Topic: HDSP 9632 - Z270 mobo & AES splitting questions.

Hi.

As per the title I have a couple of questions about my 9632 that has served me fantastically over the years. Hopefully someone  can help!

1. I'm about to retire my aging Q9450 system and finally upgrade to an i5 or i7 system. I want to continue using the 9632 and have found 2 Z270 motherboards that come with PCI slots. ASUS Prime Z270-K (2 slots) and an MSI Z270 PC Mate (1 slot).

Am I safe to assume the 9632 will work fine on these boards? I have read other forums suggesting the use of a PCI to PCIE adapter card but that gives mounting issues, if I go for a mobo with no PCI slots, so I'd rather go standard PCI if possible.

2. I have a pair of Genelec 8250's. Currently being fed balanced analog from the 9632. If I buy a BO968 breakout cable I believe I could then go AES digital into the Genelecs, but I would need to split the AES output from the 9632 into 2 cables for Left and Right. Is this possible? I can't seem to find any definitive information on whether splitting the cable would work. Would going digital into the Genelecs improve sound quality in any way to make this worthwhile doing?

Appreciate any help offered, thanks!

Re: HDSP 9632 - Z270 mobo & AES splitting questions.

Further research and I've answered  question 2, I'll leave the original post as is in case it's of any use to someone.

2. No need for a split AES cable to the Genelecs. Just an AES cable to monitor 1 and then there's an AES thru port to connect to the 2nd monitor. Set the dip switches on each speaker to correctly identify as Left and Right and job done.

Any opinions on question 1 would be appreciated.

Cheers.

The 9632 does not have many channels and is therefore not very demanding on the PCI bus. It should work. But no one can guarantee that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

FWIW, I have the Asus Z170-A in my pc, works a treat with the HDSP 9632 and one of the extra 4 out cards.

/Magnus

Thanks Magnus. I went ahead and bought an ASUS Prime Z270-K, will be building the new rig next week. Will post back if it works.

guybuss wrote:

Thanks Magnus. I went ahead and bought an ASUS Prime Z270-K, will be building the new rig next week. Will post back if it works.

Exciting. I wish you good luck and look forward to you posting back with the results.

All the best,

Magnus

Further to this. I've now built the new rig on the Z270. 9632 working an absolute treat in Cubase 9. 

Only issue now is that my monitors make a pretty bad pop when I shutdown (windows 10). I'm controlling them with the ARC USB, even with the volume all the way down on both sets (1 pair connected via AES, other pair analog). There's a pop when I boot up too, but not as bad. This did not happen on the old machine in Windows 7.

Many avenues to pursue on this problem!

I have the ASUS z-270 TUF and went for it primarily for the m.2 slots for NVMe hard drives.  Funny but my monitors pop on power off as well.  I'm thinking capacitor discharge but not sure.  It is significant enough that I am glad my room is in the basement so at night, no one upstairs is disturbed if I'm down there in the wee hours of the morning

Babyface Pro, UFX+ via Thunderbolt, Win 10, Cubase 9.5 Pro, Asus Z270 i7700k Guitarist-1961