Topic: Upgraded logic to 10.3.3 now RME ARC causes all sorts of mid conflict

HI All

Today I upgraded to Logic 10.3.3 and have hit a major issue. We use a RME ARC USB total mix controller and since upgrading to 10.3.3 have major issues with thew ARC controller midi affecting things in Logic. Initially we did not know it as the RME so rolled back to the previously 10.3.2 and did the usual by deleting preferences etc - but no change.

By chance we unplugged the RME and it stops the issue. The issue we originally noticed was the Tune dial on the EXS24 going wild rotating from 0 - max constantly, and then by touching the ARC large encoder it effected the speed of what the tune dial was doing. Also snapshot buttons are causing logic un mute.

So without the RME plugged in we don't have the issue which i suspect is caused by the 10.3.3 upgrade - this has never happened before.

Our system (Mac Pro 2013 - Sierra 10.12.16 , RME ARC USB, Total Mix 1.43, Novation SL Remote, I connectivity MIO10) note everything aside from the RME is plugged in in terms of midi conflict

I have visited the RME site all our drivers are up to date and i have read threads of this occurring on their forum and it being discussed that its not an RME issue but one that Logic will accept all midi information no matter what port. I have tried to use a monitor within the midi environment page but i cannot seem to stop the issue (EXS24 tune going wild and also other buttons on the RME now mute and unmute logic groups.

Im now thinking this situation could have changed with High Sierra released since etc posts i mention above (we are not running HS)

HELP, current have had to pull the ARC from the system...

Please help thanks,

Re: Upgraded logic to 10.3.3 now RME ARC causes all sorts of mid conflict

Did you follow this one?

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25586

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes followed that but it made no difference

I selected bypass all control surfaces and it has stopped it but seems intermittent as does come back as an issue. Unsure that within logic 10.3.3 the bypass all control surfaces is a permanent preference

I have had an update on a suspicion that the RME arc usb was causing our midi keyboard to continuously drop out in logic.

we have the issue using a m audio or a novation controller keyboard losing connection within logic continuously, but if you leave logic open and test if the midi keyboard is connected still via the OS X audio and midi app it is still connected - the issue occurs when using logic not Ableton. We have removed the arc usb from the system for two days and have not had a single drop out

its the RME causing our problem...

TristanG wrote:

I have had an update on a suspicion that the RME arc usb was causing our midi keyboard to continuously drop out in logic.

we have the issue using a m audio or a novation controller keyboard losing connection within logic continuously, but if you leave logic open and test if the midi keyboard is connected still via the OS X audio and midi app it is still connected - the issue occurs when using logic not Ableton. We have removed the arc usb from the system for two days and have not had a single drop out

Just wanted to +1 this comment. I actually have been looking for other people experiencing this exact same issue. It has been driving me insane that this keeps happening. Having to restart logic every 30 minutes or so because my MIDI keyboards and pads have stopped working is immensely frustrating, especially in a professional audio working environment. I'm very desperate at this point and would really like RME to come up with a fix for this issue. The Arc USB is just bombarding logic with so much MIDI data that my guess would be that it is flooding it and crashing the Logic MIDI driver.... Even better, when the MIDI keyboards stop working and I try to bring up "Musical Typing" by pressing cmd+K, logic crashes and needs to reboot.

I'm a big fan of the Fireface 802 interface, but damn... the ARC USB really spoils it for me at this point.

Any word on the possible cause of this RME? smile

Yes I have been talking with RME and they responded that they are looking to rectify, fingers crossed

JJLB wrote:
TristanG wrote:

Just wanted to +1 this comment. I actually have been looking for other people experiencing this exact same issue. It has been driving me insane that this keeps happening. Having to restart logic every 30 minutes or so because my MIDI keyboards and pads have stopped working is immensely frustrating, especially in a professional audio working environment. I'm very desperate at this point and would really like RME to come up with a fix for this issue. The Arc USB is just bombarding logic with so much MIDI data that my guess would be that it is flooding it and crashing the Logic MIDI driver.... Even better, when the MIDI keyboards stop working and I try to bring up "Musical Typing" by pressing cmd+K, logic crashes and needs to reboot.

I'm a big fan of the Fireface 802 interface, but damn... the ARC USB really spoils it for me at this point.

Any word on the possible cause of this RME? smile

Hello all, 
my setup has exactly the same problem.
Logic 10.3.3. ( as far as I remember the arc made logic crash before this version too, so it shouldn´t be update-related.)
My System : Imac 2013, OS 10.12.6, Fireface ucx, Novation Impulse Keyboard/Automap and studiologic sl88 Grand.
Everything works fine - without the ARC. ?
I´m new to the forum, 15 years of using all sorts of rme-devices, but for the first time something ( the ARC ) does not work.
For quite some time I thought I´d be only one with this problem so I´m happy, that it is an issue not only for me and gets adressed.
So thanks for that !
Hope they´re working on it and get it fixed. But I´m confident smile

Still no updates on this, we have had to remove the RME Arc from our system and replace with a monitor controller for the time being until improvements are made sad

Yes, the update takes some time. We will have to provide a flash update tool for the ARC USB, reprogram it to use SysEx commands, then update all TM FX versions to listen to these...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks MC, great that changes are afoot - any idea on timescales?

MC wrote:

Yes, the update takes some time. We will have to provide a flash update tool for the ARC USB, reprogram it to use SysEx commands, then update all TM FX versions to listen to these...

MC wrote:

Hi MC, do we have any update information on this yet?
Thanks

Hi MC

do you have any updates on this fix yet?, really needing the ARC back in the system as it performs so much better than having a standard monitor controller

MC wrote:

It's next on our list, so not too far away. Still I can't predict a date.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks MC really hope this happens quickly as it can to help us and the other users reporting the issue.

Can you give an approximation of what too too far away could be 1 month/2 months etc?. Being a commercial studio we need to make plans for contingency should this never be resolved for LPX use?

MC wrote:

For what it's worth, I'm having the midi dropouts too. Even more than before now in Logic 10.4.2 so it seems. I just learned that the RME ARC could be the cause, so unplugged it and indeed problem is gone! Not an option though, not using the ARC. A rough estimate on when a fix will be available would be great!

RME Fireface 802 + RME ARC USB
Mac Pro 2010 | 12core 3.46ghz | 96gb
MacOS 10.13.6
Logic Pro X 10.4.2

Morning MC any updates on this??

Thanks Tristan

MC wrote:

As promised we are currently working on it. It might be that we have a first beta in this forum end of next week, but don't count on it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Just stumbled upon this thread- glad I found it!  For now disconnecting ARC solves my dropped MIDI notes.

macOS 10.12.6
MBP 11,3 (15" late 2013)
FF UCX FW v47 driver v3.08
RME ARC USB

This is great news MC, will keep an eye on the forum

MC wrote:

As promised we are currently working on it. It might be that we have a first beta in this forum end of next week, but don't count on it.

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopi … 59#p135359

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi,
as long as my RME ARC Remote is connected I cant work with the smart Controls of VSL Vienna Plugins.
When I disconnect it workd. Problem is I'd like to work with both ! I see people are heaving similar trouble. Any Ideas?
p

What prevented you from clicking on the link above your post?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

23 (edited by rdxm 2019-03-31 09:11:36)

Copy that, I just got my hands on the arc, and me too is facing similar issue,  when arc is connected, logic midi input meter shows activity coming through arc, which then interfears with other logic midi instruments...
Need a fix for it ASAP.

System: MacPro 5,1
Logic Pro X:10.4.4
Totalmix Fx:1.60
Ufx:3.36

Did you read this thread? Or just the first post?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME