1 (edited by Vocalpoint 2018-02-15 19:59:27)

Topic: RME Multiface Blue Screen in Windows 10 with J.River Media Center

Running the 4.21 version of the Multiface driver.

I have J.River Media Center on the WIndows 10 machine - using this specific selection under Audio Device:

Analog (1+2) RME Hammerfall DSP [WASAPI]

If I choose a 44/16 FLAC file to play - all is well. It plays without issue

However if I choose a 96/24 FLAC file to play - Windows 10 completely bluescreens and restarts.

I know this card is compatible to 96/24 and should switch cleanly on the fly to accomodate whatever file is playing - but I have actually seen Windows 10 blue screen because of it.

The RME driver exposes about 17 audio device choices to J.River - ranging from ASIO to WASAPI to Kernal Streaming to Direct Sound.

Which is the best choice for standard music playback so I can play any file regardless of sample rate with the minimal amount of hassle?

Over on my personal workstation using a Teac UD-501 - I am using the WASAPI driver for playback via J.River with no issues. But it seems the WASAPI driver selection for RME does not behave in the same manner.

With the Teac WASAPI driver - I can switch between 44/16 and 96/24 as fast I can click files with no crashes, delays or any other nonsense.

Appreciate some guidance here as this has been confusing to me for a very long while.

Cheers,

VP

Re: RME Multiface Blue Screen in Windows 10 with J.River Media Center

You need to use the ASIO driver. WASAPI does not support sample rate changes in our drivers due to multichannel usage and ASIO/WDM multiclient capability.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

But the buescreen (if caused by the RME driver) can't be avoided?

Dandruff wrote:

But the buescreen (if caused by the RME driver) can't be avoided?

I can guarantee the blue screen is due to the driver. As soon as I switch it from WASAPI to ASIO - all is well. As soon as switch it back to WASAPI and try to play a track - blue screen city.

Brutal way to support something if you ask me. There should be some sort of stop-gap in the process to throw an error message. This could cause a user to lose an entire session or any other work they may not have saved.

VP

Nobody ever reported Bluescreens with this, and I don't have them either when using WASAPI.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME