Topic: Problems with UC and USB-C Hub / MacBook Pro 2016

Hi,

When I connect my Fireface UC via the USB-C hub, I get strange drop-outs. When I connect it directly to my Macbbook Pro, everything is fine. Using Logic X latest version, as well as driver & firmware latest version.

Here is a sample of the drop-out: http://www47.zippyshare.com/v/0RRn83Ei/file.html

Re: Problems with UC and USB-C Hub / MacBook Pro 2016

Its normal to better connect a recording device directly to an USB port with an USB controller (not hub) behind.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Well, that's a statement, but not a solution.
No problems in the studio with iMac, but on the road with Macbook Pro 2016 without Touchbar (only 2 USB-C ports), iLok, Fireface UC, UAD Satellite plus charging --> doesn't help to "better" connect it directly, it HAS to work behind a hub.

ramses wrote:

Its normal to better connect a recording device directly to an USB port with an USB controller (not hub) behind.

4 (edited by ramses 2017-08-01 14:13:33)

> it HAS to work behind a hub

I tried to connect my UFX+ behind an USB3 Hub which is connected behind a 4x USB3 controller with FL1100 chip. It works. So one can not say generally smth like this wouldnt work.

Ok then you need to find out what triggers the issue.

1. test whether the UC alone has a chance to work behind the HUB, from that I read this you didnt test
but this should be the 1st test IMHO to find out, whether there is any potential chance, whether
the UC can operate behind the HUB.

When this works then you need to find out, which other device or combination of devices might cause issues.
Simply connect the 2nd, 3rd and 4th device ALONE together with the UC (so that only 2 ports of the HUB are in use)
to see, whether each of those are capable to work together with the UC behind the HUB.
In a good case of look you can quickly find out which device might cause issues.

If this doesnt trigger the issue you need to find out, what combination of devices cause the issue.
Maybe you can replace this device with another one which has another driver and by this behaves differently on the bus so that at the end everything has a chance to work.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Alright then, will check step by step. Today my TB3 Dock arrived, so this should free up one TB3 port on the Macbook Pro to connect the UC directly.

Update: UC works fine behind a Thunderbolt 3 Dock. Won't look back to USB-C hub.

Good that you find a good working solution.
Could you kindly post a link which Thunderbolt 3 Dock you are using, shall there be different available.
Could be interesting also for other mac pro users, thanks.

Shure, I'm using the Caldigit TS3.