Topic: SM7b and Babyface Pro

Considering getting an SM7b but I hear they need quite a bit of gain from the pre's, anyone had any experience with this?   Would I need to factor in a cloudlifter?

Re: SM7b and Babyface Pro

Did you Google 'SM7B Low Volume'? The Cloudlifter doesn't reduce the noise that this low level mic causes. I would think about an alternative.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Did you Google 'SM7B Low Volume'? The Cloudlifter doesn't reduce the noise that this low level mic causes. I would think about an alternative.

I'll have a look thanks - so the RME pre amps are not going to change anything either?  I know they are very clean sounding, but would you suggest a different pre amp still or are the ones in the babyface pro ok?

I just looked at the pre amp specs on the Babyface pro 76db gain - so plenty for an SM7b so should be fine?

The SM7b is expensive and very low output. If the RME preamp can't do it's job, you'll have a very hard time finding one that does.

There are numerous other mics that are worth your attention and cost one fifth of the SM7b. Usually, these will have a higher output. Sometimes a much higher output.

Don't get misled by internet reputation. There's an entire universe out there and none of us know how your voice sounds through any mic.

The cloudlifter is also expensive. FFS, there's one 35 cent FET in there. Nice metalwork, tho. It's a bandaid if your preamp doesn't have enough gain. No need for it at all with a decent mic on a decent preamp. The RME preamps are far beyond "decent". Less noise is almost non=existant. More gain is available, in the "boutique" sector, starting at 3.500$ for just a preamp. It might have a "colour" switch or pot tho big_smile

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

What interests me about the sm7b is the fact that it won't pick up the room much.  Ive tried a lot of cheap condensers and don't care for them - usually harsh sounding like most of the sE mics - brittle and not my thing.  So are you are talking about other dynamics? I've used Neumanns and other high end mics as well which do sound nice the U87 I owned for a while and was great but overkill and perhaps a bit too distant sounding for my music. I often use my SM58 and get reasonable results on my voice - not as smooth as the SM58 but it just works better, in fact I've always gone back to a mic like that just because it suits my voice, this is why I want to try the SM7b.

So if you have some others to recommend please let me know.  Im not a fan of some of the suggested popular mics though - Audio Technica mics usually annoy me.

Consider the Beyerdynamic M88TG, a very good-sounding hypercardioid.
(This is a private recommendation, not an official RME endorsement or so)

D.F.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

Consider the Beyerdynamic M88TG, a very good-sounding hypercardioid.
(This is a private recommendation, not an official RME endorsement or so)

D.F.

Thanks I'll definitely have a look at that.

Just to answer this for others looking.

I did plummet and get an SM7b as it suited my needs.

It works fantastic with the RME pres and I couldn't recommend this pair enough as a great recording/broadcast solution.  The pres have loads of gain and the SM7b is more than happy with the amount supplied.   Again the Babyface Pro proves what a fantastic interface it is.  Probably the best piece of kit I've ever owned!