1 (edited by sylvainmoreau 2017-06-14 11:03:18)

Topic: multiple USB soundcards

Hi,

i have an old fireface UC and a fireface 802
i would like to use the UC to extend the inputs (no outs)
i plug them both with USB and i see the 2 Total mix windows for each. Levels are working.
But in Nuendo i can only have one soundcard. If i go to Device Setup / VST Audio System there's only one i can select (i don't even see the UC displayed there.)

Is that even possible ? or do i have to use the UC on standalone and send audio via ADAT to the 802 ?
(windows 10 x64)
thx for help

Re: multiple USB soundcards

I don't think so, at least with Cubase 9 you can't, you'll have to interconnect both units themselves,, use one as master, when possible, and address the lot via one IMO  .. F

3 (edited by ramses 2017-06-14 14:42:03)

A DAW can only load one ASIO driver.
The UC and FF802 use the same ASIO driver.
In this case Cubase should be able to access both units.

With the MADIface driver I can access 2 UFX+ and one ADI-2 Pro in Cubase to put an example.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by sylvainmoreau 2017-06-14 15:38:37)

thx for answers.

well for the moment i didn't find the trick.
i'm using UC with ADAT to 802. If both cards are connected i only get the TOTALMIX of the UC so i can't work.
Problem is i have to set the inputs of UC and disconnect it wich means i can't change things after that.
not the vest way to go.

a steinberg forum is mentioning to use asio4all woud that be recommanded with RME soundcards ?

why is that that i can't find TOTALMIX UC and TOTALMIX802.. like 2 separate software that i can work side by side ?or at least swich fro one to another so i can set both cards without disconnecting them ?
i'm really struggling with the TOTALMIX sometime if it doesn't launch at startup i can hardly find it in my C: i have to scan files to find hidden totalmix.. normally severals with same names.. it's a little bit messy.

In your first post you stated that you have both TotalMix. ?

UC and 802 use the same ASIO driver, so all channels will show up in an ASIO host.

If you have problems then most probably you use both interfaces on the same internal USB port. The manual explains how to check that and that it is better to put them on different ones. Also both units have to be synced, see manual again.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

first make sure they are working one at the time. To me it seems the UC is not working or installed. Try without the 802 connected.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Then in Cubase you simply need to go to the VST connections menue and i.e. add all available channels as stereo.
Then you will see in which order the channels of both devices become listed one after the other.
Make some notes about it.
Then you can add them one by one as you require them .. some maybe mono, some maybe stereo ...

@Matthias: would it possible that RME releases a generic ASIO driver which supports all interfaces / cards ?
Then whatever RME recording device you would connect to the computer would be reachable by one ASIO driver.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

No, that is not possible. The interface hardware works too differently.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewto … 4&t=48
tried this Ramses?

Vincent, Amsterdam

This is about multi client .. what I meant is one driver for all RME devices.

I thought that it might be possible to create something like a "RMEgeneric" driver which is being loaded by the application
and then within the driver there is a hardware recorgnition like i.e.
if this is a
-  UFX - UCX - 802 - UC, Babyface, Babyface Pro -> jump to the code in the driver which represents the driver_usb_win
-  UFX+ / UFX II, MADIface XT / Pro / USB, OctaMic XTC, ADI-2 Pro, Digiface USB -> jump to the code which represents driver_madiface_win

I thought / hoped, that something like different  device support, which we have already inside of driver_XXX_win.
could be more generalized to a driver which has the support routines for all interfaces.

Yeah/no it is not multi client (programs), but multi card/asio drivers and it will show up as one asio client and works good, at least it did, I don't use/need it now. If RME could/would make anything it would be something like this. It is better then the mac aggregate device.

Vincent, Amsterdam

12 (edited by sylvainmoreau 2017-06-15 10:36:13)

Hi,

thanks all for your answers.
I had some little issues, some clips in sounds that buffer would not fix so i reinstalled drivers and now all is working fine.
i see 1 totalmix window and can select both 802 or UC from top right drop-down menu or open a second window from File/New totalmix window.
from nuendo i see one driver : ASIO fireface USB
and now in the VST connections input i can see all inputs labeled (1) for the UC and (2) for the 802

Works amazing !