1 (edited by AudioFreq 2017-10-08 19:44:02)

Topic: Connecting Unbalanced Line to Balanced Input: UFX Plus

Hello my friends:
I cannot seem to find this info.

Can I connect Unbalanced cable (TS) to one of the Balanced (TRS) Input on the Back of the UFX Plus?

Thank you!

Re: Connecting Unbalanced Line to Balanced Input: UFX Plus

See handbook 19.1

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by AudioFreq 2017-10-08 21:09:23)

ramses wrote:

See handbook 19.1

Thanks as always:

But I have to say, there is no where on 19.1 where it states:

Balanced Inputs at back of unit can also accept Unbalanced Connection.

Unless I am losing my eye sight, these kinds of things should be very straight forward. Maybe even written next to the connectors themselves to avoid confusion and ambiguity.

Simple things like this should not require manuals, don't you want to focus on making music?

Thanks again as always for your tremendous help.

And it is simple .. you can use it for both wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

AudioFreq wrote:

Unless I am losing my eye sight, these kinds of things should be very straight forward. Maybe even written next to the connectors themselves to avoid confusion and ambiguity.

Simple things like this should not require manuals, don't you want to focus on making music?

I only know one example of fairly recent pro gear that doesn't have servo-balanced I/O. It's stated in bold, in a very bold framework in the manual how to handle these cases.

And it 's in small print on the back of the unit.

Nobody reads it. In fact, a lot of people complain about noise in this unit, on the net. There's no noise, unless you leave pin 3 floating.

In 99% of the cases, you can assume that a balanced line input will also handle unbalanced.

So it's rather a case of "don't worry, be happy". big_smile

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

AudioFreq wrote:

It says: The electronic input stage is built in a servo balanced design which handles unbalanced (mono jacks) and balanced (stereo jacks) correctly. So what else could this mean than exactly what you ask for? Unless you don't know the difference between a mono (TS) and a stereo (TRS) jack...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME