Topic: First time RayDat user. Can't get this thing to work.

So I installed the latest drivers and firmware updates, but the instruction manual seems a bit vague on some things that those of us who are new to this type of interface (PCIe) may run into trouble with. Admittedly, if I were a little smarter/tech savvy, I probably wouldn't have this problem, but the truth is I am not as smart as I thought I was when I dropped $950/US for this thing. I just want to get to recording and mixing.

Connections:
My hardware is connected as follows: Focusrite Clarett Octopre ADAT output into RayDat ADAT input port 1, Behringer ADA800 ADAT output into RayDat ADAT input port 2. I currently have the RayDat's first ADAT output port (pehraps incorrectly) connected to the Octopre's ADAT input, as I would like to use the Octopre's Line Outputs to feed the analog signal to my power amp (Crown XLS1000) . The Octopre features an "ADAT >Line mode", which feeds the "Optical In" signal to the "Line Out" connectors.

My Problem:
1). Can't seem to synch the equipment together. All inputs in Hammerfall DSP settings say "No Lock"
2) When I play a song in Pro Tools, I can see the meter moving in TotalMix ADAT 1/2, under "Hardware Inputs", meter also shows signal in TotalMix's "Main" Strip, in the "Control Room" tab, but I'm getting no sound to my speakers.
3). Can't get signal from Octopre to RayDat. Plugged in mic to test, Clarett shows a signal, but no signal in either TotalMix or Pro Tools.

I'm using Windows 10, if that helps. I would greatly appreciate any help in getting this system up and running.

Re: First time RayDat user. Can't get this thing to work.

TotalMix Basics:

http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … rnal-equi/
http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … al-Videos/

Set on RayDAT clock to internat and configure the other interfaces to get the clock via ADAT (from RayDAT).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

No Lock means there is no input signal at all. Did you plug the outputs into outputs instead of inputs? And how do you plan to sync Octopre and ADA8000?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by wrcked 2017-06-30 22:35:11)

Thank you for your reply. I plugged the outs of the Preamps into the Inputs of the RayDat, and vice versa (I'm aware of which is which). All my devices are slaved to the RayDat. But one thing I just realized: As I was checking the box for anything I might be missing, I did discover the 3-pin internal cable, still in the box, not connected. After looking it up, I found that this is a word clock cable. This could be the root, and I'm sure I'll have to open my computer back up to connect it, but I have no idea where that cable is supposed to go. The manual mentions this 3-pin connector, but doesn't specify where you're supposed to plug it to or from. Any help there would be greatly appreciated!

The 3 pin cable is only of use when connecting one RayDAT with a second one. As long as you see No Lock it seems there is no input signal. Set the card to clock mode Internal and connect input and output directly (loopback) to check basic functionality.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I'd like to thank you guys for your kind support. I was impressed by how quickly people came to my aid. I tried the loopback, and it worked, so that indicates that everything was fine with the RayDat. Now, I'm not proud to admit this part, but I thought to myself "it can't be that BOTH of my brand new preamps are flawed. There's only one thing standing between these new preamps, and this brand new PCIe card, and that's this baffoon (myself)." I proceeded to swap the input end of the Clarett with the output end of the Clarett, and there it was, Synced! I did the same on the ADA8000, and same thing. I guess I was wrong when I said I knew which ports on the RayDat were ins and which were outs. I've been doing audio engineering for 15 years, and this has got to be one of the dumbest mistakes I've made in all that time.

On a side note, I am absolutely loving the RayDat, and Totalmix is like a dream come true for routing anything to anything, the possibilities seem endless. Thanks again, guys. This problem has been solved!