Topic: Need FireWire Card Guidance Please

Hi,

I have a very old DAW system with a FF400 that still works wonderfully. However, due to the age of the DAW I have decided to build another box using newer parts.  It will still be an XP 32-bit system.  However, the motherboard may not have PCI slots, rather something more current (PCIe?).   In my current DAW I have a FireWire card with a TI chipset, which was one of the "recommended types" at the time.  Is there a preferred type or brand of FireWire card I should look for to put in the new DAW?

Thanks for any guidance,

Sonic

Re: Need FireWire Card Guidance Please

I wouldn't use XP anymore, by this you are stuck to 32bit which is a little nothing nowadays.
I would get a Win7 Professional 64bit SP1 System Builder as long as they are still available in the shops.
By this you will also be able to use Sata, SSDs, Firewire, USB and USB3 without major issues.

If you want  a real quality build, then have a look at this:
http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … mponenten/

Therein you will also find this Fw card: https://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/exs … 75938.html
Avoid a Fw card with TI XIO2200A chip, its buggy in terms of reacting to interrupts.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by SonicExplorer 2017-07-26 20:17:00)

Yeah, I understand the initial reaction for most is to advise against XP, but I already have a ton of time and money invested in software that is working great for me, and the last thing I want to do is start all over again.  Especially since I'm old as dirt and probably won't be doing this for more than 5-10 more years anyway.  An XP DAW remains wonderful for my situation.

Thanks for the card suggestion, and warning.

Any additional suggestions/guidance on cards from others is greatly appreciated....

Actually, something just occurred to me....am I going to have problems with XP seeing a newer PCIe FireWire card?  Do I need to make sure an XP driver comes with the card?  Been so long since I installed my current PCI card I can't recall....

Sonic

What do you have now? I am on a P5Q with q9550 quad OCed to 3.6ghz and that is a great machine for XP and has working firewire and if needed takes TI PCI firewire cards. It performs equal to current quad cores at the same speed. They are easy to get second hand and very cheap.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

5 (edited by SonicExplorer 2017-07-26 23:05:00)

I have a P4 2.8Ghz system.  Ok, try and stop laughing now.  lol

I don't need much more CPU power, a 25% - 50% improvement in CPU would be more than plenty. I was thinking of trying to go with a Core 2 Duo, but it's the motherboard that has me stumped in all this right now, hence the FireWire card question.  I could try to order an older motherboard that has PCI and get some IDE drives and probably be okay.  OR, I could order a newer board (like a 4th gen) and try to go with SATA and PCIe, but then none of my old cards would work, so I'd at least have to get a new PCIe FireWire card to be able to use the FF400 (which is my primary interface).

Anyway, that's the bigger explanation.  Sort of outside the specific question in the OP but if anybody has any guidance when trying to piece together a system that can run XP feel free to let me know.  Any "watch out for" or "make sure you get" type of advice is welcome, anything that might help me avoid potholes.

Sonic

6 (edited by Timur Born 2017-07-27 08:14:15)

1. You can get one of the many Syba SY-PEX30016 variants (TI XIO2213B) that are sold under various brand names. The current revision comes with a v2.0 text printed on its board.

The TI chipsets are not true PCIe controllers, instead the XIO2213B incorporates a PCIe-PCI bridge and FW controller in one chip. Performance wise that's not a drawback, but some mainboards/BIOS might be picky about the combination. It's one more bridge that can cause issues, but usually does not.

https://www.amazon.com/Syba-SY-PEX30016 … ref=sr_1_1

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51LN5VDAJPL._SL1000_.jpg

Startech sells a variation of the same design using some bigger capacitors. Unfortunately they also seem to sell the alternative LSI based card mentioned below on Amazon, using the same product name but at a lower price. They also mix images of both card variants under the same name in their own web-shop.

https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters … ~PEX1394B3

https://sgcdn.startech.com/005329/media/products/gallery_large/PEX1394B3.main.jpg

2. Alternatively you can get one of the LSI/Agere/Lucent 643E boards. Lindy sells one using a good revision 8 chip that in my short tests works the very same as the aforementioned TI XIO2213B variant. The main advantage is that the 643E is a true PCIe controller with no bridge chip in-between. The board is much simpler, too, which can be a good thing.

