1 (edited by knuckle47 2017-07-03 04:56:51)

Topic: Power supply longevity

As I continue to  read every possible article posted in an attempt to learn a few new tricks, someone questions leaving the audio interface on and not turning it off. Additionally, someone also questions about a replacement power supply to replace one that is failing.

To my thinking, it dictates not leaving the RME interface on continuously as it may shorten the life of the power supply and cause failure.  This just seems to be a good percentage of unit failure.  Of course some people chalk it up to experience and some swear or curse at it and move on.

Would any frequent reader extrapolate a similar thought or am I being too concerned. It's not in my hobbyist plan to purchase another UFX + because I've let it run as long as my computer ...my MOTU 896HD held on for 14 yrs.  some times it was on for weeks.  Not that I record so much it's that I'd forgotten to switch it off. Hoping that 14 years from now I'll be 80 listening to some old and older recordings on my Same UFX+

Does anyone have any factual information to confirm or deny that?  Thanks

Babyface Pro, UFX+ via Thunderbolt, Win 10, Cubase 9.5 Pro, Asus Z270 i7700k Guitarist-1961

Re: Power supply longevity

It is fully logical and not surprising that leaving a unit on 24/7 will reduce its lifetime compared to a unit running 10/7. Sometimes an argument comes up that a unit is more stressed when switched on and off repeatedly. That must be 5 minutes intervalls to make a difference.

Simply turn the unit off when you know you don't use it for the next hour or so.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks MC, this is a subject where there is a lot of noise on the internet and I was not 100% sure what to think. And unless you are a designer/electro technician you have no idea what is true. Your advice is really simple and practical. Thanks!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Yes...completely agree.  Nothing better than coming from the source.

Babyface Pro, UFX+ via Thunderbolt, Win 10, Cubase 9.5 Pro, Asus Z270 i7700k Guitarist-1961