Topic: HDSPe RayDAT vs HDSP 9652 - Improvements?

Is the new card offloading more to the DSP and will the pcie bus improve latency by being connected directly to the cpu, less interference? If I was to use the same computer would there be much of a difference?

Do the pcie card use: Message Signaled Interrupts (MSI)?

Regards
Christian W. Nyman

Re: HDSPe RayDAT vs HDSP 9652 - Improvements?

You could eventually check yourself, MSI IRQs are displayed as negative number.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

christianwn wrote:

Is the new card offloading more to the DSP and will the pcie bus improve latency by being connected directly to the cpu, less interference? If I was to use the same computer would there be much of a difference?

AFAIK no no difference at all. I think it is more a bandwidth thing. PCIe has more bandwidth but since PCI is enough for the HDSP9652 it won't make a difference.
Latency is a product of the buffer(size), not the PCI(e) speed.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

There is no "offloading to the DSP", neither card helps with plugins etc.
You will have a hard time finding current mainboards with PCI, which is the best reason to go for the Raydat...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks for all the replies. By offloading I was thinking about, if the DSP chip of the newer model cards is off loading even more of the routing mixing processing, than the older cards?

Regarding buffer size, I know how it is related to latency. But I was curious about RME's statment of "even lower latency"...
Like do the pcie have any humanly noticeable difference compared to pci. PCIe have dedicated none shared lines to the cpu, that is something pci do not have. And that is a good thing for uninterrupted audio. But does it matter? Do pcie run more smooth than pci?
I do have a motherboard with both pcie and pci, this is a dual xeon board, but I can not get it to run stable with latency lower than sample rate 48, buffer size 128.
As I have written before, even if you can get a faster more modern cpu, a good optimized system is still key to stable performance.
But a newer card is also double the price....

christianwn wrote:

Thanks for all the replies. By offloading I was thinking about, if the DSP chip of the newer model cards is off loading even more of the routing mixing processing, than the older cards?..

Still not sure what "offloading" refers to. What the card does is totally independent from the DAW software it does not help with "mixing", either.

If your system does not work with lower latencies, a PCIe card will not likely simply make these issues go away. In any case, you will change the computer at some point, and then you will have difficulties finding one with PCI.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME