Topic: Problems with syncing 2 Apogee ensmble firewire to Raydat

Hi,

I want to run 2 Apogee ensemble firewire with raydat as 2 simple 8 i/o Adat units ( I need the 16 I/O and I like the preamps and the soundof the ensemble)
Connecting the first ensemble ist no problem. I sat the ensemble clock to internal and the Pref.Sync Ref. on the Raydat to ADAT 1.
Btw: I don`t have the WTC module.. and I stil haven`t tried to connect the 2 ensembles via WC BNC.
In the Raydat manual they say, Word Clock isn`t necessary.
Is there a possibility to run them together without Word Clock? I have tried to Clock the slave device via SPDIF, it`s running very bad with drops and clicks.

When I use WC, one of the ensemble units must be clockmaster but I´d prefer taking the Raydat as clockmaster without buying the WTC module.. if possible.

Or is it impossible to connect two ensemble firewire units?! I was afraid of the firewireport, that´s why i went to the Raydat.

Mac OSX 10.11.6, Logic pro X.

Is there somebody out there wit the same problem? .. I need a good advice how to go on.

J. Illmann, Mannheim
RayDat, Babyface pro fs, Apogee Rosetta 800, Little Vintage Maker

Re: Problems with syncing 2 Apogee ensmble firewire to Raydat

Your description is unclear and confusing. Did you set the second Ensemble to clock to its ADAT input? Then the setup described in the beginning of the post should work.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Sorry for the mess, I was tierd..

First of all: Of course, I sat the internal sample rate in all units to the same number.
Ensemble 1 is connected to ADAT 1, Ensemble 2 is connected to ADAT 2

The clock source of Ensemble gives the following possibilities:

internal, SPDIF coax, Wordclock, optical,

The following combination don`t run, the second ensemble is locked but not synced:

Ensemble 1 internal  /  Ensemble 2 optical / Raydat AutoSync / Syncmaster: ADAT 1

Ensemble 1 internal / Ensemble 2 SPDIF coax / Raydat Autosync / Syncmaster: SPDIF

Ensemble 1 internal / Ensemble 2 SPDIF coax / Raydat Master (and connecting all ensembles via coax) /  Syncmaster SPDIF

Ensemble 1 optical / Ensemble 2 optical / Raydat Syncmaster / Syncmaster ADAT 1  or ADAT 2

And what I totally can`t reproduce: Setting both ensembles clock to internal and the Raydat to Autosync -> it works. I was listening for 1 minute and could not hear any drop out, but I don`t trust in that .. I can`t control, if there is a delay between the two ensembles, cause I haven`t got a analog mixing console.

Is there something, I overlooked or misunderstood completely?

Thanks ahead...

J. Illmann, Mannheim

What should work,
4 adat cables (both units in and out)

• Set raydat master and both ensembles to slave to adat (make sure it is adat sync,  optical might be optical spdif)
    One ensemble master, raydat slave to that and other ensemble slave to raydat via adat
    Connect  1 spdif between 2 ensembles and slave one to the other via spdif, slave raydat to master ensemble.

Indeed WC is not needed, there are more options, for example spdif between raydat and ensemble. But the first option is the simplesst and should work, if not try swapping the ensembles who is master. And are you sure that on both units the optical is set to adat?

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Thanks a lot, but I fear that there is no ADAT Sync option... the sync option is named "optical"  and it's maybe SPDIF optical only...I try and come back later.

J. Illmann, Mannheim

I read a little about the ensemble, and you can set the optical ports as either spdif or adat. They must be set to adat, but if you can get 8 channels through them, both in and out it is adat for sure.
Can you get both of them to work alone, so only one ensemble.

Vincent, Amsterdam

Hi, First of all: I have the old Firewire Ensembles.
The clock sources wäre named
internal, SPDIF coax, optical , wordclock.
Nothing like "ADAT sync" or "ADAT clocking" . If I will have success with  syncing them wirhout drops/clicks, I'll announce that worldwide;-)

J. Illmann, Mannheim

Are the optical ports of the raydat correctly set to adat (and not optical spdif in the rme settings panel). Did you try a different adat port on the rme for the non working one

Vincent, Amsterdam

I can have a look at this remotely, if you want.
rme.to/tv

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Yes, you can .. I ´m online now.

