1 (edited by tseliottt 2018-01-23 01:29:47)

Topic: HELP: HDSPe PCIe with constant dropouts, only usable at 4096 samples.

Recently built a brand new desktop hoping it would fulfill my digital needs. Didn't really skimp on any parts:
CPU: Intel i7-8700k
Motherboard: ASrock Fatal1ty Z370 mini-ITX
RAM: 16GB 2666 MHz

I then bought a HDSPe PCIe card due to my good experiences with my old HDSPe ExpressCard. Have used both my Multiface and Digiface with it.

So far, its been unusable. Performs no better than my $30 Behringer UCA202. When using Reason with sample rate set @ <1024, I'll sometimes get dropouts with only one Arturia VST loaded. I created a test track that only has 5 VSTs w/ effects added, and its unplayable at anything other than 4096 samples.

I've spent the weekend trying to trouble shoot, and have gotten nowhere.

• It's not the CPU or RAM as they never go beyond 15% and 40% usage respectively

• I've downloaded the latest driver (4.21) and flash update tool from the RME website

• I've set the WDM devices to zero

• I've used a latency monitor, and have tried disabling devices in the device manager

• I've tested using both a Digiface and Multiface with different Firewire cables just to rule them out

• I've disabled my motherboards on-board audio

• I've messed with a few different settings in the BIOS

After all that I'm sort of at a dead end, and don't know what to do next. Any clue what it might be? Any other things I should check, or things I should re-check?

Re: HELP: HDSPe PCIe with constant dropouts, only usable at 4096 samples.

Which PCB revision is the HDSPe PCIe card (that you bought used, right?)? Did you try an external power supply with Multiface/Digiface?

To me it looks like it is the board, either its internal architecture or its not matured BIOS. It's a crazy one anyway, with just one PCIe slot that most probably is optimized for a gamer graphics card.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Which PCB revision is the HDSPe PCIe card (that you bought used, right?)? Did you try an external power supply with Multiface/Digiface?

To me it looks like t it is the board, either its internal architecture or its not matured BIOS. It's a crazy one anyway, with just one PCIe slot that most probably is optimized for a gamer graphics card.

Rev. 1.2, and yes I've tried.

Unfortunately the Z370 chipset is the only option right now for Intels new i7-8700k, and I was pretty set on a mini-ITX setup. Either way, I've disabled just about everything on the chipset through the BIOS, and still the same performance.

Guess I'll just have to chalk this up to the PCIe card and return it.

Hey folks! do you find a way to resolve this problem ?

I was looking foward to upgrade my computer to a new coffee lake cpu with ASRock Z370 Pro4 board. I need this board because of the PCI Slot . I'm using an Hammerfall PCI card with a Digiface.  I'm affraid to have the same problem as you.

Currently it looks like a specific problem of the mainboard, not of the chipset.