Topic: Issues with my Babyface Pro's stereo balance.

Hey all,

I'm currently butting heads with my interface.. I got it about 2 months ago and there have been no issues whatsoever, until today. The situation is this: the right stereo field is louder than the left stereo field on the xlr inputs, with the output coming from my Nakamichi RX-505 tape deck (trying to do tape digitizations).

What I've done to assure it is the Babyface Pro that's causing issues:
1) Wiggled the RCA outputs and listened on headphones on the tape deck itself -- no issues.
2) Took a tape that has audio only on the left stereo field. Took the two XLR-to-RCA cables I've been using.. connected one cable from the left RCA output of the deck to the left XLR input on the babyface, then disconnected from the Babyface and connected it to the right XLR input. Sound noticeably got louder, in spite of the same signal being fed into the interface. I did the same and replicated the same results with the other cable.

I have assured that there is no gain being applied to the right stereo field on the babyface itself (hit select until both fields were able to be brought down to zero gain using the dial on the Babyface; confirmed that no gain was being added on Totalmix). That isn't the issue.

Either the XLR input got messed up (nothing happened, it wasn't dropped and nothing was pulled; this would be out of the blue and unexplainable) or there is another parameter aside from gain that can mess up the signal's balance between the two stereo fields.

Any help would be immensely appreciated!

Thanks!

Addendum edit: I do not have any other means to connect the babyface to the tape deck, to check and confirm if it's the xlr input that is messed up. I also reinstalled the drivers.

Final edit: I thought I had fixed it, but I didn't. Reset totalmix to factory settings did nothing to fix the panning issues..

I'm comparing the current recording from a tape to a recording I made 2 days ago and the right side is significantly louder than the left (which wasn't the case before).

Re: Issues with my Babyface Pro's stereo balance.

Toggle PAD to fix this.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

My guess is that if you methodically tested all the blocks, including your speakers/phones system, tried it on another PC, etc. then it means that the device need to be sent for repairs.

I mean there are lots of combinations that should be tested. Strictly speaking there is no right and left inputs, they are more like input one and two. It is possible to detect what exactly causing this issue. Try to record something, pan input one to hard left or right (in TotalMix FX), do the same with input two. It may also be the playback issue, i.e. one of the output channels is faulty, check outputs 1, 2 and also 3, 4. It may be something with your recording software. Check the levels visually, so on...

4 (edited by rayray 2018-02-18 17:27:43)

Odd that this would fix the thing... Pad wasn't on in the first place. Toggling on/off on both channels fixed the issue.

Thank you!!!

pianopictures wrote:

My guess is that if you methodically tested all the blocks, including your speakers/phones system, tried it on another PC, etc. then it means that the device need to be sent for repairs.

I mean there are lots of combinations that should be tested. Strictly speaking there is no right and left inputs, they are more like input one and two. It is possible to detect what exactly causing this issue. Try to record something, pan input one to hard left or right (in TotalMix FX), do the same with input two. It may also be the playback issue, i.e. one of the output channels is faulty, check outputs 1, 2 and also 3, 4. It may be something with your recording software. Check the levels visually, so on...

I have no idea why, but toggling PAD on and off on each channel fixed the problem.

Cool!

Simple initialization problem. Happens seldomly under unknown conditions. You will most probably never see this again.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I have the same problem and my english is not that good to understand the solution. What does Toggle Pad mean?
Please help.

You have a Babyface Pro? In channel inputs 1/2 in TotalMix FX, Input settings panel, there is a button to toggle PAD, just beside the gain knob.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias,

thanks for your quick reply - I have this one:

RME Babyface Blau
High Speed USB 2.0
Audio Interface

I guess there is no such button.

today I turned down manually the gain of the left side (AN1) so that stereo was fine.... but after some seconds it turned automatically back to the same gain level. AN1 and AN2 (not stereo)

input comes from a pioneer djm900 mixer (XLR)

with this manuall setting sound is almost centered:
AN1 Gain: 36
AN2 Gain: 48

but it wont stay like this...

You will have to send in the unit including breakout cable for checking. This is not a firmware or software issue.

Oh wait - turned back means the gain changed, including the gain knob? That sounds like some messenger software fools around with its microphone input level...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi MC,
yes that is true, some softwares do that. But the error stays the same. Tested it on both laptops and with many different programms.

After closing every Program and resetting the totalmix I opened it in ableton and did some test recordings. The panning is still there.

I will send in the babyface for checking.
Thanks for your advice.

Greetings from Mannheim

MC wrote:

Toggle PAD to fix this.

thank god for this.. I dropped mine and levels were off.... I now hear that it clicks with PAD.. so it's mechanical?

www.yila.co.uk

Of course - a relay.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME