Topic: running HDSPe MADI FX @ 192khz

Hi there,

I'm quite confused about playback and recording at 192 kHz rate on the HDSPe MADI Fx.  Everything up until 96kHz works fine.  But I get incorrect playback at 192k (it clearly sounds like it's playing at the incorrect sample rate).  The user guide says this:

With MADI, sample multiplexing is used as well to offer sample rates higher than 96 kHz. In fact, technical reasons require to use this method beyond 96 kHz. A 192K or 384K Frame format would not be fully compatible to the MADI standard. Therefore 192 kHz is supported as S/MUX4 only. So in 48K Frame Quad Speed mode, a MADI device distributes the data of one channel to four consecutive MADI channels. This reduces the available channel count from 64 to 16. As the transmission of quad rate signals with 48K Frame is done at standard sample rate (Single Speed), the MADI ports still operate at 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz.

But I can't find S/MUX4 in the output formats of the HDSPe FX settings.  Can I really get playback to work at 192kHz, or will it just dither down to 48k?  Why, when playing back 192kHz audio, do I not get a clear signal?

regards,

Adam

Re: running HDSPe MADI FX @ 192khz

Why should there be an option if it is the only valid way to work? The card uses that mode when you playback or record at 192 kHz. You can see that in TotalMix the numbers of channels collapses, and using Internal clock audio at the headphone output will sound right.

If you use the MADI card with external equipment - then you should not forget to list that, including the clocking situation.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the reply, Matthias.  I was running the 1+2 outputs, but when I switched to headphone outputs, it played back correctly. I wonder why?  I was just running the HDSPe Madi FX on its own with an internal clock. 

My next question does relate to the other gear I'm using.  I run an Antelope Audio Orion32 via the MADI connectors from the HDSPe Madi FX card.  My Orion32 runs off the internal clock of the MAdi FX, and does so successfully between 44.1-96kHz.  But when I run the soundcard at 192kHz, the Orion returns to 48k, rather than jumping up to 192kHz.  Any idea why this is happening and how to rectify?

regards,

Adam

This is explained in the text that you quoted and should be obvious. MADI 192 can not be detected, it is MADI 48, and must be set manually, in this case at the Orion.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok: I'm still a little confused.  Thanks for your patience. 

Firstly, does MADI 48 dither the sample rate down to 48kHz?

I'm not sure how I set the clock on the Orion32 manually when I have it following the MADI fx clock?  I currently have the Orion32 in for repair, so I can't try it just yet, so apologies if this is a silly question.

regards,

Adam

1. No.

2. I can't help with that, not an Orion owner.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Okay: thanks for your help, Matthias.  smile