Topic: Adi-2 Pro as preamp 2.1 ?

Hi,

I'd like to use the Adi-2 Pro in a 2.1 configuration but it does not seem possible to me.

Main Out 1/2 with the high-pass filter for active speakers (or front amp) and PH 1/2 with a low-pass filter for active subwoofer, both in 24 dB/octave… and both with EQ, it would be perfect !

It would be necessary to apply filters on the Main Out 1/2 and the PH 1/2 independently.

Or, maybe it would be necessary to control Main Out 1/2 and Phones Out 3/4 volumes together to use the headphone output as a output for subwoofer.
I know there is a “dual volume” screen but we can't make it permanent.

Is there a possibility to use Adi-2 Pro as a DAC preamp 2.1 ?

Thank you for your answers and sorry if my english is not quite correct.

Re: Adi-2 Pro as preamp 2.1 ?

> I know there is a “dual volume” screen but we can't make it permanent.

Sure you can. Plug an unconnected TRS into PH 1/2 so that the unit thinks it drives two headphones, and disable the rear mute for 1/2. Now you can enter the Dual Volume mode by pressing the VOLUME knob (the big one), the marker in the status bar will cover both volume settings, and it will stay in that dual volume mode.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi, thank you for your answer.
I will try this solution as soon as possible.
Could you tell me the following points :
Are the filters in 24db / octave?
What are the differences in level (db) and impedance between outputs 1/2 and 3/4?
Is the 3/4 output symmetrical and therefore a jack / xlr adaptation is preferable to go to the subwoofer input ?
Best regards

Low cut and hi cut are 12 dB/ oct.
Level and impedance is clearly stated in the manual.
Output 3/4 is stereo and therefore unbalanced.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Would it be possible in a future version to offer several types of filters including a 24 dB / octave ?

Not possible. There is no DSP calculation power left.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi,
I tried to use the ADI2 in 2.1.
Except error on my part, the dual volume mode does not stay when you turn off the device.
It should be a parameter in the settings to be really permanent and practical.
There is also the message “overload / short detected” which is displayed permanently...

And you did not have the idea that instead of an unconnected connector you plugged in one with a short inside? Or did you plug a mono (TS) jack into Phones 3/4, shorting the right channel? I miss my frying pan smiley...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Not possible. There is no DSP calculation power left.

Hi, MC, if 24db/oct is impossible then is 6db/oct (first order) possible with the DSP? It would be very useful for me because my speaker's xo is made of first order filters, so it would enable for ADI-2 pro's DSP to replace the speaker's xo. I know that such demands are relatively low, but wouldn't it be helpful if possible?

Sorry for, maybe, a stupid question.

I read the adi DAC 2 manual but I still have a question about the volume.

I understand that it exists for the XLR outputs some reference electrical levels +1, +7, +13 and +19 dBu (@ 0 dBFS).

For each reference level of the XLR outputs, someone could confirm to me that it is possible to set the variable output level with the volume control knob (or remote) for the XLR outputs (to control the volume send to the monitor speakers) ?

RME Babyface pro, Cubase 2 for Ios, RME ADI-2 Dac

Of course that is possible.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Many thanks MC

RME Babyface pro, Cubase 2 for Ios, RME ADI-2 Dac