J. Illmann, Mannheim

11 (edited by jesill 2018-02-07 16:56:19)

I´m totally confused now. Connecting both ensembles to ADAT 1 and 2, Clock source internal in BOTH UNITS and Sync Ref to Autosync works perfect. I was testing it: splitting the signal of a picked bass and sending it to input 1 ensemble 1 and input 1 ensemble 2 , listening to the signal after recording -> no delay, no drop. But The indicator on HDSPe settings (Preferred Sync Ref / Input Status) on ADAT 2 sows "sync"for 5 seconds, switching to lock for 1 second and going back to sync.

Al your advices and tipps weren`t sucessful.. the "slave unit didn`t sync to any source. Changing the units -> the same. No sync at the slave unit.But thank you. I try some recordings and watch the system working for a few hours..

Maybe Apogees glossery is different.. The setup now works against all theories. Or the Raydat is cleaning the clocks and syncing it somehow.

Or is it a kind of protectionism, tha Apogge only accept clock signals from Apogee clock sources?

I have read about some simlar issues which had been solved by a firmwaredowngrade..

J. Illmann, Mannheim

jesill wrote:

Yes, you can .. I ´m online now.

This does not just happen automatically - you would have needed to send me access data (ID/PW) by mail or over the phone.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

The Apogee can not detect whether a clock source is from another Apogee device or not....

As for your setup, if "Sync" changes to "Lock" even temporarily, the clock configuration is incorrect. The "Sync" shows that all the devices' clocks are very good and so close to each other that the RD thinks the ADAT signal is in Sync - until it drifts after some time.

You can use an Apogee as master, but only one of them. The second one must sync to the first.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Did you try a spdif cable from ensemble master unit out to ensemble slave unit in and set to slave unit to sync to coax? That should fix it. Leave the rest as is!

Vincent, Amsterdam

Now first of all THANK YOU! I switched te units (master - slave)  and the unit now accepts the sync signal via optical and SPDIF. Now the sync indicator doesn`t change to lock. One unit is master, the rest runs as slave. I `ll never touch it again...

That was the idea - running a stable system with the RME drivers and zero latency and the apogee sound, these Apogee firewire interfaces still sound great and the prices go down....

J. Illmann, Mannheim

Now I´m back with the same issue. I think, it`s an Apogee problem. The system run 2 hours very stable, then I switched it off. After switching everything on this his morning, I have had the same problems like yesterday with the setting, which was running quiet stable ... So I announced this to Apogee. Irregular drop outs, irregular sync / lock , etcetc..

J. Illmann, Mannheim

If you switch the one in slave me off and on again does that help?

Vincent, Amsterdam

Yes, for a few minutes or seconds or an hour -- the issues are irregulary.

J. Illmann, Mannheim

You still have the option to try Wordclock.

Otherwise I would suggest to get something more reliable based on actual converter technology.

This is BTW a very nice setup, which I described in my blog: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ort-DE-EN/

The advantage here is to combine the strength of a PCIe based pure digital card with
- newest AD/DA design and quality (ADI-2 Pro ...)
- comfort and flexibility of ARC USB
- add TM FX capabilities around the ADI-2 Pro which has no TM FX integrated

The RayDAT has also the advantage to have 2 completely independend channels for AES and optical SPDIF.
This makes it very easy to use either the AES or the optical SPDIF output to fully control by the ARC USB,
whether you want to hear something via ADI-2 Pro main monitors or phones output.

ADI-2 Pro is very flexibel and is a very good source to integrate superb magnetostatic phones where you get very decent quality without the need to invest into very pricy electrostatic solutions which require a special preamp.

See 2 other articles from me in regards to this:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … C3%A4rker/
and
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ADI-2-Pro/

Sorry, some of these articles are only available in german, but maybe the diagrams help a little bit to give an overview of basic ideas / concepts.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

This is a nice, but expensive idea... If I was a professional, ok, but I´m semi - prof, the  converters are not the problem with the Apogees, for me they`re still good enough ( producing demotapes etc..)

I wait for Apogees answer.. If it won`t help, I am gonna sell the older one and get a Audient ASP or an Focusrite clarett..

J. Illmann, Mannheim

21 (edited by vinark 2018-02-08 14:07:49)

jesill wrote:

Yes, for a few minutes or seconds or an hour -- the issues are irregulary.

Did you try spdif from ensemble master to ensemble slave too? If this doesn't work no need to try wordclock imho.

Oh and remember this can also be a bad optical cable. Did you try swapping?

Vincent, Amsterdam

The SPDIF connection is  coax, the ADAT cables are new. The clocking signal is recognized irregulary via WC and/or SPDIF... must be an Apogee Problem. I geh both units locked and synced when the other is turned Off. The connection between the 2 units doesn't work as it should.

J. Illmann, Mannheim

The SPDIF connection is  coax, the ADAT cables are new. The clocking signal is recognized irregulary via WC and/or SPDIF... must be an Apogee Problem. I geh both units locked and synced when the other is turned Off. The connection between the 2 units doesn't work as it should.

J. Illmann, Mannheim

Just to be shure, the setups are :

Raydat -> Ref. Sync ADAT 1
Ensemble 1 -> clock master connected to RME ADAT 1
Ensemble 2 -> clock slave connected to RME ADAT 2   slaved via SPDIF ( ensemble 1 SPDIF out ensemble 2 SPDIF in)
                                                                                                or Wordclock (ensemble 1 WC out ensemble 2 WC in )
                                                                                   Do I need also WC out ensemble 2 to WC in ensemble 1? And must I sat a
                                                                                   75 ohm termination at the slave unit?

Changing the ensembles with the same setup doesn`t make a difference.

Another try was:
Ensemble 1 -> ADAT 1 (Clock SPDIF slave)
Ensemble 2 -> ADAT 2 (Clock SPDIF slave)
Clockmaster Raydat via SPDIF . Raydat out -> SPDIF ensemble 1 in, SPDIF ensemble 1 out -> SPDIF ensemble 2 in -> SPDIF ensmble 2 out -> Raydat SPDIF in.
Sync. Ref ensemble 1

Could it be an issue in the Raydat card? Could I mesaure this with digicheck?

J. Illmann, Mannheim

No no second WC cable needed and yes it should be terminated.

Raydat issue? No if you can get both units to lock alone to either adat1 and 2 of the raydat it is not a raydat issue afaics.

Can an ensemble indicate when it is locked? If yes is there any way you can lock the 2 ensembles to each other without the raydat? If not, than it is a problem with external clocking of the ensembles. But if you can get one, either one to lock to the other you are in business!

Vincent, Amsterdam

26 (edited by jesill 2018-02-08 17:49:51)

The ensemble has an inidicator light showing it´s status: flashing light means no connection, burning light means connection, blue light = firewire, green light = srtand alone. But I don`t belive in that: Sync Ref. showed "sync" while the green light was flashing.

I should be able to clock the ensembles together, this is an often told topic at gearslutz. People there connect two ensembles via optical to get 16 I/O via Firewire. But the the optical in/outs are in use then and can`t be connected to the Raydat card. But I want to run them through the Raydat card cause I got rid of firewire latency.

J. Illmann, Mannheim

27 (edited by ramses 2018-02-08 18:01:45)

Try Wordclock .. the module is not that expensive and if it should fail, you can still send it back.

BTW what does Apogee support tell ?

If they are not willed to help / fix the issue then I personally would sell the equipment.
Makes somehow no sense to me to be permanently limited by the equipment and the support of this company.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

28 (edited by vinark 2018-02-08 18:25:15)

Try locking the ensembles through WC or spdif!

And maybe you need some setting up of standalone mode with the ensemble utility when connected to firewire.

Vincent, Amsterdam

Ramses, if the ensemble doesn't slave to each other via WC it won't from the Raydat either

Vincent, Amsterdam

vinark wrote:

Ramses, if the ensemble doesn't slave to each other via WC it won't from the Raydat either

Thanks for the pointer, sorry I overlooked it in the above postings.

Thanks for all the good hints. First I´ll try new cables. Due to the fact that the syncing ran for 1 hour, I know that it`s possible... I ordered brand new Coax SPDIF and WC Sync Cabels.
If it doesn`t work, I´ll sell one unit and look for a Fireface UFX.
BtW: Apogee sent me a link to download the older firmware, but the installing had been stopped by my Mac ;-)  Good customer care.

J. Illmann, Mannheim

Now they`re synced with new SPDIF Cables. But one unit doesn`t give a good clock, switching works. Anyway, I´ll sell one unit and go for a Fireface ufx. (limited budget...) or a Audient ASP 800.
Thanky you for your support, it helped a lot! Especially general understandig of syncing and wordclock...

J. Illmann, Mannheim

And now I fixed the problem. I downgraded the firmware of one unit and now they`re in perfect harmony without any drop outs. Via SPDIF, WC and optical either. If someone out there has got the same problem, contact me, I have got the downgrade files for the Ensemble.

J. Illmann, Mannheim

Great! Have fun.

Vincent, Amsterdam