Topic: Babyface PRO users be aware! Totalmix hardware outputs

This is for all Babyface Pro users, even with all faders down in your Totalmix console, interface  still passes signal to the monitors. If you happen to use active monitors you better stick hardware volume control in between and turn it all the way down whenever you try connect cables . I just fried my monitors by highest high end interface in the world,  and I'm in the hole for over thousand eur to replace power amp modules!!!

Re: Babyface PRO users be aware! Totalmix hardware outputs

???? This makes no sense, to me.

Nothing passes to your monitors unless you have setup routing and fader levels to do so.

3 (edited by ramses 2017-07-19 08:50:06)

Sorry to hear that. I think the following happened. The RME device was most likely in submix mode. Turning down faders has only effect on the "submix" (which is per selected hardware output channel).

The 1st thing before actual use is to ensure proper listening levels like you would do with analog mixers and monitors.
If your monitors have a volume knob then it is easy to ensure that.
If your montors dont have a voume knob then you have simply to be careful (use of monitor controller or 1st to use phones only and speakers finally if you have setup the TM FX mixer.

IMHO .. The only proper solution for monitors without volume knob is to get either a monitor controller or smth like a passive dampening element. Because .. its too easy to come back to 0dB by double clicking to the Main Out fader "by accident". As a double click toggles between max volume and your previous volume setting.
A good monitor controller is i.e. this here: https://www.thomann.de/de/spl_2control_black.htm

I personally turn monitors down as much as possible, that even a 0dB signal can't fry anything.
I keep a little volume reserve on top for listening music by using "gain tag" information to have an unique listening volume.

If you need further assistence, then look at my guide.
I added now a warning note to adjust volume levels on speakers before 1st use to be on the safe side:
http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … rnal-equi/

Also good video tutorials about TM FX capabilities here:
http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … al-Videos/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks, well, you've just more elaborately explained message I'm trying to get across for everyone using any device by RME controlled by TotalMix.My dynaudio BM15 does not have volume knob, I do not care what mode Totalmix was at the time, but I'm pretty positive all - I repeat all faders were all the way down across the board- inputs, soft playback and outputs, main out  as well. I've even made preset for such scenario, when needed to reconnect outboard stuff. What actually happened was, I was syncing my compressor inserted in master bus of may DAW via optical in/out of baby face when just a short little tiny crackling buzz sent my monitors literally smoking. RME as reputable company should make all users aware there's no hard  protection of active monitors without third party hardware in between  TotalMix controlled converter and actual monitors. That's all. RME is not high end product manufacturer as they often trying to claim and their products are often used by beginners with little or no experience whatsoever. I'm trying  to let them know what to avoid. I was religiously powering off my monitors whenever required, didn't do it once, paid for it.Just want rookies to stay away from troubles.Have a nice day!

Your main problem is explained here:

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25399

Big level mismatch. With a proper hardware setup this would not have happened.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks, great article, however totally different topic. All my faders were down - NO LEVEL MISMATCH!!!

7 (edited by ramses 2017-07-20 05:25:55)

I think you misunderstand the term level mismatch. Pls read it again:

"Level mismatch is a continuing topic on our forum and support line. The most often reported problem is that active monitors are far too sensitive. The low volume click and pop when turning a unit on/off turns into a quite loud one. A volume control pot then has a very limited operation area, and the master fader in TotalMix has to be lowered to below -20 dB constantly. This also raises concerns about reduced audio resolution. With such a level mismatch hum and noise can also become audible."

You even do not have a volume knob at your monitors so that you have to reduce the output volume in TotalMix FX to an even lower level than -20dB constantly as MC tells. I assume that with your monitors without a volume knob you need to drive constantly at around -30 to -35dB.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Same topic. When whatever burp/surge/click of initializing the unit is so loud that it manages to harm external equipment, then you do have your faders far below 0 in normal operation.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME