Topic: No effects on ucx

Reverb and delay do not work.
After reading the thread about problems with RAM or DSP for UFX, I sincerely hope I am to blame and not the device.
See picture here:https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jdtoy2lnzybj8oo/AAC02qIrE7NiBFC2JN2oPAKGa?dl=0

ucx no effects

Re: No effects on ucx

That picture shows weired graphics problems and TotalMix Remote in beta state...

What about TotalMix FX 1.50 beta or 1.43 release? Same problem?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by jwork123nl 2018-02-17 09:20:26)

@Weird graphics
on Dell laptop with Totalmix Remote -> free w10 upgrade removed scroll function from touchpad, had to install W7 driver / scrolling causes these effects.
No effect on Totalmix remote or other applications.

BTW: UCX already was upgraded to latest firmware

@local Totalmix FX 1.5 b4 on other laptop connected to UCX -> exact same problem as shown in the picture.
@local Totalmix 1.43 -> (re-installed whole 1099 usb driver package and checked help-about for version) -> exact same problem.

Please use 1.43, do a Options - TotalMix Reset - Total Reset, and toggle Echo and Reverb on/off a few times.

Is the Echo and Reverb not working at all or is it just the FX output level meter? What about the others, EQ and Dynamics - working or not? If EQ and Dyn also fail then there seems to be a hardware problem, which is quite unusual for the UCX.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by jwork123nl 2018-02-17 13:43:45)

Installed Totalmix 1.43, did Options - Totalmix Reset - Total Reset and toggled Echo and Reverb a few times.
No difference in behavior.

To eliminate any errors from my side, these are my exact steps after Total Reset.

First steps to get music routed to the monitors:
a. Select "Hardware Outputs" AN1/2, to which are connected my main monitors. Pull down volume to -inf.
b. Set volume of "Software Playback" PH 1/2 to 0dB (Windows sends music through USB to this channel).
c. Pull up slider on "Hardware Output" AN1/2, I see a signal on that channel's meter and I hear music through the monitors

Second steps to try to hear the effects:
1. Fully pull up "FX send" slider on "Software Playback" PH 1/2. -> This causes a signal to show on "FX in" in the FX section. Good.
2. Fully pull up "FX return" on Outputs analog 1/2
   - > No change in FX section metering (I expected to see a signal on "FX out"). No effects heard on monitors (expected behavior: effects are off)
3. Enable reverb
  - > No change in FX section metering (unexpected behavior, expected to see a signal on "FX out").
        No effects heard on monitors (unexpected behavior)

Did I miss a step here?

EQ and dynamics working great, I use EQ all the time to adjust for room acoustics and the LP filter for active crossover to subwoofer. And dynamics to tame the music when we have guests.

One more info please: when you enable Reverb, does the DSP meter jump to a significantly higher value, or does the green indicator stay at the same position no matter if Reverb is on or off?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by jwork123nl 2018-02-17 16:57:13)

I take it as confirmed that I did not make a mistake in applying the effects.

@your question:
Without reverb the DSP meter is at zero.[EDIT: in normal use almost zero, a thin stripe only, caused by the EQ]
With reverb the DSP meter jumps to a clearly visible higher value. As shown in the picture I uploaded in post 1. Goes higher with e.g. the various room reverbs and lower with the space reverb.
It's a strange thing. It is as everything in the effects section works OK, but somehow the sound does not get out of there, as witnessed by the FX out level meter staying at zero.
That's why I thought it could be a mistake at my side...

Yes, it is very mysterious. The DSP meter prooves that everything works as intended. I have to check that again.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Tried UCX on another laptop, old Totalmix 1.22.
Same results, so I'm guessing firmware or device related problem.

Requested support for this at support@rme-audio.de.
Like this the problem will be properly in your ticketing system.

Can you please save the current state as Workspace and send it ot us? We can then exclude the current state from being the problem. If your workspace works over here the unit's hardware must be damaged. BTW, does Echo work?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

HelloMatthias,

I send the requested information to support@rme-audio.de, including another screenshot with this workspace.

Unfortunately delay and echo both do not work.
IMO delay also not working makes sense.
If both effects are created by the same DSP that shows a load (and thus is working), I suspect a problem in the signal path after the DSP but before the place where the FX out is measured.
But this analysis is up to you guys, and if it turns out to be a hardware defect could you please let me know the estimated cost.

When I switch the unit off and then on, it shows E.2, before showing PH.
What does that mean?
Is there any way to get some diagnostics from the unit?

Ok then, E2 is a RAM error. That fits perfectly. This unit definitely needs service then. Coming back to your first post: those errors show up up as crackling, but yours is a total failure, so quite different to the other threads. If you find the time please post your serial number before sending it in.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

15 (edited by jwork123nl 2018-02-23 18:24:29)

Hi Matthias,

Sticker on the bottom says 23455873. Is this what you need?

I bought the unit 5 y / 3m ago, so it will be out of warranty.
If the RAM failed and the RAM is in a kind of slot I might as well open it up and replace it myself.
What do you think?

Bit disappointed by this, I am wondering about the following:
- RME says it does not matter to always leave the unit on, but leaving the unit on might degrade components like RAM

John

Your RAM isn't 'degraded' - it failed completely. Things like that happen, sorry, but anything can (and will some day) break. The RAM is soldered and can not be replaced by the user.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Matthias thanks for your help, which is appreciated.

Indeed I checked and most everything is smd soldered.

I will wait for the reply from support and see what the cost is.
If it is too expensive I plan not having the RAM repaired.
I assume that this RAM does not hamper the rest of the device and is only used in the effects section?

BTW Would it be an idea to put the error codes in the manual?

Thanks again

John

Yes, it is only Rev/Echo affected then. The manual does not include error states because in all the years no one ever needed them.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Just encountered the same thing here - my UXC is in CC mode I dont know if that makes any difference? Did you get a solution?

20 (edited by LS 2023-11-16 00:59:40)

Hello, I seem to have encountered the exact same issue.  I also own a Fireface UCX, and I believe it to be the same model because it was roughly purchased around the same time as the original poster had purchased his.

I also have just the DSP sections for reverb and delay of the device non functioning.  The rest of the device is working without any hitch. The symptoms described by work123nl are exactly the same over here.  After doing a power cycle I did also see that "E2" message appear on the display. The FX percentage indicator does change when turning the Reverb or Echo on or off in TotalMixFX.

I understand that the E2 error is defined as a (permanent) issue concerning the failing of physical memory.

jwork123nl, did you get any response or a resolve from support? Is all hope lost?

Please send the unit in for service.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

22 (edited by LS 2024-01-16 23:31:10)

RME Support wrote:

Please send the unit in for service.

I was going to send it in. I lended a temporary interface (very simple focusrite solo mk2). Plugged it in with the ucx still active. Played around with it to see if it was working correctly. Switched back to the ucx to play back some imputs, and voila, the issue is gone. The FX sections for delay and reverb are working again.

I then proceeded to do it without the focusrite connected and it still works fine.

The device does still boot with the E.2 message, but all the features are working at this point.  Tho I wouldnt be surprised if the issue starts showing up again soon. Should I still be sending it in for, I guess, service?

The effect will be back. E2 is not a sticky message but checked on every boot of the unit.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME