Topic: 32-bit Record

I see some talk of RME AES HDSPe card with Total mix and 32-bit audio.

I know that most converters are 24-bit but I have a Crane Song Avocet IIA that has a 32-bit D/A chip. Will I have and hear some benefit here or will it be reduced to 24-bit at some point in the AES chain?

Also, the new Crane Song HEDD Quantum A/D and D/A unit will use similar 32-bit technology. Will it be possible to record 32-bit audio and have some benefits there or will something in the AES chain limit it to 24-bit effective bit-depth?

The DAWs I use are WaveLab and REAPER if that helps anything.

Re: 32-bit Record

The benefits of 32 bit audio are largely confined to when you are applying "processing" to the file, such as when you edit, compress, equalize, and mix audio files already recorded.

When you consider the infinitesimally small gradations of amplitude provided by the resolution of 32 bits (floating or fixed point), you can see that it would be extremely difficult to build analog circuitry that could accurately portray this, as this amount of resolution will be swamped by the noise of the atoms banging against each other in the copper wire. In most cases, the reconstruction filter of any decently designed D to A converter will smooth out the "in-betweens" that occur between successive samples in the stream. I would seriously doubt whether you could hear any difference between the same material as 24 bit playback, and some (currently unavailable) 32 bit converter, even if you were to listen in an extremely well insulated environment, deep underground, well shielded from all but cosmic rays, over some yet to be invented ultra-linear playback transducer, through the ears of a newborn baby.

Yes, 32 is a bigger number than 24, but don't be impressed by bigger numbers - circuit design of both digital and analog signal chain electronics, along with the quality of the playback amplifier and speakers will affect your listening experience to a far greater degree.

Frank Lockwood
https://LockwoodARS.com
Fireface 800, Firmware 2.77
Drivers: Win10, 3.125; Mac, 3.36

3 (edited by Jperkins 2017-09-28 15:49:10)

Re: 32-bit Record

fl wrote:

The benefits of 32 bit audio are largely confined to when you are applying "processing" to the file, such as when you edit, compress, equalize, and mix audio files already recorded.

When you consider the infinitesimally small gradations of amplitude provided by the resolution of 32 bits (floating or fixed point), you can see that it would be extremely difficult to build analog circuitry that could accurately portray this, as this amount of resolution will be swamped by the noise of the atoms banging against each other in the copper wire. In most cases, the reconstruction filter of any decently designed D to A converter will smooth out the "in-betweens" that occur between successive samples in the stream. I would seriously doubt whether you could hear any difference between the same material as 24 bit playback, and some (currently unavailable) 32 bit converter, even if you were to listen in an extremely well insulated environment, deep underground, well shielded from all but cosmic rays, over some yet to be invented ultra-linear playback transducer, through the ears of a newborn baby.

Yes, 32 is a bigger number than 24, but don't be impressed by bigger numbers - circuit design of both digital and analog signal chain electronics, along with the quality of the playback amplifier and speakers will affect your listening experience to a far greater degree.

Thanks for the info. I'm aware of the nuances of 32-bit audio vs. 24-bit, I was mostly wondering if it's possible or intended to be possible with the RME HDSPe AES card and a 32-bit A/D converter. I guess I can test for myself when the new HEDD Quantum arrives.

I am a believer that even if you can't hear something, in a mastering context it can have some positive or negative influence further down the processing/distribution chain and therefore if a converter can capture audio digital in 32-bit resolution, and transmit it to the recording software, I would probably consider doing it, or at least testing it out.