Topic: Simple routing out to 8 track

Hi Guys,
Im trying to go 8 channels straight out of Protools, through the Fireface UFX, into an 8 track tape machine I'm experimenting with.
I can't seem to get output channel 1+2 to feed the signal out.
I can go directly out from 3-8 using a simple 1/4 cable and it works fine.
Ive tried Options > Reset Mix > Straight Playback to get 1:1 routing from software out to hardware out, but still no luck.
In Total mix I cant seem to find any 1/2 Hardware outputs to work with. I only have 3/4 5/6 etc.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Re: Simple routing out to 8 track

1/2 is assigned as your Main Out....in the CRM section...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Here a TM FX primer, that I wrote, enjoy
http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … rnal-equi/

Don't miss to watch the RME Tutorial Videos:
http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … al-Videos/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks MC,
When I click the "assign" button right near the main out in the Control room section is shows that my main is routed to 1/2. But the other option are 3/4, 5/6 etc.
What should I click to make make the 1 and 2 signals route out separately (not the stereo mix)?
Thanks again.

Ramses, your links take me to a security step. ?

What do you mean by security step ? I can simply access them.

It can be that this site is protected by cloudflare, which test whether you are a bot or a human,
as this site has been attacked by a DDOS attack ...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Choose any other that you don't need, then 1/2 is back in the normal routing.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by frednugent 2017-11-26 17:20:59)

Hi MC,
Do you mean click the "assign" button near the main out in the Control room section. Choose another option besides 1/2-7/8. Then it should be going 1 and 2 out separately?
I tried that but still get a mix out of both 1 and 2. I have Options > Reset Mix > Straight Playback.

3-8 are fine. They route out separately to my tape machine via 1/4 inch cables, (in protools those outputs are set for 3-8).
but I can't seem to get 1+2 out as single tracks. They come out as a half mix each as if I were listening to the mix on speakers.
Im trying to go directly out of 8 single tracks in Protools>> out of Fireface outputs 1-8>> into 388 1-8 tape machine line inputs.
Im sure this must be a super simple fix but I can't seem to make it work.

Ramses, Thanks for the links. Good stuff! do you by chance know how to get 1+2 to route out not as a mix but only as single tracks to be usable outputs going into a tape machine?

Well yes, it can't be more easy. You either have panorama not set to left/right, or all other software playback channels mixed into 1/2 as well. To set this up correctly you really need to read only the first two pages of TM FX in the manual...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

9 (edited by frednugent 2017-11-27 15:00:05)

Thanks MC. I'll read the manual again and try the panorama.
Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.