I got mine from Lindy, which was considerably cheaper here in Germany. Their web-site shows a red PCB, but I got a (likely more current) green one. It's the very same design as the old (?) Startech and I expect various clones to exist under different names.

https://sgcdn.startech.com/005329/media/products/gallery_large/PEX1394B3LP.main.jpg

7 (edited by SonicExplorer 2017-07-27 01:34:58)

Thanks Guys for the input so far.

Am I correct to assume I only need a FW400 (400 mb/s) card to run the FF400 since it can't do 800 anyway? Vaguely recall that being the case....?   

Also, can I ignore the power connector I see on some of the PCIe FireWire boards?

Thanks again guys, this techno stuff is difficult for me to remember. After enough research I usually get it ironed around in my head but after many years gone by I simply forget the details, and those details are what can bite you, especially when configuring a new system.

Sonic

8 (edited by vinark 2017-07-27 06:57:51)

Ok, a Asus P5Q (or P5Q pro or deluxe or E) are really all you need and the last and best in the core2duo range. With any quad core2duo (Q9550 is the best and cheap, but q8*** toQ9*** will do great). You will have IDE, sata (6 to 8 ports) 2 or 3 PCI and 2 or 3 PCIe. The onboard firewire works with the devices I have.
I have 3 of those machines (and 2 backup motherboards) all with q9550's. I have run XP 32 on it but now run win7 64 and 8gb but XP works great.

Vincent, Amsterdam

9 (edited by Timur Born 2017-07-27 08:30:46)

There are no drawbacks from using a Firewire 800 card for a FF400 and the chipsets are usually more current. Personally I prefer the current revision LSI/Agere ones. Often the specific implementation of the PCIe card and mainboard + BIOS can make more of a difference than the Firewire chipset itself.

The power connectors are used for bus-power, so if you use a power-supply on the Fireface you can ignore them.

I tested these cards using Windows 10 (Creators), so your millage may vary with different Windows versions. But I also had no issues with the combination of LSI/Agere on Windows 7 and 8.

Timur Born wrote:

There are no drawbacks of using a Firewire 800 card for a FF400 and the chipsets are usually more current. Personally I prefer the current revision LSI/Agere ones. Often the specific implementation of the PCIe card and mainboard + BIOS can make more of a difference than the Firewire chipset itself.

The power connectors are used for bus-power, so if you use a power-supply on the Fireface you can ignore them.

I tested these cards using Windows 10 (Creators), so your millage may vary with different Windows versions. But I also had no issues with the combination of LSI/Agere on Windows 7 and 8.

One thing I didn't understand, these from you preferred LSI/agre cards, can you pls clarify.
Do they use a TI chip or do they have a FW chipset of their own ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

11 (edited by Timur Born 2017-07-27 08:30:20)

It's not a LSI/Agere card, but a LSI/Agere Firewire chipset, the LSI 643E (Revision 8). This is a true PCIe Firewire chipset, with no PCI bridge involved. Startech and Lindy both sell the same card design under their own brand name and others exists out there, too. It's made in Taiwan.

It's the same chip that is used by Apple in their old Macbook and now their Thunderbolt-Firewire adapter. Revision 6 caused issues and needed a workaround (Lindy repeater cable) to work, but since revision 7 they work out of the box with the Firefaces.

The various clones of the Syba TI based card are sold under different brand names, too. I bought an "IOCREST" one. These are made in China. Then there is the Startech variant (and others), which use the same PCB design, but slightly different components (bigger capacitors on the Startech on that picture).

Those images used in web-shops are generally deceiving, because they usually don't represent the current revision of the cards. Early Syba based images look little inviting, with some of the capacitors being crooked and some white stuff on some of them. My current revision looks straight and clean.

