Topic: Using ADI 2 DAC as a preamp

Hello,
I envisage to use ADI-2 DAC with passive speakers connected to a class D ampli.
The input (PCM files) will come from my computer via Toslink or USB.
So, i should have : PC/Mac => Toslink/USB => ADI-2 DAC => XLR => class D ampli => copper cables => passive speakers

So, here's my question : can i use ADI-2 DAC as a standard preamp with XLR connection to an ampli in good conditions ? Or is it dedicated for headphones only ?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Mac/PC => USB/Toslink => customized DAC => RCA => Yamaha R-S700 => copper cables => JBL 4313B

2 (edited by ramses 2017-12-25 09:54:54)

Re: Using ADI 2 DAC as a preamp

Did you already have a look at the RME product page ?

http://www.rme-audio.de/products/adi_2-dac.php
http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/adi_2-dac.php

The square on the right hand puts together the connectivity, also visible on product photos (front + back):

Line outputs:
- XLR Balanced
- Cinch unbalanced

Digital Inputs:
- USB
- SPDIF
-- optical
-- coaxial

Also a very detailed handbook is available where the technical data is detailed.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by gdasnon 2017-12-25 10:53:18)

Thank you for that answer, but I think I misspoke.

I was first interested in the ADI 2 Pro and now I am interested in this DAC which is announced but not yet tested. It seems to reflect most of the features of the ADI 2 Pro.

The ADI 2 Pro has been tested mainly with headphones and sometimes with active speakers but almost never with passive speakers.

I know that it is equipped with XLR outputs but my question is audiophile: is this DAC is (or will be) able to serve correctly as a preamplifier in the sense of an audiophile.

I'm sorry if my English is not perfect because I don't speak it and I'm doing my best.

Mac/PC => USB/Toslink => customized DAC => RCA => Yamaha R-S700 => copper cables => JBL 4313B

There is no difference between active speakers and a power amp plus passive speakers.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by ramses 2017-12-25 13:40:21)

> I was first interested in the ADI 2 Pro and now I am interested in this DAC which is announced
> but not yet tested. It seems to reflect most of the features of the ADI 2 Pro.

The intro of the ADI-2 DAC says it clearly. Its the ADI-2 Pro brought to the point for HiFi purists. Same DA conversion quality.
AD has not been implemented, as this is more for recording/studio applications.
Instead it got some very useful additions for HiFi customers:
- remote control with very cool programmable buttons (4) which you can assign as you like with 20 different functions
- separate asymmetric cinch outputs as addition to the symmetric ones (XLR)
- separate super low noise outputs for IEMs with even 10dB less noisefloor
- Steadyclock FS with even lower Jitter (special Quartz with jitter in the femto second area)
- Display "auto dark" function after 10sec (can be turned on/off)

http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/adi_2-dac.php

"To address the home and HiFi users, RME exchanged some of the Pro's studio features with typical home and HiFi ones. With an adapted feature set and much simplified operation RME proudly presents the ADI-2 DAC. Built on the technology, concept and features of the ADI-2 Pro, the DAC concentrates on DA conversion in top high-end quality, along with two exceptional outputs for headphones and IEMs, and - a remote control."

> The ADI 2 Pro has been tested mainly with headphones and sometimes with active speakers
> but almost never with passive speakers.

Sorry, but I can't see the point in questioning that.
ADI-2 DAC (as well as ADI-2 Pro) will be connected to a line input of your HiFi's preamp:
- either symmetric (XLR) or
- asymmetric (cinch)
no matter where your HiFi Preamp is located, whether in the
- preamp
- poweramp
- AVR receiver
- active speaker

> I know that it is equipped with XLR outputs but my question is audiophile:
> is this DAC is (or will be) able to serve correctly as a preamplifier in the sense of an audiophile.

You said you would have been satisfied with the ADI-2 Pro, then you will also be satisfied with the ADI-2 DAC,
as it has the same D/A convesion quality as the ADI-2 Pro according to RMEs product sheet.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

6 (edited by gdasnon 2017-12-25 18:54:55)

@MC et ramses : thanks for your answers

@ramses : my question is about using the ADI 2 DAC as a DAC AND as a preamp (in a configuration without existing preamp) :
PC/Mac => Toslink/USB => ADI-2 DAC (DAC + Preamp) => XLR => poweramp => copper cables => passive speakers

NB : I never wrote that I "would have been satisfied with the ADI-2 Pro" because i never used it. Sorry for my bad english.

I want to replace my actual "customized DAC +Yamaha R-S700" by "ADI-2 DAC + Apollon NC800" (http://www.apollonaudio.com/apollon-aud … amplifier/)

Thanks again for your advices.

> ADI-2 DAC (DAC + Preamp) => XLR => poweramp

If your poweramp has symmetric inputs then it doesnt matter whether you connect a preamp or the ADI.

According to the vague tech specs of that amp's website it reaches full output power at +10 dBu input level (my guess). The DAC's +1 dBu output reference level will ensure that you don't blow your speakers and ears too easily, but in real world operation you might still opt for balanced line level attenuators to bring the level (volume) down another 10 or 20 dB:

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25399

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

This point seems clear now, thanks again for your help.