Topic: UFX ii - Squeeling and glitching out WIN10

Hi there,

I've just bought a new computer and my plan was to spend today installing everything again -
however -
I failed at the first hurdle! My UFX ii doesn't seem to be happy.

Drivers etc installed fine - Total Mix and settings look ok but when I go into my DAW to start working I'm getting squeeling and the audio breaks up. No CPU spikes, no underuns in buffer. The problem persists in both DAWS that I use and also happens in the system sounds.

Here's the setup:
Win 10 PRO 64BIT
ASUS X99 PROii motherboard
I7 9600K 3.2ghz
32GB DDR4
ASUS GTX1050Ti
FIREFACE UFXii

I've tried:
Unistalling almost everything (all Windows features are pretty much disabled at this point)
Removed GTX1050TI drivers (as I heard they can cause problems)
Set up the WDM drivers/settings numerous different ways as per RME manual
Tried every USB port on my computer (USB 2, 3 and 3.1)
Dissabled all HD AUDIO Drivers/Devices

It seems like a driver issue or a conflict somewhere as when I restart the the RME it works for a short period of time then bugs out.

I had the UFX working beautifully on my WIN7 machine so being new to WIN10 I really hope there's something I'm missing!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
K

Re: UFX ii - Squeeling and glitching out WIN10

Some ideas:

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25456

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25554

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25632

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

There is no product like "ASUS X99 PROii" can you please post an URL of ASUS product page, thanks.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi Matthias,

Thank you for your response. 

I have read these and played around with setting most the night.  As per a suggestion on another thread, I have installed the "Microsoft Basic Display Adaptor" in place of the Nvidea one and this seems to have resolved the problem for now. (fingers crossed!)

I suppose my question now is if anyone has had this problem with this or a similar hardware configuration on WINDOWS 7?

I'm more than happy to clean instal WIN7 onto this system but I'm trying to figure out if it's a problem with Windows 10 or Nvidia? 

Ramses,
Well spotted- It was a typo: I meant ASUS X99 A- ii Motherboard - https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/X99-A-II/

Thanks for your help guys!
K

5 (edited by fiddler2007 2017-06-20 14:07:58)

Had the same

.."shit"..

until i figured it out, with an ASUS x99 PRO USB 3.1 mainboard and after installing Windows 10 64bit ... my problems were over when i dumped my bought Bitdefender 2017 Total Security, and as such especially it's built in firewall.

Installed the free 360 TS antivirus and Zonealarm free instead ow, both can be set to ignore individual prograns, folders and even entire harddisk partitions. Besides i think the ASmedia USB 2.0 and 3.1 drivers downloaded from ASUS mess up the USB signals from my UFX ii. I had a PCIe card with a NEC (Renesas) USB 3.0 chip on it, old ASUS U3S6 card, and use this for mu UFX ii, smooth ever since except once when switching on the UFX solved dropouts during playback. 

ASUS x99 mainboard and Windows 10 64bit: Get the latest BIOS, USB and chip-set stuff for it, and i left the mainboards' BIOS settings regarding these as "default", but switched off WIFI to release the PCIe slot for the NEC USB card.

I have an ATI radeon R7 360, and installed just the elementary drivers, no gamers stuff etc., as suggested elsewhere on some forum. Maybe this is also true for NVDIA?. - F

PS there is a june firmware update: https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fu … ce_win.zip
It seems only relevant for ARC USB users: "UFX II updated to DSP 10: Display changes to Volume screen when changing Volume at the host, also via ARC USB connected to the computer."

Hi Fiddler2007,

Thanks for your ideas and sharing your experience. I tried these with my setup and unfortunately I couldn't get it to fix my problem. sad
It seems clear to me the conflict was coming from a combo of the nvidea drivers, rme drivers and win10 all having a bit of an argument. The moment I disable nvidea drivers and instal Microsoft Display adaptor driver the problem was resolved every time.

So, I initially was planning on settling with the lower quality video output until I started coming across problems with plugins that wouldn't run properly. Vps avenger being a key one that wasn't happy. I contacted their support who immediately identified the problem as graphics driver related and they were right. Switching to nvidea driver rectified the problem with that vst!

So now I have installed windows 7!!
Everything runs great - waaay more snappy in my daw- ufx and total mix work amazing and no audio problems to speak of.

I guess I'll have to upgrade to win 10 at some point but tbh it seems way too bloated for what I need anyway!

Thanks for your ideas guys

7 (edited by fiddler2007 2017-06-22 08:05:48)

Indeed i read somewhere that NVDIA gave someone serious audio problems on win 10, which were solved using an ATI radeon. But I wanted to use windows 10, had too many issues with 7, especially regarding permissions while installing of software. About once a month i had to use Windows Repair or "takeownership' to fix matters, time consuming. Also Windows 7: i had to reinstall older boot partitions quite often. I must say so far my windows 10 system,with UEFI and SSD, boots extremely fast and runs very stable for about 6 months now, quite contrary to windows 7; i also never had a blue screen anymore with windows 10 LoL. But Bitdefender is a NoNo for me .... BTW -F

cmds wrote:

Hi Fiddler2007,
So now I have installed windows 7!!
Everything runs great - waaay more snappy in my daw- ufx and total mix work amazing and no audio problems to speak of.
I guess I'll have to upgrade to win 10 at some point but tbh it seems way too bloated for what I need anyway!

Nice that Win7 works still perfect also for you.

I currently regard it still as risk to upgrade, also in terms of privacy.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

9 (edited by fiddler2007 2017-06-22 13:51:13)

Installing windows 10. FIRST thing to do is run two tools: OOSU10, and Win10Privacy. Kills 'em all they say, and the "Disable Windows Tracking" tool, http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details … _tool.html is also quite effective, and i prefer the "classic shell" interface too .... F

Thanks .. at some point I will try it in combination with ntlite home or professional
https://www.ntlite.com/