Topic: Drop outs with any DSD Upsampling

I just got a ADI-2 Pro to replace a Mytek Stereo 192 DSD DAC & Tascam DA-3000
So whats going I mostly us foorbar 2000 for digital playback pcm & dsd files
I have lot of DSD64 & 128 and hi sample rate wav files recorded from vinyl. The rme sound great if I don't use any upsampling with the Mytek I upsampled all pcm to DSD128 without problems that highest dsd rate on the Mytek. With rme if use the same set up to upsample to DSD128 or DSD256 and with real DSD128 files I get a lot of drop outs no madder what I highest buffer change USB cables.
My computer is a PCaudiolabs ROKbox MC7xs DAW with Windows 7 Pro 64bit i7 cpu 16GB ram with sotm tX-USB pci card for audio usb. Please help thanks

Re: Drop outs with any DSD Upsampling

Current firmware version of ADI-2 Pro? Driver version? Who does the upsampling - Foobar?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Firmware Update 150 DSP 85  foobar 2000 does upsampling also same problem in JRiver Media player and also get dropouts playing DSD128 recordings. Never had any dropout problems  with Mytek Stereo 192 DSD DAC.
DSD playback is not new to me but dropouts like this are.

You mentioned 'highest buffer'. Did you use the highest possible setting for ASIO in the ADI-2 Pro's Settings dialog? That is 2048 samples at single speed , which will change to 16384 samples at 352800 Hz (DSD128). Never had any drop outs with that anywhere. I usually use a quarter of that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I set the buffer to highest sample still getting dropouts. I tried the ifi Nono 3.0 USB and power cleaner reclocks the usb  noluck fixing the problem

I guess there not any real way to fix my problem other that return the ADI-2 Pro and buy Mytek Brooklyn DAC & ADC or just use the RME for ADC and get just a Mytek Brooklyn DAC for the playback. I real don't want to throw more money at this but what I do??

We'll I've been able to verify a similar issue.  Running an Aurender N100H via USB into the ADI-2 Pro Ann and getting a few random dropouts and clicks when playing DSD via USB.  Typically the pops and drop outs are in the first few seconds of play time.  Running the latest Firmware on all devices.  Attempted to run bit_rate_test files but the Aurender won't recognize the higher bit_rate files for some reason.  The scanner is flagging anything over 44.1 as unrecognized. 

As a test I plugged my Mytek Brooklyn in.  Not the Brooklyn + but the last version.  It plays DSD via USB from the Aurender with out any pops or dropouts.  While I really like the features of the ADI-2 Pro I have to wonder why it's not as fool proof as the Brooklyn. Sent request to Aurender regarding the RME Bit Rate Test Files.  Waiting to hear back from them.

As many other companies Mytek uses XMOS for USB and Thesycon drivers for Windows. Under Windows this combination usually uses half the sample rate to transfer DSD data than RME devices. This has historic reasons, they simply were not able to use 768 kHz, which is needed for DSD256, so they started to pack the data differently into 384 kHz. With 768 kHz fully supported we do not need to do that.

This mode is also implemented for UAC 2 operation, so it could be that using it with the Aurender they use the same scheme. You would have to check if that is the case. It might explain why they have performance problems with the ADI-2 Pro.

> Typically the pops and drop outs are in the first few seconds of play time.

Seriously, iPad and iPhone happily play 768 kHz wav and DSD 256 without such effects over an ADI-2 Pro and DAC (Neutron, HF-Player etc). If Aurender's USB implementation is not as good as that of a telephone - well, what can I say....

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

9 (edited by Fmccluskey 2018-02-06 03:34:43)

“Seriously, iPad and iPhone happily play 768 kHz wav and DSD 256 without such effects over an ADI-2 Pro and DAC (Neutron, HF-Player etc). If Aurender's USB implementation is not as good as that of a telephone - well, what can I say....”

Your solution to my problem and $2000 investment is to take a shot at both Mytek and Aurender...and brag about your superior tech.  really...What can I say...

I was going to try the new ADI-2 DAC...

Appreciate your help

You might be in need for reading glasses. Nowhere did I 'take a shot' at Mytek, nor did I 'brag about our superior tech'. If you are not able to understand simple explanations and don't like neutral background information please do not read and write here.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I try one more time:

In my post above I outlined a reason why the Brooklyn might work better than an ADI-2 Pro on a specific USB device. Because RME uses double the sample rate to transfer the same DSD data. This causes a bit higher CPU or system load. (So far about taking a shot against Mytek and bragging about our tech).

Only an Aurender owner can compare the sample rates of Brooklyn and ADI-2 Pro when playing the same DSD file, and only then we know if this theory is true or not.

In any way you should notify Aurender that their device is not performing as expected, they might be able to improve it easily by a firmware update.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Sorry if I misinterpreted your technical comparison. Not sure how to make the comparison. I do know the the frequency link between the Aurender N100H and the ADI-2 Pro during DSD64 playback is asynchronous 176.4 and the ADI-2 is on internal clock. I’m working with Aurender. They did confirm that the bit rate test files are not being uploaded because they are less than a second in length (shown as 0.8 seconds) The scanner assumes the file is corrupted because of its length.

Yes, the ADI shows the clock used for DSD64, and that is also the clock used on USB or SPDIF. The Brooklyn should be able to show its current clock too (but I don't own one).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok, upon first sync the Mytek syncs at 384 and drops down to 176.4 playing DSD64

The ADI-2 Pro initially syncs at 784 and drops to 176.4 playing DSD64.

So, while the initial sync rate is different the play rate is the same.
What should I have Aurender look at? 

Thanks

Is that USB or SPDIF?

It would sure be useful to know if 176.4 kHz wav files are played without clicks and pops.

If you check the ADI Status Screen - is the USB or SPDIF signal stable, or does DSD flicker?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME