1 (edited by loyuit 2018-02-14 17:05:33)

Topic: Adi 2 Pro Equalizer routing

Hi Rme
I'd like to use the Adi2Pro Equalizer on my masters by using digital output
Is it possible?
I tried by changing in multichannel mode and routing from Adat output to Adat input but all i get is the dry sound without eq
Is the Equalizer possible only on analog outputs and inputs?

2 (edited by ramses 2018-02-14 17:56:10)

Re: Adi 2 Pro Equalizer routing

[deleted, sorry wrong info]

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Not true. Correct answer is: you overlooked the option SETUP - Hardware/Diagnosis - Dig Out Source: Main Out. Explained in the manual.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by loyuit 2018-02-15 00:17:26)

Thank you Ramses
Thank you MC
I overlooked Dig Out Source Main Out
I need two other infos. is the Equalizer stereo only or dual mono too?
And does Adi2 Dac have same specs as Adi2Pro about digital to analog section? I was thinking to transform my Adi 2 Pro into a 2x4 converter for a minimal analog summing purpose

All three EQs can be set to dual mono individually.
Specs are basically the same.
But analog summing with 2 x stereo does not make sense, and is very complicated to achieve as the Pro does not have 2 identical stereo outputs (different levels and circuit inside).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by loyuit 2018-02-15 11:40:50)

Thanks MC
Very well, i will take a look to change in dual mono the eq (are we talking about Adi2 Pro?)
About outboard summing i'd like to go to a mixer from ADI 2 Pro 1 and 2 outputs and from ADI 2 DAC 1 and 2 outputs.
ADI 2 DAC connected by Adat to the ADI 2 PRO
If specs are identical why should i have any problem?
What do you mean with "the Pro does not have 2 identical stereo outputs (different levels and circuit inside)"?
Do you mean Adi2 Pro 1/2 Xlr and 1/2 Ts?
But i was talking about an Adi 2 Pro- Adi2 Dac setup

You must have a very colourful mixer if you want this to create interesting summing. Unless of course you want to merge outputs that can not be combined in the box.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

You must also have colorful glasses that prevent you from reading the manual.

BTW, summing with two DACs where one is fed from the other is NOT possible due to the sample delay (latency) between the units, causing phase cancellation effects. That has nothing to do with 'specs'...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

9 (edited by loyuit 2018-02-15 15:31:43)

Thanks Vinark and thanks MC
I will wait for a RME 8 or 16 channels stand alone converter usb or tb to use for summing
Bye

loyuit wrote:

Thanks Vinark and thanks MC
I will wait for a RME 8 or 16 channels stand alone converter usb or tb to use for summing
Bye

Perfect for that would be a digiface usb with one or two ADI-8's (DS or QS depending on your need for sample rates).

Vincent, Amsterdam

11 (edited by loyuit 2018-02-15 17:24:16)

Yes
I love otb sum

I have already had this setup:

-----Adi8ds mkiii 
Mac-----DigiFace Usb 
                               -----Adi 2 Pro

But i don't need 8 channels of AD conversion
Just 4 or 8 of DA to sum otb.
My ideal device would be a new Rme M-8DA Tb or Usb with TotalMix and class compliant.  : )
But i don't think it will be produced
Could be an option Adi 2 DAC connected to my Adi 2 Pro but MC said there are latency differences so for now i will stay itb
Bye

12 (edited by vinark 2018-02-15 20:17:52)

Just curious are you coming from a single daw or multiple sources?
And with what do you sum?
Could you use 4 outs from the ADI via the Digiface usb? If yes you could add another too without phasing issues cause they are both clocked to the same source.

Vincent, Amsterdam

13 (edited by loyuit 2018-02-15 21:40:34)

Good idea
Only Logic Pro
I use a Speck XSum: too many channels  : )
Now i work only on 4 mono tracks: Acoustic Bass---Acoustic Guitar (and voice)---Snare/Ride/HiHat by brushes---Trumpet (and voice). My purpose is to optimize this minimal acoustic instruments setup by a minimal but very good analog chain for tracking, mixing and possibly mastering .
My ideal setup for mixing would be a 4 channel high end mixer or console (but i can't find one, Tree Audio Stem but four channels would be great) and a high end four channels DA converter (yes i could take as you said a Digiface Usb and a Adi2 Dac). For tracking i'm very happy with my Adi2 Pro, with my channel strip and with my mic.
Could DigiFace Usb and Adi 2 pro-Adi 2 Dac be right for 4 channels otb summing?

Won't one ADI2 pro work. You can use the headphones as 3 and 4 out. Or indeed get a second one (either). As far as I understand it the 4 mono channels will not be phase related so even if there are some differences in latency it won't be a problem. Only MC can answer if the pro has the same latency as the dac.

Vincent, Amsterdam

15 (edited by loyuit 2018-02-16 12:06:00)

While you use headphones 3 and 4 outputs at the same time the main outputs 1 and 2 are in mute if i remember
I have already tried to have 4 different outputs by the adi2pro....it would be perfect
Another Adi2Pro plus a Digiface would be too expensive to add only two channels.
So do you think that latency differences could be not a problem in my context?
Another question: by using a Y cable to connect one of the headphones outputs to the mixer i can get a 2x4 setup.
But is this a correct way about latency issues, different specs, etc in a otb summing context?

16 (edited by vinark 2018-02-16 13:37:43)

I don't have the ADI2 but as far is I know you can have 4 analogue outputs in usb mode.

When used as USB interface, the Class Compliant UAC 2 mode can be set to Stereo or Multi-
channel. Multi-channel mode turns the ADI-2 Pro into a 6 channel (Analog 1/2, AES, SPDIF)
record and 8 channel (Analog 1/2/3/4, AES, SPDIF) playback audio interface.

If you are mixing 4 phase unrelated mono channels it will be no issue if there is a difference in latency, if there is at all. RME needs to confirm if there is a latency difference between 1/2 and 3/4.

Vincent, Amsterdam

I know and i have used multichannel several times
Yes i could use a Y cable and a stereo headphones output
If latency or other issues due to the different specs between main outputs and headphones outputs are not significant in my context
i could take this way. Also, adding the Adi2 Dac i could have 8 channels of DA conversion.
Let's wait MC
Thank you Vinark

18 (edited by vinark 2018-02-16 14:14:00)

I am quite sure the dac has only 1 stereo output. You could use it for 2 extra channels connected to the digital out of the pro, without digiface.
I am not sure what you are hoping to gain over a digiface with a ADI8. If ultimate converter quality is your goal it is better to sum in the box (no converter loss at all) and listen to the ADI2pro stereo out. If you like summing (which is adding distortion and noise and non linearities on purpose) the very small differences in converter quality between the AI2pro and any ADI8 are lost anyway since even your summing box, which is a very clean/transparent one, is adding more noise etc then either the ADI2 or 8 has.

Vincent, Amsterdam

19 (edited by loyuit 2018-02-17 15:44:10)

Yes i'm agree
But i like to sum by outboard anyway even if the tracks are 4 only.
Adi2 pro main outs plus 3/4 headphones outs by a insert cable Y could be a great option if latency or other issues due to the different specs between main outputs and headphones outputs are not significant in my context.

20 (edited by loyuit 2018-02-16 18:56:51)

—————————-Eq 1—
        Main Outputs          M
—————————-Eq 2—  I
Adi 2 Pro                        X
—————————-Eq 3—  E
   Headphones Output      R
—————————-Eq 4—

Adi2Pro Equalizer-Dual Mono
             on both 1/2 and 3/4

Headphones Output to Mixer
     by insert Y cable

Doubts remain, due to the different specs between headphones outputs and main outputs.

What are you afraid of? In the specs their Noise is the same and distortion practically the same. You could also use both phones instead of the normal outputs. Then they are identical if that is what you want.

Vincent, Amsterdam

22 (edited by loyuit 2018-02-16 19:55:25)

Using two phones outputs at the same time the main outputs are mute
Anyway i need a good Y cable to try
this setup
Have you any advice about a good Y cable for this setup?

That is what I meant when using two phones.
As it will be short any insert cable will do! Buy a good brand if you feel better then.

Vincent, Amsterdam

24 (edited by loyuit 2018-02-16 22:01:50)

Thank you very much Vinark