1 (edited by pv 2017-09-13 15:58:42)

Topic: ARC USB PROblem

I wanted to buy the old RME Advanced Remote Controller that are connected directly to my UCX, because I suspected lots of problem with a remote via USB, but unfortunately the old one is discontinued so I had to buy the new ARC USB.
And today when I got my ARC USB delivered my my suspicions were realized at once.

Sometimes when I start my PC I get this messages:
http://forumbilder.se/G9INK/rme-arc-usb.png

And sometimes I dont get that message.

And sometimes the controller dont control anything in TotalMix until I take out and put in the USB cable in ARC USB again.

Is there a solution so that TotalMix opens up as before, without this mismatch message, and that the Remote controls what it is suppose to control without having to reattach the USB cable?

Otherwise I have to send it back to the dealer.

2 (edited by ramses 2017-09-13 16:29:05)

Re: ARC USB PROblem

This has nothing to do with ARC USB.

You do not need to send anything back to your dealer.

During startup its simply being checked whether there is a differnce between settings
- stored in the recording device
- stored in the active TM FX snapshot on your PC

You can configure in the TM FX Preferences (F2)
(x) always init DSP devices with TotalMix FX settings

Then the TM FX settings stored on your PC will configure the device properly
on each startup with defined standard routing/settings as you prefer.
Maybe also with a lower output volume for phones/monitors as well for safety reasons.

Then the window will not appear anymore, as then TM FX configures the device properly
on each startup.

This standard settings you can also store into the standalone profile if your device has one.

This is also described / suggested in my TM FX primer in this blog article:
http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … rnal-equi/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you for your quick answer.
Yes, activate "always init DSP devices with TotalMix FX settings" helped with the mismatch problem.
But strange though that before I connected ARC USB, I also changed things in TotalMix and when I restarted the PC I never got any mismatch issues with the hardware.

But still it is that other problem about ARC USB dont control TotalMix when restarting the PC.
I dont want to take out and put in the USB cable every time I start the computer of course.

The three yellow lamps on ARC USB are lighted, but no control until I remove the USB cable and put it in again.

I have tried with different USB cables and in different USB sockets on my PC but nothing have helped so far.

For example, I have a Korg Padkontrol that also take its power from USB, and it starts and works every time I restart the PC.

I hope there is a solution for this to.

We just had a similar topic. The MIDI port used might be occupied. Read posts 6 and 7.

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25983

The mismatch message can be supressed as you did, but it must be said that something is not correct on your system, otherwise it would not come up at all. You either use the UCX stand-alone between boots and volume or so, or TM FX fails in writing the current state (the last state before power down) into its configuration file.

Did you install the latest driver, maybe changed from TM to TM FX when you got the ARC USB?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by pv 2017-09-14 15:07:40)

Is it really an MIDI issue in my case?
The ARC works perfect as long as I disconnect the USB cable and connect it again every time I have started up my PC.
But of course I dont want to do that everytime.

About the mismatch message, I have used the UCX for over a year now and it has never ben any problem with mismatch, until I connected the ARC USB, and I didnt change anything before that.
Never used it as standalone.

Now I have tried a lot of things, for example reinstalled RME drivers, but the problem is still the same unfortanelly.

I wish RME had continued to sell the old blue Remote that plugs direct in the UCX, then I could have making music instead of this several hours tiring work with computer, drivers, forum and stuff. sad

It seems like I got it to work now. I activated "Enable Midi control" in Options. I think that is what helped.

7 (edited by ramses 2017-09-14 18:00:33)

Strange, AFAIK "enable midi control" in TM FX is only for using a remote controller which is compatible to "mackie control protocol", but its not required for ARC USB.

Chapter 6 of the handbook: "The ARC USB is a USB 1.1 MIDI remote control. Thanks to operating as UAC 1 class device it is natively compatible to Windows and Mac OS X. As soon as it is present in the operating sys-tem TotaIMix FX will detect it and communicate with it, without disturbing other remote controls. Therefore it is also not necessary to switch the ARC USB on or off within TotalMix FX. It will just work."

I think with "other remote controls" the handbook refers to other mackie compatible remote controls which are connected via MIDI not via USB like the ARC USB.

And you are sure that it doesnt work anymore when you disable this and perform no other change.
Only RME can know whether "side effects" are possible.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Yes ramses, I also think it was strange, but I tried it and it worked, and if I deactivate "Enable MIDI control" then it dont work.

So now Im rather happy, but still is the problem that ARC USB dont power off when I shut down the computer. The three yellow lamps still glowing after computer and UCX are shut off.

I looked in the Device Manager and there are two ARC: RME ARC [0] and RME ARC [1]
Is that correct?

No, there should be only one and that might be a reason for your problems.

Power off of USB can be configured in the computer's BIOS, this is not an issue of the ARC USB.

Maybe there is some USB legacy support in your BIOS going wrong that clashes with the USB detection in Windows thus showing two devices?

Otherwise just delete both ARC in device manager and restart the computer then connect the ARC USB again. Maybe something went wrong the first time you connected it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I dont remember the English word for the different parts in the Device Manager, so I add a picture here, but there is only one ARC in "Sound, game..." part, and two ARC under "Softwareunits?" part.
Maybe that is correct?

http://forumbilder.se/G9ITR/rme-device.jpg

Yes, that is correct.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I found a solution to turn of the power to ARC USB when the computer is shut down.
In BIOS there is a function called Sleep S4, at least in ASUS Bios, witch makes all the USB and PS/2 ports shut down complete.
The only drawback with activate this, is that you cant wake up the computer from the keyboard or mouse when it is in sleep mode. Only with the on/off switch.
But I never use sleep mode so its not a problem for me.

Strange though that some products connected to USB can manage to turn them self of when the computer is shut down and some cant?