Topic: software playback volume for main speakers ?

I understand this must be very basic, but I find the whole thing with audio levels from many different instances a bit confusing.

I am using small genelec monitors that have volume controls on them.
I have a fireface ucx with totalmix fx.
I am using ableton live as my daw.

* The master volume in ableton is set to 0db.
* The volume on the genelecs are set very low so that I can use the full spectrum of the main speakers fader in totalmix fx´s control room without blowing up my speakers or ears.
* The main speakers in totalmix fx´s controlroom is set to +4dBu

My questions are:
What should the Hardware settings volume setting be for AS 1/2 (my main speakers) in totalmix fx ?
What should the Software playback volume setting be for AS 1/2 in totalmix fx ?

To get the correct monitoring when working in the daw?

I now have them set to 0db. Is that correct ?

Re: software playback volume for main speakers ?

TM FX works internally accurate enough that you can reduce the volume safely up to a certain point, i.e. -20dB.
Its a good idea to reduce the total vol on your speakers with a little reserve for louder volumes.
See also this thread from MC: https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25399

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you Ramses, but I still dont understand how to set the hardware output and software playback for AS 1/2 when mixing in my daw. Should they be set to 0db ?

In the DAW you set main output to 0dB because IMHO it makes no sense to set another volume there
if you prepare for the final mix or master.

In TotalMix I would let the Software playback at 0dB and adjust the final desiged volume with TM FX.

Or .. if you have it .. with ARC USB.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

usually you should always buy a dedicated (passive, eventually I/O switchable) monitor volume controller, because by lowering output levels in totalmix, you're loosing the detail,
best scheme is to push everything to 0 (daw output, totalmix output, monitors gain) and just use a knob to change volume going into your monitors

HDSPe AIO, ADI-2 DAC, Fireface UFX, Octamic D, Octamic II
Reaper, High Sierra

Matthias, I remember you telling in another thread, that there is no big issue/loss.

Is this HW/ interface or fully TotalMix dependend?

What loss is this ? In terms of Bit resolution?

Is this somewhere documented? Or does smth like a diagram exists that maybe could tell me that ie -10 or -20dB on the master fader is still save ? Or that -30dB would result into a loss of xyz?

It's in the manual of the ADI-2 Pro.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME