Topic: Feature request: Automatic Dim while Talkback is active

From several consoles I was used to the feature, that my control room monitors where automatically dimmed while I keep the talkback switch pressed. This helps to avoid feedback loops or unwanted echo effects while communicating.
Till now I was using the old ARC and did a workaround by soldering a cable bridge between the talkback and the dim switch, so that they where both active if one of them was pressed.
Now I would like to use the new ARC USB and I think that it would be much easier to implement this in the TotalMix software.
It would be very handy to not only have 'talkback' in the dropdown menu for the ARC but also have 'talkback + dim' available.
I guess I am not the only one who would be very happy with that.

Re: Feature request: Automatic Dim while Talkback is active

Talkback +Dim is active when Listenback is active. Select whatever channel for it - that's it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you for the quick reply, but that is not exactly what I need. In my setup, the signal from the studio mics will be recorded in my DAW and therefore returning to totalmix from there for monitoring. In addition there is a playback track coming from the DAW also. My goal is to Dim whatever totalmix is sending to the main front speakers when the talkback button is pressed, not only one particular mic input.

4 (edited by pianopictures 2018-02-20 16:21:58)

It could be solved if the software could allow to assign one or more functions to a single button.

Or maybe you could deal with your situation simply by making a custom snapshot so you could just activate it when needed.

5 (edited by Tnpnktstdio 2018-02-20 16:54:26)

pianopictures wrote:

It could be solved if the software could allow to assign one or more functions to a single button.

That would be the best solution, although a single function with talkback&dim would be sufficient in this case

Or maybe you could deal with your situation simply by making a custom snapshot so you could just activate it when needed.

A snapshot is not a good solution for this, because you sometimes do quick temporary adjustments on your levels or routing in totalmix during a recording session and you don´t want these adjustments to be lost/overwritten after you have once pressed the talkback button.

Another solution would be an option in the settings menu, that the dim of the main control room output shall be triggered by talkback operation or not

It really helps to read the manual. Listenback will do exactly what you want. Just try it. Adn of course you assign an unused channel, or one with either no signal or no current signal to it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok, I guess I was´nt fully understanding the concept. Thanks for your patience