Topic: How should I set up my UFX+ master output for my Equator D5mkII?

Hello everyone!

I'm very much enjoying my UFX+ over my D5s - things are sounding great! However, I have a question regarding how to set up master output.

D5 has a sensitivity knob on the back, with two marked settings for +4dBU (around 33%) and -10dBV (at max). So, naturally, I set it to +4dBU, and I set the master channel in TMFX to +4dBU as well. Things are pretty loud this way, so I keep the master output level at -30 dB so that things aren't too loud (and my wife doesn't kill me smile - I unfortunately don't have a closed-off studio space as of yet, so my work area is in our living room, so I can't get too loud).

My question is - is this ok? Am I losing something with master slider in TMFX set this low? I would have expected using the range above -20 dB more, to get finer granularity of 0.5 dB when adjusting volume via the remote (in the -30 and lower range, it's not as granular, as steps are 1 and 1.5 dB the lower/quieter you go, which I am personally not fond of...).

I also tried setting things to -10dBV to both the speaker and TMFX, and at the same master slider dB value things were actually LOUDER! So I tried to mix&match, setting the speaker to +4dBU and TMFX to -10dBV, and this produced what I wanted - quieter output, so I could increase the master slider to about -20 dB to get a comfortable listening level. I would kinda like to keep it this way - that is, unless this is entirely wrong and is going to screw something up, like headroom?

Please advise. Thanks!

A very happy RME UFX+ & ARC owner smile

Re: How should I set up my UFX+ master output for my Equator D5mkII?

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25399

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by EvilDragon 2017-10-15 01:16:38)

Re: How should I set up my UFX+ master output for my Equator D5mkII?

OK, thank you!

I guess this means I can freely set TMFX to -10dBV while my speaker is at +4dBU, as this gives me quieter output, and I can then use the master volume slider in its higher range, with no negative side-effects? If so, good enough for me. smile But I will also look into those level attenuators, that also seems handy.

A very happy RME UFX+ & ARC owner smile