Topic: UFX crashing windows 10 on firewire - interface startup sequence

Hello, I recently switched my UFX from USB to firewire and while I find it better on latency, I started getting the following two issues:

- every sometimes at startup my UFX has a weird lcd display behaviour, as the image appears distorted and flickering until the interface is turned off and on again. I had the habit when on USB to turn my interface on AFTER booting the pc and I noticed that the issue only happens if I do that. I also see that when turning on the interface after booting the PC, as the firewire connection is established the UFX reeboots itself. I've read on the forum that while on firewire it is better to turn on the interface  BEFORE turning on the PC so by doing like that it seems I have solved my issue.

- The second issue which is still presenting is that my PC crashes with a blue screen showing an error message like "_IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" referring to the driver which caused the crash as being "fireface64.sys". It mostly happens when i send a random midi input to the interface through one of the ports (mainly MIDI 1) but today it also happened by pressing twice on the taskbar icon "Fireface Settings"

I run my UFX connected to a Windows 10 PC with latest OS updates. I run fireface drivers 3.122 and firmware revision 344/27/7. My firewire interface is a Startech PCI card PCI1394MP

Any hint?

Andrea

2 (edited by fiddler2007 2017-06-18 12:40:00)

Re: UFX crashing windows 10 on firewire - interface startup sequence

UFX and windows 7 64 ran perfect on my ASUS x99 with a VIA 1394a OCHI compliant firewire card. When i changed to Windows 10 64bit nothing but problems, occasionally recognized, more often not. Legacy drivers wouldn't work either, and i had to use USB. I was told a Texas Instruments PCIe card with both 1394a AND b (Firewire 800) should work, but these cards usually coss around $40. I then decided to exchange my UFX for an UFX ii, which works OK with windows 10, BUT not quite well with the motherboards' ASMedia USB chips. A PCIe USB 3.0 card i had with NEC chips does.

UPDATE: again and after quite a while i had dropouts again, and shortly after they turned into the pulsating distorted sound i had before. After removing and  reinstalling all my PCs' USB drivers for the present hardware, BOTH ASmedia Root USB hub, and ASmedia USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller drivers, it worked again. The UFX ii however still was connected to another PCIe USB 3.0 port with a NEC chip (Renesas eXtensible Host Controller USB 3.0).

UPDATE 2: Updated my ATI graphics drivers, choosing the elementary version, removed Bitdefender 2017 Total security and it's firewall. Installed 360 TS and Zonealarm free ... and my problems now seem to be over. - F

Re: UFX crashing windows 10 on firewire - interface startup sequence

Any solution to this issue? I’m having the exact same problem with my UFX since upgrading the firmware last month, June 2018, to what the screen shows as 1.63 when it boots up.   The screen is normal when i power up the device buts starts flashing and going haywire when the computer connects.  I'm running Windows 7 and haven't updated the operating system for a year or so because everything was working fine until now. Usually I can turn the UFX off and on and it reconnects to the computer and screen starts working but yesterday I installed the FireWire driver 3124 thinking maybe that would solve the problem and it started happening more rather than less. I turned the UFX on and off several times and the screen was flashing. Finally on the fourth time it returned to normal.