Topic: TotalMix not showing FF800 onboard pre's

Hi! I'm trying to record drums through a RME FF800 inteface. I am using the 8 line inputs in the back for my outboard preamps, routed correctly via TotalMix and the audio goes into Pro Tools just fine.

However, the mic tracking my hihat via XLR going into the first onboard preamp in front on the FF800 is not getting any signal, and I am not seeing ANY of the four onboard preamps as channels in the TotalMix window. How can I get TotalMix to show the onboard mic preamps?

Pro Tools 12.5 is not showing any of the onboard mic preamps in the Pro Tools I/O settings page either. All the lines (and ADAT options) on the FF800 are listed there correctly, but no mic pre's. Its as if they are simply not there as far as the software is conserned.

Best regards, Cristoffer Iversen, Norway.

Re: TotalMix not showing FF800 onboard pre's

FF800 Settings dialog, set front to replace rear.
Is that a condenser mic? +48V active?
Note that you have only 10 channels analog, so 8 back + 4 front is not possible.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hey, MC and thank you for chiming in smile
I will check out the options you are refering to, great stuff!

Its was a SM57, but I never got to the option of switching phantom power on or off, since the entire channel was missing in TotalMix.

The FF800 cannot handle inputs from all the 8 line ins at the back AND the 4 pre's at the same time!?

See product description

"[...] Two of the four mic inputs are permanently available as channels 9 and 10, the other two can be used together with or alternatively to the inputs 7/8 on the back. [...]"

And on top of the page it says clearly 10 x analog i/o, so its not the same with like i.e. 802, UFX*

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

MC wrote:

Note that you have only 10 channels analog, so 8 back + 4 front is not possible.

Not seeing anything resembling "Set front to replace rear" in either settings or preferences?

ramses wrote:

See product description

"[...] Two of the four mic inputs are permanently available as channels 9 and 10, the other two can be used together with or alternatively to the inputs 7/8 on the back. [...]"

And on top of the page it says clearly 10 x analog i/o, so its not the same with like i.e. 802, UFX*

Thats fair enough, and not a problem, I can work fine with the 8 lines + 2 onboard pre's. But then again, none of the 4 onboard preamps are showing in my totalmix window or in pro tools at the moment sad

stormshadow2k wrote:
MC wrote:

Not seeing anything resembling "Set front to replace rear" in either settings or preferences?

This is NOT in TotalMix FX. It's the FF800 Settings dialog as described in the manual to set clock options etc.

And you also might have limited bandwidth to 8 channels...in there...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

8 (edited by stormshadow2k 2017-07-15 16:15:24)

MC wrote:
stormshadow2k wrote:
MC wrote:

This is NOT in TotalMix FX. It's the FF800 Settings dialog as described in the manual to set clock options etc.

And you also might have limited bandwidth to 8 channels...in there...

Yeah, so I discovered wink Haven't fiddeled much around in that perticular window. The options there let me choose between line input 1,7 or 8 sharing the same output as the first two preamps (I might remember it wront atm, been a few hours since I was at the computer). Front / Rear / Share (or something to that effect) This will not help me however, as I need the individual outputs to be on separate tracks in Pro Tools.

Your comment did lead me to discover that in TotamMix FX the stereo channel called "AN 9/10" was the two right most preamps.  So by separating those into 2 mono tracks I got individual control over those preamps which is nice. So thank you very much. I'm not 100 % there yet though, cos the two mono tracks (AN9 and AN10) do not have the controls for phantom power etc that I've seen in some videos. But at least I can now connect and record 10 separate mics big_smile