1 (edited by all 2017-07-08 11:11:14)

Topic: UFX all of a sudden, large burst of static

hi !

i bought my UFX a long time ago, i remember it was just after DUREC was implemented.

no problem, no complain, i love it. use it on a daily basis. protools / ableton etc etc

and then all of a sudden, i switch it on on the morning, and then a LARGE burst of static occurs, "growing", louder and louder,  that i can't stop with master fader (!!) : must switch it off ! AWFULL and very loud.
(did no installation prior to this...)

and then i decided to change the FW, so i did the update = 161 to 163, and update the driver to 221 and TM 143...

still occurs !

tried with no usb, tried with different PSU cable, tried everything...

and then, when static burst is growing, if i change the workspace, it stops and if i wait for 10 minutes, it seems not to occur again...

seems like the "gain" are becaming crazy...

i'm really freaking out, because, this, with a client or in a live situation, would be, ..... i prefer not to tink about it...

macpro "tank" 1075

(it seems to be like the static problem that it is discussed on GS....)

bertrand, @ paris

Re: UFX all of a sudden, large burst of static

Check the errors listed in Hardware&Diagnosis, Test result.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

ok, well i did not know this H&D, but i found it in the ufx (options) : so it says = test results = 0/0000/0000/18/0/172. is that what you asked me to check ?

... i would add, that it seems to me (but, of course, so it's so weird, that i can't be sure) that this is a workspace issue... is it possible that all of a sudden some workspaces to become corrupted ?

well, i think it's a matter of time : after 30 minutes of UFX on, no loud noise, never, but if i switch it off, and on, NOISE (for 30 minutes). i think it's a matter of psu ??? i bought this unit in another city (FRANCE, LYON), i'm now in paris, and the shop that did sell it to me closed years ago... where to repair ? b

Contact our local distributor in France for service:

Audio-Technica
Contact person: Evangéline Pirot
11 rue des Pyramides, 75001 Paris
Phone: +33 (1) 43 728 282
E-Mail: info@audio-technica.fr

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

TY very much, MC. so i understand that i should go on repair.

8 (edited by all 2017-08-23 12:10:06)

ok, because it's summer, and because i was working with the ufx, i could not / did not contact french distributor yet, BUT may found what was going on : (may help other users) : seems that it was a problem of preset / workspaces / pref : i deleted all all theses + pref (and lost valuables setting but, ok, not that valuable...) and then it seems to work again.... to be continued... PS : unfortunattly i just forgot how to set the preset / state / workspace of the totalmix i want ufx booting on, each morning ??

I doubt this is a solution. As the UFX get older we now see some units with RAM problems. RAM is needed for Echo and Reverb, and if no longer working correctly it causes all kinds of noise when using Reverb/Echo. See the Test Results screen in Hardware&Diagnostics, which should show 0.

After your full reset you might just not have activated Echo and Reverb again...

To have the exact same state on every boot configure the UFX to the desired state, switch it off, then write protect the file last.FirefaceUFX1.xml.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

10 (edited by all 2017-08-24 12:43:48)

thanks MC for beeing honest about this ufx age / ram problem. and TY for the "last fireface" trick ! my answers :  1/ the test results shows now 188 as the last number (i understand it should say zero everywhere, though). 2 / i never (or really nearly never) use reverb/echo. i tried it as i speak and..... yes, it brings loud white noise. WOW. 3 / could you give me the proper thing to say to the person who will be in charge in fixing my unit ? is this ram issue can be fixed AT LEAST ? i am a bit freaked out. but once again, i thank you for theses answers of yours.

is this answer applies to me too ? https://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/775796Capturedecran20170824a134645.jpghttps://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/775796Capturedecran20170824a134645.jpg

Yes, please try them.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

done. first 164, still noise, then 165, still noise. made "flash all" each time, no change ! i have this white noise since i just touched it few minutes ago (last 3 days were ok with workspace/pref deleted, no reverb/echo touched), and even if a workspace don't use it... OMG

Then please send it in for hardware repair. You will get a quotation before they perform anything.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

15 (edited by all 2018-04-23 13:15:36)

hi rme, here's 3 lines just for saying THANK YOU. i did send my unit via Audio Technica paris (thank you antoine V from A.T. team), it costs me 264 E shipping included. it took a month but finally my UFX came back in perfect shape... so to a company that repairs gear (not to mention a company which software works with all computers) i want to say THANK YOU. you guys rocks ! b from paris

HI, i have a similar issue for UFX and the HW Diagnosis test result reads 0,0000,0000,18,0,84.
WOuld that indicate some psu or ram issue?
where should i bring to for service in Singapore?

RAM seems ok.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

does the numbers indicate any hardware issues that requires sending  the unit in somewhere for servicing?
(seems like there's no service center in spore.)

>does the numbers indicate any hardware issues

No. So it might be the power supply.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME