Topic: RME Driver / System Sound

Hi,

Introduction:

I am new here. I received my Babyface Pro yesterday and it works great with Ableton. Making music is just a hobby for me and I thought about getting a used Virus but instead I spent my money on the Babyface. I am really happy so far. I haven't used a dedicated sound card before (just used Asio4All).

Background:

I do not have a dedicated computer for music production, so I use my PC for making music but also all kind of things that use sounds like watching DVD, listening to music etc.  I have only one pair of speakers (KRK Rookit).

Question:

How do I set up my computer so I am able to use it for music production but also for other things that make sound?

Situation can be: Ableton only, Media Player (VPN Player of Windows Media player) only, but it should also be possible to use Ableton and for example watch a youtube tutorial video at the same time or using a Meda Player and Ableton at the same time.

Problem: In Section 9.1 the manual says that Babyface shoud not be the Preferred Device for playback as this could cause loss of synchronization and unwanted noises. However in Section 9.2  it says there is a Multichannel option. This confuses me. What do you recommend if I want to use system sound and Ableton at the same time.

Under 9.1 in the manual it says that one should use the onboard sound. But I can connect only one sound card to my one pair of speakers. Buying another pair of speaker and/or a Mixer is maybe the solution but certainly not my preferred option.

In short:

Let's say I want to watch a Tutorial Video for Ableton (Youtube or DVD) and at the same time I have Ableton open to follow the steps that are explained in the video. I have the Babyface Pro and only one pair of Speakers. What do you recommend?

I have tried the search function. If there is anything already maybe I used the wrong key words.

Sorry for the question that is propably a stupid one but I am a total beginner when it comes to audio cards. Maybe I am not the typical buyer of a professional product but any help is much appreciated.

Sorry for my bad english

2 (edited by vinark 2017-06-07 09:00:34)

Re: RME Driver / System Sound

Just set up an unused by ablton output as the windows audio out. For example adat 7/8 or spdif (but any will do). In totalmix you then route that software output to your speakers or phones.
You should disable system sounds, choose the no sounds preset, I mean the sounds like new email, mouse click windows start etc. Those sounds are mostly not 44k and can mess up your sample rate setting.
It works 100% here (but a different RME card, but that should not matter)

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

I see. So sec. 9.1 in the manual is only referring to sounds like mouse click, windows start etc.

Thats great.

I don't need these sounds.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Hello, newbie Babyface Pro user here..

I have a similar requirement to mambo44, and have everything pretty much working as I'd like, BUT..

Is it possible to have my system volume control the totalmix volume where I'm routed to?   ie, I am routing all system audio into ADAT 7:8.   Individual apps like youtube can control volume ok, however, my main system volume controls (through Windows 10, as well as directly from my keyboard) don't impact the Totalmix fader at all.   So even when they show mute, whatever the Totalmix fader value is will control the output.

Any way that I can map my system volume controls to that TM software channel??   Thanks, apologies if this is an obvious one I'm overlooking

See our Tips & Tricks section in this forum.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME