1 (edited by ARNK 2017-09-11 06:00:22)

Topic: Your "Main Out" Fader in TotalMix - Relationship w/ DAW Mixer Question

To keep things simple for now, I have just one or two questions regarding your Main Out Level setting in TotalMix.

1. Generally, is your fader set at unity? Does it matter?

As a novice to audio engineering, I've always been advised to set the Main Out (Stereo Out) in my DAW (Cubase) to 0 - and keep it there. Does it matter?

2. What is the relationship (and implications) of setting the main outs at unity?

What prompted this inquiry was trying to get the volume or levels of both hardware & software instruments to be just right, not too loud and not too soft. I was constantly dialing down the volume knob on the RME FireFace UFX and of course this affects the Main Out fader position, but that had me confused with the DAW fader setting, as again I was taught to leave it at unity....

Hope that makes sense, I'll save any follow up questions for later.

Kind regards

Re: Your "Main Out" Fader in TotalMix - Relationship w/ DAW Mixer Question

You dont tell about what OS you use.

This article from me gives you an overview about TotalMix FX and how it interacts with Sound System (you find there a diagram), then you should be able to answer this on your own after some time of target practice.

http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … rnal-equi/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13