1 (edited by ramses 2017-12-09 23:28:17)

Topic: UFX+, possible to connect 2nd UFX+ via MADI ?

I have two UFX+ connected to my PC via USB3.

The primary UFX+ is clock master and racked for studio and mobile recording purposes, via MADI I have 2 XTCs connected.

The secondary UFX+ is clock slave via ADAT and racked in a guitar rig for different purposes, i.e. Durec recording, building a parallel effect loop for a guitar amp, etc.

I am thinking about whether its possible to remove the ADAT connection between the 2 UFX+ and to use MADI instead.
This would allow i.e. for more distance between these 2 racks than ~15m and I could free one ADAT port for other things.

I would have then an optical ring between: UFX+#1, Octamic XTC, Octamic XTC, UFX+#2
and it would allow for higher distance between the 2 different racks with the 2 different UFX+.

Several questions in that regards:

1. does it make sense ? I used already an UFX as preamp in front of a RayDAT via ADAT in the past and that went very well.
How about this MADI solution to build one ring and connect 2 UFX+ and 2 Octamic XTC ?

2. how is it with clock quality (steadyclock), is the clock via ADAT cable better compared to clock via MADI when 4 devices are in a ring ?

3. how is it with delay compensation between all units ? Between primary UFX+ and the two XTC I activated automatic delay compensation (AUTO-CA). Is this also possible for the secondary UFX+ if I connect it to the MADI ring ?
If I would i.e. record via primary UFX+, the delay compensation would take care that all signals arrive at the same time in the DAW (primary UFX+, 2 XTC) .. how would it be with the secondary UFX+ ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Re: UFX+, possible to connect 2nd UFX+ via MADI ?

The automatic delay compensation compensates not AD/DA but the MADI through delay, which is only around 3 samples. So that shouldn't be a problem. Clock quality doesn't change. Whether this makes sense four you and your setup only you will know...after you tried it wink

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: UFX+, possible to connect 2nd UFX+ via MADI ?

Many thanks Matthias, nice to hear that it should be possible wink
Maybe something over Xmas days.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13