Don't forget these things are made somewhat cheap and their end-price tells you nothing, as the very same cards are sold from 40 to over 100 EUR. The latter is true for both the TI and LSI based cards (Lindy LSI cost me 46 EUR in Germany, but is $74 in the US).

Thanks Timur ! Very well summary.

13 (edited by SonicExplorer 2017-07-27 18:21:15)

vinark wrote:

Ok, a Asus P5Q (or P5Q pro or deluxe or E) are really all you need and the last and best in the core2duo range. With any quad core2duo (Q9550 is the best and cheap, but q8*** toQ9*** will do great). You will have IDE, sata (6 to 8 ports) 2 or 3 PCI and 2 or 3 PCIe. The onboard firewire works with the devices I have.
I have 3 of those machines (and 2 backup motherboards) all with q9550's. I have run XP 32 on it but now run win7 64 and 8gb but XP works great.

Are you saying the onboard FireWire will work reliably with no negative drawbacks as compared to a separate card?  I can't recall back so far but years ago when I bought my current PCI card it was considered taboo to use onboard FireWire.  Not sure if that was due to higher probability of glitches or extra taxing of the CPU or something else.....

Also, I'm still struggling to decide between Core 2 and i3 motherboard.  If there's any general major advantage for DAW purposes between them please let me know.  All this plays into the FireWire card situation since there may exist a PCI slot, or only PCIe slots, depending on the MB choice.  And now onboard FireWire is apparently a 3rd scenario.   <facepalm> 

Sonic

Well the core2 on p45 chipset is rock solid and was the best chipset of that time. There are no negatives to using the onboard firewire here, but you can use your current PCI card too. Core2 has no turbo no virtual cores and no worries ;-). And easy to overclock if needed but coming from a P4 it is more then 4 times the cpu power with a quad core.

Vincent, Amsterdam

15 (edited by SonicExplorer 2017-07-28 04:49:10)

Ok, sounds good, that's more than enough CPU, even a Core 2 Duo sounds like I'd get 50% - 100% CPU improvement.  It's the real-time mixing (rendering) that is currently causing me some grief with the P4, just not quite enough.  A Quad seems likely overkill.

Apparently there are a number of flavors of P5Q board.  I found some specs that indicate the on-board FireWire controller is of type "Agere® L-FW3227 controller."  Which I'm guessing is not a TI chipset.

*Update: I have found a litany of threads indicating a problematic history with Agere chipset and the RME FF line.  Rather than sift through hours of very old threads, does anybody happen to recall if this was eventually fixed by Agere and/or RME in their drivers or something?  Or should I just avoid the P5Q motherboard FireWire chip altogether?  Would be really nice to be able to use the on-board support, anything that makes configuring a new DAW system easier is welcome.

Thanks,

Sonic

Raed post 11 again.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

17 (edited by vinark 2017-07-28 06:28:19)

The good boards are the P5Q, P5Q deluxe, P5Q-E, P5Q3 and P5Q pro. Mine has an LSI chip (if I am not mistaken), but in one machine I needed extra firewire (2 audio devices with a lot of bandwidth) and the extra FW card is as easy as popping it in. No extra configuring needed.

And AFAIK the problem agere chips where in macs.

And really get a quad if you go this route. Overall the system flies on a quad compared to a duo.

Vincent, Amsterdam

18 (edited by SonicExplorer 2017-07-29 04:30:29)

Guys, thanks, I obviously missed that comment in post 11.  Now that I know what specific P5Q boards to consider I will look into them further, already found a guy just miles from my house who builds XP systems and has various P5Q boards on hand.  If there is anything else I should know please enlighten me.  Right now I'm thinking P5Q flavor board, Core 2 (Duo or Quad), 4GB RAM and on-board FireWire, using XP Home OS.

Sonic

Hello, I'm using an UFX through Firewire with a Startech PCI1394MP card which runs a Texas Instruments - TSB12LV26 Chip. I get IRQ related windows 10 crashes (blue screens) which point to Fireface64.sys. Do you think I should change my PCI Firewire interface as I read here some FW chips generate interrupt errors?

Regards,

SK

Trying USB would be the 1st thing I would do.

I  was already using USB before Firewire, but I tried to switch to FW because I had to buy a FW card for other reasons and was not satisfied with USB: I run at 48 samples on my i4790K with ASUS Z97AR motherboard and I believe I get crackles easier on USB than FW, just my umpression when the DAW is not so busy.. but also I get occasional USB interface temporary disconnections on USB, which push me to do an ASIO reconnect in the DAW or an app restart, I also bought a Lindy cable (I use a 3 mt cable) for that reason, which goes much better but still get rare interface reconnections

This one worked for me with Win7
https://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/exs … 75938.html

Where besides eBay do you guys suggest I try looking for old motherboards?

SonicExplorer wrote:

Where do you live? Here computer techforums with a for sale section or local internet market places are a good bet (Netherlands )

Vincent, Amsterdam

vinark wrote:
SonicExplorer wrote:

Where do you live? Here computer techforums with a for sale section or local internet market places are a good bet (Netherlands )

Southeast US.

26 (edited by SonicExplorer 2017-08-01 09:26:30)

vinark wrote:
SonicExplorer wrote:

I found a system with a P5QC.  Think that will work?  Glancing at photos and specs it seems like a cross between a P5Q and Pro, except it can take either DD2 or DD3 memory....

Video situation now has me stumped, just realized there is no more AGP slots on these P5Q flavor boards.  Does there no longer exist a basic VGA card that doesn't have fans or massive heat sinks on them !?!?    I don't want/need the noise or heat just for a DAW.  <facepalm>

I hate technology.  LoL

motherboard is fine. get an amd radeon hd3450 or 5450

Vincent, Amsterdam

28 (edited by SonicExplorer 2017-08-02 00:13:27)

vinark wrote:

motherboard is fine. get an amd radeon hd3450 or 5450

FYI, the current video card in the system is an Nvidia Quadro FX 580 512MB.  Stil, that's a 40W card,  sheez!

In my experience DAW software works just fine on AGP cards as low as 32MB, so what the heck is with all this PCIe video power & RAM, etc??  Even on the "low end" cards.  Why all the heavy artillery and mass power consumption? <confused>

Maybe I'm better dropping back to something in the AGP or on-board realm, something after a P4 CPU but before all this technical lunacy got out of hand.   Not sure what that would be however.....  ??

29 (edited by vinark 2017-08-02 08:27:57)

In my humble experience the step from PIV to core2 was very worthwhile, I was on XP with PIV before that. But I always used the most low powered video cards from AMD. Second hand such a card will be between 10 and 20$ and I have 100% positive experience with them. This FX580 is a pretty heavy pro graphics card (think CAD, mid level) so does use some power yes and is unneeded for your purpose. Just replace it with a HD3450 or 5450.
And remember a PIV and old AGP cards use a lot more power!

And the FX580 will clock down and use virtually no power under your use, so you might just try it before ditching it...

Vincent, Amsterdam

vinark wrote:

In my humble experience the step from PIV to core2 was very worthwhile, I was on XP with PIV before that. But I always used the most low powered video cards from AMD. Second hand such a card will be between 10 and 20$ and I have 100% positive experience with them. This FX580 is a pretty heavy pro graphics card (think CAD, mid level) so does use some power yes and is unneeded for your purpose. Just replace it with a HD3450 or 5450.
And remember a PIV and old AGP cards use a lot more power!

And the FX580 will clock down and use virtually no power under your use, so you might just try it before ditching it...

Yeah, I wondered about that...whether the card would clock down and go into a low power mode.  I just don't know enough about how to even measure that sort of thing, this is all starting to go over my head. 

Not to jump round too much, but one thing I did notice in the P5Q manual was it warned about using 4 RAM sticks (full bay). Said doing so may require additional cooling.  That has me a bit concerned so I may pull 2 sticks and just go with 2GB.  That should be plenty for what I need anyway.

