Topic: UFX strange freeze problem

Hi all

Recently my fireface UFX seems to be causing issues with my DAW, cubase 7.5. I have had the UFX about 4/5 years I think and has been solid as a rock until recently.

The problem is that it makes cubase freeze and also total mix freezes, you can navigate the computer in the back ground through windows explorer and audio still streams from cubase, but it can not be stopped, the little screen on the UFX still works -  but the GUI is locked for both cubase and Total mix.....  if you turn off the UFX it cubase and total mix un freezes, you can restart the computer and all is fine for a couple of hours and it then does it again it seems. It seems to happen after a couple of hours each time, although this afternoon it ran for about 5hrs before crashing..

I have updated the firmware and installed current drivers, I have tried reinstalling the DAW and windows, checked the RAM with windows diagnostic tools, the ram was okay. I have tried a second USB port and a new cable and had the same problem

Anyone come across anything like this before?

Any help would be great.

Wayne

Re: UFX strange freeze problem

Did you check the UFX itself for errors in the display? Hardware&Diagnostics, Test Result. Normal is just zeroes.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

No I haven't, how do I run an error test on the UFX?

Okay found it.

As I scroll through I get these numbers

0, 0000, 0000, 18, 0, 36

Does this shed any light on what might be the issue?

It at least shows the unit's DSP and RAM work correctly. As you replaced the USB cable already my next guess would be the USB port. You wrote that you tried a second one, but did not mention if that one is from the same hub or not. The UFX manual explains how to find out and to check.

Otherwise this will be extremely difficult to track down...an error every 5 hours...maybe restarting is the solution unitl the issue shows up more often...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Okay yep will try and run it on another hub.

Hello!

I have the exact same problem. I am running Windows 7 (64-bit), Cubase 7.5 (latest build), and UFX II that bought very recently. Cubase has been very stable with my previous interface, but now it crashes regularly in a way that I need to reboot the computer from the power switch. TotalmixFX also freezes, though audio is still running normally. My system crashes every 1-2 hours, which of course is completely unacceptable when working on a project, so I would hope this issue would be resolved. I am thinking of updating Cubase to the latest version in hope of remedying the issue.

What I observed is that when I had the option "Enable MMCSS for ASIO" disabled for a while, the crashes were much more frequent - Cubase crashed every 10-15 minutes or so. When I swiched the option back on, the crashes seem to have gone back to once every 1-2 hours. Could this help pinpoint the issue?

I will also try to replace the USB cable and switch to another hub and report back when I know if it helped.

8 (edited by fiddler2007 2017-08-25 07:31:31)

My UFX running on windows 7 and firewire worked fine. Then i decided to install windows 10. Firewire problems. Legacy or no legacy drivers. Alas=> USB as suggested by RME support. Did did work as flawlessly as i hoped for at all times. Now i have a UFX II.

The USB 2 and 3 Asmedia chips of my ASUS motherboard have problems, so i installed a NEC Renessas USB 3.0 PCIe card. Most of the times it's OK. Until yesterday alas after a windows reinstalled older boot partition. Now i have occasional drop outs with any audio program. Guess reinstalling USB will fix this.  Just decided to get me a Sonnox USB 3.0 card, an expensive latest model one; found out that the cheaper ones are of an older model, and i am curious if these older ones are OK ....

Is there anyone with Sonnox USB running smoothly as promised by RME among others? F

PS found this USB tool, might come in handy at times ... http://www.afterdawn.com/software/syste … view64.cfm

As an update to my situation: As suggested by MC, I changed the UFX II to a different USB hub, and made a note that it's the only device in the same hub. This can indeed be done as adviced in the manual. After this, I haven't encountered the freeze problem again. I haven't done any very long sessions after this, but my system has been stable a couple of hours at a time (which was not the case before I changed the USB hub).

I haven't encountered any new freezes even in longer sessions, so changing UFX II to a new USB hub (where it's the only device) seemed to fix my problem! smile