Topic: ADI-8 DS no input

So I have this unit, and all of a sudden, I'm not getting any signal going into the AD section of this component. From what I can see in this forum, and the couple of other posts across the internet, it may be the PSU. I've got lights on on the Output section, and the middle section. Just not seeing any action happening on the input. My Digi002, which has worked fine with this RME unit for years, will not accept me switching the clock to optical/ ADAT.

Do I need to spend the $110  to get the PSU? Will that fix this? Or am i junking this?

Thanks.

Re: ADI-8 DS no input

Do I need to spend the $110  to get the PSU? Will that fix this?

You can only try it to find out, or send the unit to a service center for a check up.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

OK Jeff, in your opinion, with your experience with the unit, have you heard of this happening before? Where it's lights out on one side of the unit? And if yes, have you had success in replacing the PCU?

4 (edited by vinark 2017-08-23 13:05:55)

It should be easy to measure the PSU! And see maybe if there is a loose connection too. I replaced my PSU in ADI8 AE (same hardware as DS except input converters are cheaper), but I had different symptoms, it did not work at all. Are you 100% sure it is not a wrong setting on the device? That seems more logical, at least to me.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

5 (edited by chadastocker 2017-08-23 21:24:57)

I'm not 100%.

I have a small console that I use as preamps, I take a TRS cable out of the Direct Out of each channel (8), and send them to TRS cables going into the INPUT (analog) section of the RME.

I have the OUTPUTs from the RME going into the LINE INs on the same console for outboard mixing options.

I don't know if I knocked into a button accidentally? Switched a setting?

I tried putting a synth into the input, just to see if it would should up on the LED meter. It did not. I turned the volume all the way up.

Any advice on what setting that set up needs to be?

What were your symptoms?

How do I go about measuring the PSU?  I do have a multimeter, but a little confused how it works.

Good example why we would never gave such an advice as vinark did. Having a multimeter but no clue how to use it. Opening the unit while under live voltage and getting electric shock - dead.

This is serious stuff one should not mess around with unless being a trained technician!

The DS has a button called Copy Mode. If that one is not active there is no way the input level meters will not work unless there is a power supply problem.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you MC. The Copy Mode button was the culprit. Now the input level and the AD lights are showing up.

Great.
Sorry about the multimeter advice. I will be much more careful in the future MC!

Vincent, Amsterdam

i appreciate all the advice. Thanks everyone for taking the time to think about my problem, and weigh in.

vinark, your long time, helpful and valuable support for RME and this forum is well known and much appreciated (hundreds of users should have kissed your feet already - did they? wink

Don't take my post as personal critisizm!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

vinark, your long time, helpful and valuable support for RME and this forum is well known and much appreciated (hundreds of users should have kissed your feet already - did they? wink

Don't take my post as personal critisizm!

WOW, thanks MC smile . And no I didn't take it personal at all.

Vincent, Amsterdam