1 (edited by pianopictures 2018-02-19 02:54:12)

Topic: A bit weird behavior of a driver Settings window

The one where you set latency, sample rate, etc. I'm a bit wondering why you made it that it don't have its tab in the taskbar? The TotalMix FX window is totally normal - stays in the taskbar when minimized, goes to tray when closed. I would prefer the same for the Settings window too. Stay on top option is super welcome too. Win., 1.099.

Re: A bit weird behavior of a driver Settings window

I think its good that it doesnt always stay on top, i.e. for longer measurings of USB quality.
If you have only one screen or smaller screens in general, then its good when it can reside behind applications
so that the user can continue to work with the applications running in the foreground.

As the CRC information has been put to the right side of the window you can even arrange to hide 50% of the window
with the application so that you have a small view on only the USB diagnosis numbers.

I regard this as "defensive" / clever programming, as then you have options as user to arrange your work.
Not a screen that penetrantly hinders your work by staying in the foreground.

In regards to your 2nd point. For the very few moments where you use the tool to configure something
the functionality is good as it is. I personally see no benefit to have an icon for it in the task bar.
What is your rationale behind it ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by pianopictures 2018-02-19 11:05:51)

OK. Regarding "stay on top" sure I would like to have it as an option, not as a the default way for it to behave, just like TotalMix FX and DIGICheck do.

Regarding the taskbar presence. I find myself popping this window from the tray, then doing a bit of something with the DAW, then remembering to check something in the "Settings", so to see it again I need to minimize the DAW window, as it stays beneath it. Not exactly conventional, and it may even happen that there is another layered window, so I need to minimize it too. I know you can say that you can just pop it back from the tray - so, again, not the way I'm used to deal with the windows. And just the fact that some window stays secretly underneath all others, without giving me the indication of it - not exactly what I appreciate.

4 (edited by ramses 2018-02-19 11:43:09)

pianopictures wrote:

Regarding the taskbar presence. I find myself popping this window from the tray, then doing a bit of something with the DAW, then remembering to check something in the "Settings", so to see it again I need to minimize the DAW window, as it stays beneath it. Not exactly conventional, and it may even happen that there is another layered window, so I need to minimize it too.

No. You simply need to click to the driver symbol in the Windows info bar and then it will be put into the foreground.

To give you an alternative.. There is a macro based solution available from a forum member, to open/close TM FX and the driver settings dialog. I put the information together, how to implement it, in this blog. https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ndruck-DE/

pianopictures wrote:

I know you can say that you can just pop it back from the tray - so, again, not the way I'm used to deal with the windows.

If N Windows are over your application, and you start to minimize all of them to finally see the desired information,
although you know that you need only to click with the left mouse button to the Driver Symbol in the infor bar,
then I regard your workflow as simply too complicated.

There is even another solution available, to use ALT-TAB, to scroll through the opened windows and bring the one to top which you need.

One should never be too old to learn a new trick wink

pianopictures wrote:

And just the fact that some window stays secretly underneath all others, without giving me the indication of it - not exactly what I appreciate.

If you do not need this window anymore after making a change, then simply close it. Quite simple and straight forward.

Otherwise try to use this macro based method.
F1 to open close TM FX
ALT-F1 to open close driver settings dialog

You can choose also other keys like you want.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by pianopictures 2018-02-19 13:04:58)

I know the workarounds in Windows including Alt+Tab. And I can live with it. All I say is that it is not a conventional design and I don't see the benefits in such implementaion. Most likely is what you are saying is that it is as it is for tenths of years already and you are totally used to it so maybe it is you who don't want to learn new tricks? wink I'm totally new RME user and I see things this way.

no comment.

TotalMix FX is very nicely designed in this regards, single click in the tray make it pop up, another single click in the tray icon make it disappear. Not the case with the "Settings" - single click in the tray make it open, another one don't make it close. Would be nice for them both to have the same behavior.

Another rather strange thing is what for there is a built-in help function (the "?" sign in the top right) when it actually don't do anything?

pianopictures wrote:

The one where you set latency, sample rate, etc. I'm a bit wondering why you made it that it don't have its tab in the taskbar? The TotalMix FX window is totally normal - stays in the taskbar when minimized, goes to tray when closed. I would prefer the same for the Settings window too. Stay on top option is super welcome too. Win., 1.099.

Not sure what you are referring to. Both icons do remain in the Task Bar. Please check the Task Bar settings, perhaps the icon in question is hidden.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

9 (edited by pianopictures 2018-02-19 13:45:51)

Short: taskbar vs. tray. They both remain in tray area, not in the taskbar.

Long: in Windows terms, to my understanding, they call the whole strip a "taskbar", then there is a "notification area" (or tray, as some people call it) on the right, where the clock and other icons are located. Both icons are present in the "notification area" at all times. When someone click on the TotalMix FX icon in the "notification area" the corresponding window pops up and the additional tab (or button, or icon) appears in the main area in the taskbar. When the "minimize" button clicked, the window disappears but it's tab still stays in the main taskbar area; when the "close" is clicked - it disappears from the main taskbar area while remaining to stay in the "notification area" of the taskbar (in the tray). This is fairly standard behavior for most Windows applications that use the "notification area". But not the case regarding the "Settings" window.