Topic: Using Multiface and Fireface 400 Together

I have a Multiface II (expanded with ADI-8 PRO via ADAT) and just recently bought a used Fireface 400 to gain access to a few mic preamps (and the extra analog inputs too). The two units are synced with word clock and they both work just fine - separately that is.

AFAIK, it's possible to use multiple Multifaces (and probably multiple Firefaces too?) with the same ASIO driver in DAW, but is there any way to do the same with different RME products, i.e. Multiface + Fireface in this case? ...and ASIO4All isn't the solution I'm looking for...

Or should I just accept the fact that is a hopeless situation and purchase a single Fireface 802 instead?



Kind regards,
Pekka

Re: Using Multiface and Fireface 400 Together

You can simply configure the FF400 to pass analog inputs to the ADAT outputs and connect these to the Multiface. The FF can remain connected to the PC or be used in standalone mode.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Re: Using Multiface and Fireface 400 Together

RME Support wrote:

You can simply configure the FF400 to pass analog inputs to the ADAT outputs and connect these to the Multiface. The FF can remain connected to the PC or be used in standalone mode.

That's one way to do it, of course, but it would mean that I'd have to ditch my ADI-8 Pro (which is connected to the Multiface II) and still be left with the same 16 analog inputs (although with 2 preamps this time).
I guess I should have done my research better before purchasing the Fireface 400. sad For some reason I was under the impression that I would have access to both units i/o channels via ASIO drivers - correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the case with, for example, when two Multifaces are connected to the same computer?

I did a quick research into different RME manuals, and it seems that you can do the same with multiple Firefaces. Is it always limited to the same devices (i.e., two Fireface 400's or two Fireface 800's, 802'sm UC's etc...) but not with, for example, Fireface 400 + Fireface UC/UCX?


Anyway, it seems that the most sensible (but pricey) way to solve my problem is:

1. Buy another Multiface II + OctaMic (or some other A/D with preamps & ADAT connections) and sell the Fireface 400.
2. Sell both Multiface II & Fireface 400 and buy a Fireface 802 instead (it's got 2 ADAT connections, so I could even buy anohter ADI-8 and be able to use all 30 channels via ASIO driver)

A "cheaper" option 1 could be, that I'll keep the Fireface 400 and use it in standalone mode - instead of buying an OctaMic (or alike). But, at least for me, it feels kind of silly to use a full-featured audio interface as a simple A/D converter...



Regards,
Pekka Nissinen

Re: Using Multiface and Fireface 400 Together

Hello,

HDSP and Firewire devices do not share the same ASIO driver... Another Multiface (+ interface card) or a card like the HDSPe Raydat would work.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Re: Using Multiface and Fireface 400 Together

Pecosbil wrote:
RME Support wrote:

You can simply configure the FF400 to pass analog inputs to the ADAT outputs and connect these to the Multiface. The FF can remain connected to the PC or be used in standalone mode.

That's one way to do it, of course, but it would mean that I'd have to ditch my ADI-8 Pro (which is connected to the Multiface II) and still be left with the same 16 analog inputs (although with 2 preamps this time).
I guess I should have done my research better before purchasing the Fireface 400. sad For some reason I was under the impression that I would have access to both units i/o channels via ASIO drivers - correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the case with, for example, when two Multifaces are connected to the same computer?

I did a quick research into different RME manuals, and it seems that you can do the same with multiple Firefaces. Is it always limited to the same devices (i.e., two Fireface 400's or two Fireface 800's, 802'sm UC's etc...) but not with, for example, Fireface 400 + Fireface UC/UCX?


Anyway, it seems that the most sensible (but pricey) way to solve my problem is:

1. Buy another Multiface II + OctaMic (or some other A/D with preamps & ADAT connections) and sell the Fireface 400.
2. Sell both Multiface II & Fireface 400 and buy a Fireface 802 instead (it's got 2 ADAT connections, so I could even buy anohter ADI-8 and be able to use all 30 channels via ASIO driver)

A "cheaper" option 1 could be, that I'll keep the Fireface 400 and use it in standalone mode - instead of buying an OctaMic (or alike). But, at least for me, it feels kind of silly to use a full-featured audio interface as a simple A/D converter...



Regards,
Pekka Nissinen

It all depends on how often you need all inputs (and/or outputs). If allays you need a better solution, but if only rarely  and for recording only, you could create a recording setup with asio4all. It will not be the best latency (the default 512 seems to work best, but I tried it only briefly in a distant past) but it will be easy to switch once set up.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
HDSP9652+ADI-8AE  2X HDSP9632
Cubase pro10

Re: Using Multiface and Fireface 400 Together

Hello,

I'm digging up this old topic to know if there's a way to use an old Multiface 1 with my trusty Fireface 400 in order to add 8 analog inputs via ADAT.

I want to slave the Multiface 1 to the Fireface 400, the latter being connected to my Macbook Pro with Firewire.

The thing is I don't have the means to connect the Multiface to my laptop (no PCIexpress card) so I'm wondering how to configure the Multiface 1 so that it carries/converts the 8 analog inputs through ADAT and set the clock on ADAT.

From what I understood the Multiface doesn't remember this kind of settings if I power it down, does it?

Thanks for enlightening me and sorry if the answer lies somewhere on this forum, but I searched a lot already...

Best,
Souleiman

Re: Using Multiface and Fireface 400 Together

You will need a computer with HDSP card to set up the Multiface and then keep it powered on. No way around it.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
HDSP9652+ADI-8AE  2X HDSP9632
Cubase pro10

Re: Using Multiface and Fireface 400 Together

vinark wrote:

You will need a computer with HDSP card to set up the Multiface and then keep it powered on. No way around it.

RME Support wrote:

You can simply configure the FF400 to pass analog inputs to the ADAT outputs and connect these to the Multiface. The FF can remain connected to the PC or be used in standalone mode.

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. These two comments contradict each other. Which one should I listen to?

I'm in a similar situation. I have an UCX connected to a MacBook, and I'd like to buy an used Multiface II in order to connect it to my UCX only through ADAT. Is that possible? If yes, can I also use the MIDI ports from the Multiface II?

Re: Using Multiface and Fireface 400 Together

No contradiction:
Multiface II has no internal memory, so cannot stay on stand alone AD/DA mode.
FF400 does have internal memory and can work as stand alone AD/DA.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.