Topic: future alternative versions of the ADI-2 Pro?

now that the ADI-2 DAC is announced how are chances that  we will see a few more alterations of the ADI-2 PRO!?

I am specifically thinking of an "Interface" version of the ADI-2 PRO that is meant to be a high-end Audio interface!

What i find so intriguing about the ADI-2 PRO is not only that is sounds absolutely amazing but
also the fact that it is a monitor controller and dual headphone amp in one single unit.

This makes it almost perfect to be used as an audio interface.

The only thing that is missing is an option to monitor the analog inputs directly through the analog outputs.
I am specificially thinking of a hardware based solution that does not require additoonal software like TotalMix.

RME ADI-2 PROi ?

I am aware that there are dedicated RME products for this purpose but the only units that have
all required features are the UFX series, which for most people are way too packed with features.

Another extremely useful feature would be integrated mic preamps.

I guess this would be too much to put in such a small box but maybe
a dedicated box (RME ADI-2 PROp) that can be used in conjunction with the RME ADI-2 PRO i
both sound wise and in relation to the aesthetic appereance!?

Just a few ideas...

Re: future alternative versions of the ADI-2 Pro?

Adding the new Digiface USB would be a great way to turn the ADI-2 Pro into an audio interface for DAW use. Or use the Babyface Pro, which also includes preamps and instrument inputs. The ADI-2 Pro can connect to either interface via ADAT optical format.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

3 (edited by FIXXXER 2017-12-27 23:36:08)

This is of course possible but requires a much more complicated Setup.
Looking at the ADI-2 PRO as a standalone unit, the simplicity, at least for me is one of the key features!

By the way i am already using an AIO in conjunction with the ADI-2 PRO just to be able to monitor the
analog inputs directly.

It does work but it is also resulting in another problem, so yeah, the more you add the more possible problems will occour.

As a future development, I expect to get a Dante/Ravenna/AES67 so called AOIP interface somehow integrated. It would be absolutely fantastic. AOIP solutions are getting to get some ground even for higher end audio purposes. So please consider it.

koscso wrote:

As a future development, I expect to get a Dante/Ravenna/AES67 so called AOIP interface somehow integrated. It would be absolutely fantastic. AOIP solutions are getting to get some ground even for higher end audio purposes. So please consider it.

https://www.audinate.com/about/news-act … linx-fpgas

6 (edited by rbbrnck 2018-01-05 00:44:31)

Jeff wrote:

Or use the Babyface Pro, which also includes preamps and instrument inputs. The ADI-2 Pro can connect to either interface via ADAT optical format.

it's exactly what I've just done today, after a few weeks of bumping options against my skull's inner walls.

i've bought me an ADI-2 Pro AND a BabyFace Pro, meant to work in tandem as a (highly) portable kit, that's easier to board a plane with as cabin luggage than my UFX.

BabyFace Pro it's gonna receive hand-held mic, headset mic, stereo fx chain (from a guitar-like table-board), and whatever's played by software running on the computer, while conversion and monitoring are handled by the ADI-2 Pro.

lucky chance for me was, i own these very units privately, so it was easy to test each scenario and see if it was to my liking, before shelling out company's money for the purchase.

at first i was skeptical about using the ADI-2 Pro as a sort of volume knob, despite having received the tip from MC himself, no less.

but then it dawned on me, and all it took to break my prejudice was a couple of jobs, and my usual pair of ears.

soundwise, it's like the ADI-2 isn't there in the signal path, while you retain all its flexibility and functionality, with the added value of a sample rate converter (that none else has onboard), which is solid gold in my specific application.

i might as well weld one on top of the other... but they'll simply travel in the same luggage bag, instead, and be connected one way or another to each other while they sit on the same flight-case lid.

want another benefit of such a configuration? just add a second PSU for powering the BabyFace Pro, and you'll have redundancy for the ADI-2, too (because it's the very same PSU).

just add to the picture how both can and do work as either stand-alone AND class-compliant interfaces, and with iOS devices, too... and you'll get yourself the most flexible workflow, along with the safest failback/redundant set, all in the most portable form factor that can be had.

mmm... i just forgot to mention that i'll have the famous 20A portable powerbank along, the one MC posted about, in case i need or want to work from a barn, or in the field where there's no AC mains (again, something i couldn't do with the UFX).

too bad there's no ready-made carrying case (or bag) to pack them both as one; that's about the only con i've come to figure out, against a ton of pros. i'll stitch me one, maybe, a leather one?