This whole escapade is going to be an adventure I'm not looking forward to.....  lol

I get that, I stopped at my p5q quad core win7 64 and would not like to go i7 and win 10 etc for the same reasons.
And the thing about ram cooling is insane. I run 4x2gb on all machines without issues. Just touch a ram module after an hour of power on to check.
Don't worry to much (you do), this is a tried and tested system!

Vincent, Amsterdam

32 (edited by SonicExplorer 2017-08-03 07:44:40)

Thanks Vinark.

Do you recall if the P5Q onboard Firewire port is operational for use with the RME gear as part of the default PQ5 chipset drivers and/or XP OS drivers, or rather does it require a specific driver from Agere/LSI be installed?

Sonic

Here the included windows driver did work. On win 7 I had to change to the legacy windows driver, but that is the default on XP.

Vincent, Amsterdam

34 (edited by SonicExplorer 2017-08-03 21:39:35)

Vinark, an unexpected opportunity...  Friend of mine just offered to give me his old machine (no drives) and it turns out it has a Gigabyte board that seems very similar to the Asus P5Q Pro - but with a TI Firewire chipset (TSB43AB23).   

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA … -rev-20#ov

Do you think that would work just as well as a P5Q for a DAW with a FF400, or should I stay on the P5Q path ?   

Thanks again,

Sonic

Should be fine for your purpose. What cpu?

Vincent, Amsterdam

I'm told it is a Quad Xeon but until I get the original order spec sheet I won't know what exactly it maps to in the Core 2 Quad Q9xxx series.    Will update once I find out....hopefully by tomorrow....

If it is a quad it is fine anyway! Only difference between P45 and P35 chip sets is that P35 was designed before 45nm cpu's so Q9*** cpu's overclock less good on P35 then P45, but you are not OCing right! I have a P35 system here too, based on P5K asus, it is fine.

Vincent, Amsterdam

38 (edited by SonicExplorer 2017-08-05 09:29:27)

Hi Vinark, am wondering something, have you actually used a FF400 on your P5Q machines, via the on-board FireWire?

Sonic

No o ly other firework audio devices. But as I said it is easy to install your old firework card if it does not work as expected.

Vincent, Amsterdam

40 (edited by SonicExplorer 2017-08-07 08:48:14)

Guys, there's another aspect to this dilemma, thanks for your patience....

I now recall in order to solve a problem years ago, I had to adjust the order of the IRQ's so the TI PCI Firewire card was priority. Worked flawlessly ever since.  Here's the problem though when looking at this new DAW build I'm facing:  Apparently with more modern motherboards you can't control things like IRQ when dealing with onboard graphics or 1394 controllers - or even PCIe graphics cards.  So....would I be correct in thinking that I could end up with problems UNLESS I went with a dedicated PCI graphics card AND a PCI FirewWire card?  So that I can specifically control the IRQ priority?   Or would PCIe graphics card and PCI Firewire by definition separate themselves, so to speak?    And I assume regardless this means I simply cannot use onboard graphics because I would always be at risk for either the onboard Firewire or PCI Firewire card getting de-prioritized, so to speak?

Said another way, between the possible combinations of onboard graphics, onboard Firewire, PCI and PCIe slots, can somebody please try to explain to me what kind of "conflicts" could come into play that I should be aware of when designing a FF400 DAW?

Sonic

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25778

Might help.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

42 (edited by SonicExplorer 2017-08-07 10:19:20)

Yikes, the theory I can understand but when I dig into sub-links mentioned there are dozen+ pages of techno babble that is way beyond what any reasonably intelligent human should have to begin to understand.  Eeeesh.

Seems to me the answer is to avoid on board video and firewire, and instead disable them.  Then get a PCI video and firewire card and set those interrupts in the BIOS as separate and with the Firewire card lowest for first priority.   I would like to be able to use a PCIe video card but at the moment cannot see how to set IRQ for that, and am beginning to glean that maybe there are no such concepts between PCIe and PCI WRT IRQ, although IIRC there was such ability with AGP.   (Holy acronyms, Batman)

This is insanity....

