Topic: Auto mode question - USB and Optical

Hi,

Have read the manual but have a question about the Auto mode:

Basic Mode is set to Auto, the unit will turn into different operating modes depending on the connected cables:

• AD/DA: Converter Mode, analog in to all digital outs, digital in to all analog outs. This mode becomes active as soon as a digital signal is attached. This signal will also become the sig- nal source. In case more than one digital signal is found the user has to manually select the source to be monitored. The SRC is active as default and assigned to SPDIF. Clock mode is slave to AES in, but will adapt to the detected source (Auto).
• USB: or interface mode, or USB DAC. If USB is detected all inputs are routed to USB, all outputs are fed from USB. USB has priority over the converter mode. In Setup the unit can be configured as 2-channel or 6/8-channel device.

Regarding "connected cables" and "is detected"..... I'd like to have two macs connected to the ADI-2, one by USB and one by Optical. In Auto mode, if both cables remain connected, will it auto-switch depending on whether there is software actually playing on each one, or will the presence of both cables cause the USB to always have priority even if nothing is playing over the USB.

Thanks in advance

Mac Mini > Roon > RME ADI-2 DAC > ATC SCM-11 speakers and C1 subwoofer

Re: Auto mode question - USB and Optical

The latter. The unit can not know if you play something or not. It can only detect if there is an SPDIF signal (computer on) or not (computer off). And as USB has priority the only way to switch to SPDIF is manually - unless the USB computer turns off...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by occamsrazor 2017-12-01 18:58:02)

Looks like a very nice update. As a potential buyer I am always happy to see such improvements being given out.

- Band 1 of the PEQ now has the option to activate a Hi-Cut, which was formerly only available in Band 5 and limited to 200 Hz. Users that use the ADI-2 Pro as crossover filter for a subwoofer can now use Band 1 down to 20 Hz for that.

Could you kindly explain how one might use it as a crossover in this way for a subwoofer? Would I be correct in saying to do this you would need to use one of the rear 1/2 outputs e.g. XLR or TS, and then also the front 3/4 output? So for example you would create a PEQ with high-pass on the output for the mains e.g. rear XLR, and a PEQ with low-pass on the front 3/4 for the subwoofer. Am I understanding correctly? Thanks

Yes, that simple. Both with the same frequency and Q setting, typically 0.7 up to 1.0.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

That's a very attractive feature... What would the max sample rate useable in this scenario be, given DSP processing power? 192khz?

Yes, 192 kHz, as you need 2 x stereo PEQ.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I moved the posts here to free the firmware thread for important feedback.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME