Topic: converting BabyFace Pro spdif to aes?

I just ordered a Babyface Pro in hopes of using it with a pair of genelecs that have an AES/EBU XLR input on them. I ordered the  Hosa ODL312 (Optical S/PDIF (Toslink) to AES/EBU (XLR) Cable) box to convert the SPDIF signal to AES/EBU...will it work? My babyface pro comes in the mail wednesday 12/13/2017  by the way. Thanks in advance.

Re: converting BabyFace Pro spdif to aes?

Random Google search result: http://hosatech.com/product/odl-312/

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3 (edited by rbbrnck 2017-12-13 21:48:15)

Re: converting BabyFace Pro spdif to aes?

I see no reason why it shouldn't, though I never used this specific format converter myself.
I've used Lake People DFC-430 for years, until it went out of production, unfortunately.
Wouldn't be surprised to find out the chip's very similar, if not one and the same.

My Lake People DFC-430 never skipped a frame, ever, it was just a tad too bulky for my taste (but could save your back if smashing a window was the only way out of a car, or a train wagon).

I switched to RME ADI-4 DD for precisely this very function, it was more in line with the application and had more functions aboard which came in handy at times, and it served me great since ever. But, as I found comfort in a centrally-operated volume control for my application, the ADI-2 Pro won its kingdom soon after (or almost before) it was launched.

Enjoy your BabyFace Pro! It's an(other) RME wonderbox that goes a long way in every direction, actually longer that any use I may have thought of when I first bought it. I've grown so fond of it, it now drives my ADI-2 Pro even if I could spare me to carry it around, and use the laptop's built-in optical SPDIF out instead. But I just can't resist the BabyFace Pro format, flexibility, the TotalMix FX behind it, and then stability, low latency, unbiased output quality.