Topic: UFX recorded in 44.1 with Octamics in 48kHz, now audio/vid out of sync

Hi,

A friend recorded a gig for me using my UFX and two Octamic 1 (via ADAT, clocked via WC). He mentioned he had trouble getting them to sync to the UFX but as I was abroad and we couldn't figure out remotely what the issue on the night was. The gear is in a rack, ADAT + WC cables plugged in and the dip switches don't change (obviously he also made sure cable connections were tight and working). Still a bit of a mystery, especially since he's recorded more for me since and I think (hope) that's all fine.

So somehow the pres were still on 48kHz but his DAW would only let him record in 44.1kHz. I totally forgot about the whole issue until I started mixing yesterday. Now when I try to sync it with the 7 cameras, which record audio to their internal mics (and all sync perfectly), my audio seems to be shorter (slightly faster) than the camera audio. Since the camera audio is very loud and distorted I can't make out proper transients. Syncing it visually, you can tell it's off after a while.

Any idea how to fix that? What can I do?

Thanks,
Peter

MacPro 2009 5.1 (10.13.6, 2x3.46 6-Core), UFX+, FF800, Sequoia 16, Samplitude ProX5, Protools, Logic

Re: UFX recorded in 44.1 with Octamics in 48kHz, now audio/vid out of sync

After a bit more testing...the multi track audio plays back faster and higher in pitch alongside the camera audio. With Varispeed in Protools (PT12 native) I've managed to match it by eye using the TCE tool and it works okay with the video. I can enter a value as it seems but the 101.34% it has doesn't match any 44.1/48kHz relationship. Any idea? And can I use the sampling frequency options on the UFX Settings to play it back slower right away? Would that help?

Thanks!

MacPro 2009 5.1 (10.13.6, 2x3.46 6-Core), UFX+, FF800, Sequoia 16, Samplitude ProX5, Protools, Logic

From the sounds of your description, you have some files which identify themselves as being 48 kHz. sample-rate, but in actuality are 44.1. That's why when you play them at 48, they sound slightly speeded up.

Can you open the files in any other program? Do they truly identify themselves as being 44.1? 48? If they identify themselves as being 48, then your solution is two-fold: you need to re-write the file headers so that they identify themselves as being 44.1 WITHOUT DOING A SAMPLE RATE CONVERSION. Once they are properly self identified, you should then do a standard sample rate conversion to 48, which will create new files, at the proper SR and pitch, which should sync up properly in your session.

If you have Izotope RX, the Resampler module has the feature where you can "Change Tag Only", so without doing anything to the existing stream of digital numbers, it can change a file's self-identification to a different SR - you'd change your files from "showing" 48 to "showing" 44.1. From there, the next thing would be to ACTUALLY change the sample rate from 44.1 to 48, generating new files at the proper rate which should sync up with your project.

For all I know, Samplitude might very well be able to do this by itself, but I don't work with that program so I can't be definitive.

Frank Lockwood
https://LockwoodARS.com
Fireface 800, Firmware 2.77
Drivers: Win10, 3.125; Mac, 3.36

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your reply! The audio files are in 44.1kHz with every program I open them with. What I need to do somehow is save them as 48kHz without a conversion and then save them to 44.1 with conversion so they slow down and go down in pitch. I don't have iZotope though, any other suggestion?

Thanks,
Peter

If you just need to edit the 'header' or file properties then you can do this in nearly any wav editor.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias,

Thanks, I'll give it a go. The WAV editor/header issue is not as tricky as getting e.g. Protools to import it but changing speed and pitch. I'll have a look.

Thanks,
Peter

7 (edited by fl 2017-06-22 15:42:56)

Here's a Windows Utility which could help - http://www.railjonrogut.com/HeaderInvestigator.htm

I know you're on a Mac, but maybe you have a friend...?

Frank Lockwood
https://LockwoodARS.com
Fireface 800, Firmware 2.77
Drivers: Win10, 3.125; Mac, 3.36

fl wrote:

I know you're on a Mac, but maybe you have a friend...?

Or Bootcamp? :-)

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

@Frank,

Thanks again! I can ask someone, no problem.

@Daniel

Currently abroad and my laptop doesn't have it.

Found out it's not the ratio of 48kHz to 44.1kHz, it's less. No idea how it happened exactly but with Varispeed in Protools I was able to match the final bounce to the camera audio. It's not sample precise but hopefully good enough. Video editing will happen soon, then I'll know. smile

Thanks everyone!!
Peter