SonicExplorer wrote:

Yikes, the theory I can understand but when I dig into sub-links mentioned there are dozen+ pages of techno babble that is way beyond what any reasonably intelligent human should have to begin to understand.  Eeeesh.

This is why experts exist and earn money selling dedicated Audio computers.

Noteworthy: The LSI based Lindy card keeps disappearing after shutdown (soft-off) when used in a chipset based PCIe slot of my Ryzen system. It does not happen in a CPU connected PCIe slot and likely is a fault of the BIOS. Still something good to know about compared to the TI based card, the latter of which uses an internal PCI bridge that may help in this particular case.

45 (edited by SonicExplorer 2017-08-28 23:48:40)

Guys, I may have backed myself into a corner.  I got my hands on a few kit machines and was just about done configuring them, getting ready to put in a PCI firewire card when I suddenly realized Windows had stacked a pack of devices on the same IRQ.  So I went into the BIOS only to realize there is NO SETTINGS to adjust the IRQ's.  URGH!!!!   So.....what now?  I don't have the PCI firewire card yet (in transit) but I can already see it appears Windows has the PCI slots assigned to the same overburdened IRQ as the video, audio, usb and other things.  Not good I suspect.

Would getting a PCIe firewire card alleviate all this by keeping off the PCI bus?   Or should I ditch these machines and start over?

I really hate computers.....

No you should try how it works first. Irq sharing is not a problem on xp per se!  It was on 98.

Vincent, Amsterdam

47 (edited by SonicExplorer 2017-08-30 06:50:56)

I went ahead and also ordered a Syba SY-PEX30016 PCIe card like the one pictured near the top of this thread.   That way being PCIe it should have it's own lane/pathway (theoretically).  I hope the card isn't too modern to work in older PC's (circa 2010)

And most of all I hope the card is safe - because it's cousin (the PEX30009) has many reports on Amazon of burning up and taking the sound card with it.  Yikes.

I plan on NOT using the molex power connector on the card since the FF400 has it's own external power supply, but if there is any risk in this planned approach please let me know.

Sonic

Argh!!!  I got the PCIe FIrewire card and Windows is STILL assigning the SAME IRQ to it !!!   

Everything is jammed on IRQ16, even though there are open IRQ's to be used.   FF400, onboard audio, PCI busses, USB busses, onboard Video.... it's all jammed on IRQ16.    THIS CANNOT POSSIBLY BE SAFE is what I'm thinking.   The one thing I did notice however is that all these other entities are on "PCI Bus 0" whereas the PCIe Firewire card is listed as being on "Bus 2".   So that's probably a good sign.  But still, having assigned the same IRQ....WHY!?

Does anybody have any ideas about how to force WIndows to use one of the open IRQ's, or to set it manually??

This is the LAST issue remaining, I would hate for it to cause me to scrap this whole effort and move to another motherboard where I can control the IRQ settings.  I just never anticipated Windows would be so brain-dead.

Sonic

49 (edited by SonicExplorer 2017-09-04 16:48:34)

Hi Vinark,

Can you please do me a big favor and check your P5Q system to see what the onboard Firewire IRQ situation is in Device Manager?  Go to "View \ Devices By Type" and then click on Interrupt Request.  I need to know what the Firewire IRQ is and what others devices, if any, are sharing that same IRQ.   I can then reference that information against the P5Q user manual and figure out if the board will be a likely solution for me or not.

Many thanks,

Sonic

SonicExplorer wrote:

Hi Vinark,

Can you please do me a big favor and check your P5Q system to see what the onboard Firewire IRQ situation is in Device Manager?  Go to "View \ Devices By Type" and then click on Interrupt Request.  I need to know what the Firewire IRQ is and what others devices, if any, are sharing that same IRQ.   I can then reference that information against the P5Q user manual and figure out if the board will be a likely solution for me or not.

Many thanks,

Sonic

I will but I am in Greece now on vacation....so will be about 10 days.

Vincent, Amsterdam