Topic: TotalMix FX version 1.50 supports remote control over network (Final)
RME proudly presents TotalMix FX version 1.50, which is now available for public testing
The focus in version 1.50 lies on the complete remote control capability over network. TotalMix FX has long been supporting remote control via MIDI standard commands, the Mackie protocol and OSC. But these work only in banks, with limited performance, and do not use all the features available in TotalMix FX. Also the graphical surfaces differ significantly from TotalMix FX.
With the iPad app TotalMix FX for iPad a design identical to the desktop versions exists. However, the app has been developed specifically for the local control of an interface connected to the iPad, so on the iPad it offers the same as the desktop version on a computer with RME interface.
Version 1.50 now supports network remote over TCP, 'normal' network with Ethernet and WiFi. The remote side consists of the program/app TotalMix Remote, which basically does not differ from TotalMix FX. However, there is no communication to a local interface, but via network to all systems running TotalMix FX version 1.50. The remote software is available free of charge for Windows, Mac OS and (soon) iOS (iPad).
The remote software mirrors the current state of the host system on a Windows computer, Mac or iPad - the entire mixer state, the complete routing, all FX settings, Channel Layouts and the level meters. The latter show particularly clearly the great advantage of the TCP-based remote: lowest system load and very low latency. In contrast to popular, browser-based network solutions, TotalMix FX minimizes the burden on the remote client and the host, and thrills with fluid operation without delays. This is true even if a fader group is moved quickly, and many nodes need to process changing gain values. Even using standard WiFi, TotalMix Remote works quickly and seamlessly with TotalMix FX 1.50.
Whether a complete and clear control of the mix from a remote location, control of the mix with a Windows or iOS tablet connected via WiFi, the individual setting of monitor mixes from the respective musician, or a simple MeterBridge for all inputs, outputs and software playback channels on an additional display - the new network functionality opens up new, comfortable and versatile capabilities. And this is true for all RME interfaces since 2001 which are currently compatible with TotalMix FX.
The setup is simple: Enter the IP address of the host computer (where your audio interface is connected) into TotalMix Remote (which runs on a searate Windows, Mac or iOS device) - done. This is possible even without additional tools, since the host's address is displayed directly in the new Network Settings page in TotalMix FX (under Options).
TotalMix Remote with TotalMix FX 1.50 is capable of multi-device, multi-remote and multi-host operation. On the remote computer the extended remote functions of the normal desktop version are also available, so a remote of the remote via MIDI and Mackie protocol, typically with fader banks in hardware, is possible (Mac and Win, not iPad). Even the popular ARC USB, a USB-based remote control with a rotary wheel and 15 freely programmable, illuminated buttons, can be connected to the remote computer and used with the software TotalMix Remote (as the ARC USB can not be connected to an iPad this is not possible under iOS).
Activating the TotalMix Remote server in TotalMix FX and TotalMix Remote (Options, Network Remote Settings) will issue a Windows Firewall warning. Please allow communication or it can't work.
There are some additional news in version 1.50:
- Fixed nap problem under Mac OS X
- Fixed shutdown problem under Windows
- Workspaces from UFX can now be used with UFX II
- Removed left-over context menu entries in DAW mode
- ARC USB is freed after 3 seconds when not assigned to any interface (use it as remote for other tasks)
- ARC USB supports Shift key for fine fader control
- ARC USB wheel rotation is now locked to the fader's travel position, unless going over the top and bottom
- Mac TM FX: Quick Workspaces were not saved after Cancel has been used
- Mac TM FX: Quick Workspace name (list entry) was not saved immediately
- MADIface Pro: Assign channel list showed only 60 MADI channels
Any feedback is appreciated!
Quick Guide to TotalMix Remote http://www.rme-audio.de/download/tmfx150guide.pdf
Windows Final (RC1):
TotalMix FX 1.50: http://www.rme-audio.de/download/totalm … n_1503.zip
TotalMix Remote 1.01: http://www.rme-audio.de/download/tmfx_win_remote.zip
TotalMix FX 1.50: http://www.rme-audio.de/download/totalm … c_1505.zip
TotalMix Remote 1.01: http://www.rme-audio.de/download/tmfx_mac_remote.zip
Installation: Exit TotalMix FX and copy the new version into Windows\System32 overwriting the old one. Both remotes come with installer.
iOS: TotalMix Remote for iPad version 1.13 is available on the Apple App Store as free download
Known Bugs / Issues / Changes (constantly updated)
- [Fixed] Remotes: Wrong localization in some dialogs
- [Fixed] Remotes: Matrix: right channel field missing in all routings
- [Fixed] Remotes: Changing Mains to Mono was not blocked (caused crash)
- [Fixed] Remotes: AI/AO modules not detected/shown
- [Fixed] Remotes: renaming CRM channels is not possible
- [Fixed] Remotes: wrong routing shown for last channel submix
- [Fixed] Host: doesn't like German Umlauts
- [Fixed] iPad App: Gain reduction level meters (Dynamics) sometimes not shown on some channels
- [Fixed] iPad App: MADIface Pro and XT FX I/O level meters don't work
- [Done] iPad App: Entering the Host IP address should not require Return key
- [Done] iPad App: Add vertical scrolling for Control Strip
- [Done] iPad App: Add option to prevent sleep
- [Fixed] iPad APP: Crash on connection loss
- [Fixed] iPad App: Crash in graphics module
- [Fixed] iPad App: Changing Mains to Mono was not blocked (caused crash)
- [Fixed in 1.12] iPad APP: Crash on connection loss when in Settings page
- [Improved in 1.12] iPad APP: behaviour of adjusting the stereo gain (mic input etc)
- [Fixed] All remotes: MADIface Pro Assign channel list showed only 60 MADI channels
- iPad APP: add option for vertical 2 finger scrolling - Postponed to one update later
- Mac Workspaces of a host can not be loaded from a Win remote - Postponed to v 1.6
- Mac Workspaces of a host can not be loaded from a Win host - Postponed to v 1.6
Planned for the final release:
- Added in beta 4 - TM Remote: Firewall warning dialog if blocking is detected on program start
- Added in beta 5: User management in host for all remotes
- Added in beta 5: Storing/loading of ARC USB presets
- Added in beta 5: Toggle TM FX open close via hotkey and ARC USB
- Added in beta 5: Inst and +48V option for ARC USB buttons
- Fixed in beta 5: Fix Peak Hold Time setting (Windows)
- Added in beta 5: Try to recreate Z-order of multiple TM FX windows
- Added in final: extend number of Aux Devices to 16
- Fixed in final: Loopback state lost during sleep with power-off (FF400 and FF800)
- Fixed in final: ADM problem of UFX+ at double speed
- Fixed in final: TM FX crash when ADM is active and sample rate is changed to DS/QS
- Fixed in final: potential crash cause when the number of channels change
- Fixed in final: Dynamics level shown in panel only when activated from Host side