is because my 2626 is not supported/compatible with newer versions of OSX or Windows. With my iMac on its last legs, necessitating a computer upgrade anyway, and being sorely disappointed with the latest from Apple, I am switching to PC. Then I realized I could use the 9652 which seems to cover my bases. I need at least a single headphone output, one pair L/R monitor outputs, coaxial SPDIF I/O for my Kemper, MIDI I/O and at least 16 channels I/O via ADAT for my 2626 & 8pre.

Can someone clarify these things for me because I only know enough to be dangerous:

1. With the 9652, how can I get audio to my monitors? Could I send the DAW master output via ADAT to the 2626/8pre's analog outputs?

2. Same question, but with headphones. Currently I have an 8ch headphone amp, stereo cable from the 2626 headphone out on the front panel to the input of the headphone amp.

3. Should I even bother with the 9652 or find something else that is USB?

Re: New to RME/PCI

I have a HDSP9652 for that purpose only with different devices. I have an ADI8 and a FW1804. The 1804 has the function of your 2626. At least for headphones. I don't have a 2626 so it does have to work in stand alone mode and you must be able to route the adat or spdif to the headphones. Or you can connect the analogue outs to your phones amp.
One more thing! Your new PC will need to have a PCI slot for the hdsp9652 not pcie. Finding a new PC with PCI might be some work. Or go with a raydat or raydat usb. The raydat is pcie and the usb is eh...usb. Both have 4 adat ports.
Cheers!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

The nice things about the RayDAT is also, that it has separate AES / SPDIF channels
to make this kind of setup possible.
http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … ort-DE-EN/
I wouldnt invest into PCI anymore.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I have been putting together an all RME setup with many of the components you use: Raydat, UFX +, Octamic XTC, and a ADI-2 Pro. I just reviewed the link you provided that illustrates a method for connecting these devices which is different than what I came up with on my own.

Can you tell me if this is the actual configuration you are using or how you are setup? Which ASIO driver do you use in your DAW (Raydat or MADI) and why? Do see the Octamic in Totalmix?  I only have the raydat and ufx in totalmix.

Currently I have the ADI-2 on ADAT1 in/out (is out needed), Ufx+ ADAT2 (Second ADAT in/outs are unused. Do they need a dedicated ADAT3 for maximum inputs recording at a double or quad high rates). The Octamic is on ADAT3 in/out (Does this only need an out?), and ADAT 4 is unused. I also have a Axe FX on the raydat spdif that I will have to contend with if I move to the setup in your link since the ADI will take the spdif and AES from the raydat.

I am definitely a bit confused with the connections and maximizing Total FX. I am not too confident I can return to my current setup if I try yours and can't get it to work :). Any setup help is greatly appreciated.

For my setup its easier to make the UFX+ to the heart of my recording solution.
The ADI-2 Pro is currently used as a headphone amp only.

My RayDAT is currently unused. I keep it to be able to connect my RL-906D via AES as plan b (for backup).
And for giving tips like i.e. to add TM FX to the ADI-2 Pro by using the RayDAT.

For my projects I found out it makes no real performance difference (in terms of CPU)
whether to use RayDAT (PCIe) or UFX+ via USB3.

Therefore I prefer now to use the UFX+ connected via USB3 as the heart of my recording solution.
The driver latency of USB3 alone is even "slightly" lower compared to RayDAT + AD/DA of UFX* as preamp.
http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/1931-UFX-UFX-RayDAT-Latencies-jpg/

So if you have only the ADI-2 Pro I would say combine it with RayDAT and be happe to use TM FX.

If you have UFX+, Octamic XTC, ADI-2 Pro, RayDAT.
Then I would advice you to use the UFX+ / ARC USB to become the center of your recording solution.
Then you are free either to use the ADI-2 Pro soleily as headphone amp or .. if you want to maximize
sound for your monitors.
Then you can take one of the digital outputs (ADAT1, ADAT2, AES) to connect the ADI-2 Pro to the UFX+
and to connect your monitors to the ADI-2 Pro Analog out 1/2.
If you need optical SPDIF, then don't take ADAT2, as this is the only ADAT port supporting it.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you. I will try a setup without the Raydat. I forgot to mention I also have the ARC.

With your setup are you connecting the Octamic directly to the UFX+ with adat or madi? Is the ARC connected to the UFX+ or the computer? Are you using BNC Cables for Word Clock or ADAT?

When you say you use the ADI-2 just for headphones, I take it that is just for one or two headphones and not to send individual mixes to the musicians? I was thinking I could run 5-6 analog outs of the UFX+ for this purpose. Do you use the UFX analog outs for other purposes?

What is important to me is having as many physical inputs to record at double or Quad M/SUX and the best use of TM FX.

(Sorry for all the questions) Finally, if I wanted to make the UFX+ the heart and still use the ADI-2 for my monitors can this be done without an ADAT connection to the UFX+ (in the case I need them both for the Octamic or SPDIF) and then be able to route the UFX+ master out via the ADI USB? And, would I use a T connector to add the ADI to the Word Clock chain of the UFX+ and Octamic?

I am almost thinking of returning the ADI if I use the UFX+ for monitors.

Thanks again!

7 (edited by ramses 2017-06-05 15:23:22)

- Octamic XTC via MADI to UFX+.
- ARC USB via USB to UFX+ (to see Level Changes in the UFX+ display, RME will patch/enhance this in a later release
  so that this also works when you connect the ARC USB to the PC
- I am not using WC Clock, its not required in this setup
- Clock master is the UFX+, one or more Octamic XTC receive clock via MADI
- Best use of TM FX is to configure one or more XTCs as AUX-device
  By this you control gain and other settings inside of the one TM FX instance of the UFX+, very handy
- The ADI-2 Pro you can connect either via ADAT or AES, then its also clocked via ADAT or AES from the UFX+
   Then you can connect your monitors to the ADI-2 Pro and use your phones as well
   Then all the other analog outputs you may use for headphone mixes as you like
   Or you take another external device for that (there are different available, for only 1 stereo input or two.
- Its good to set the device which is closest to the PC (here UFX+) to use as clock master.
  If you require a different sample frequencies then all the other devices will receive the new clock from UFX+.

In terms of fiber cable, take Multimode 50/125:

I took this: SC-SC MM OM4 DUPLEX 1M - 50/125µm
https://www.reichelt.de/LWL-Kabel/SCSCO … CSCOM4DEV1