Topic: Removing Old Drivers...

Windows 10 Pro and RME UFX. I have been updating my drivers as they become available. I thought the old drivers would be overwritten, but, when I looked in Programs & Features recently, they were not. I tried to remove them from P&F using Uninstall, but I get a large error window saying something to the effect that the driver's uninstaller can't be found. I did manage to uninstall a few of them, but not all, by first uninstalling the most current driver, then deleting the UFX in Device Manager, rebooting and allowing Windows to assign the next driver "in line" so to speak, rinse and repeat. This worked for a few of the newer drivers, but not all.

Is there any concern with older drivers being left in the computer and, if so, does RME have an uninstall utility I can download to remove the drivers that I can't uninstall?

I did try a few driver uninstallers I found through a web search, but they only see consumer drivers not professional interface drivers.

A non-union national read
Demos: brucehayward dot com
Source-Connect: brucehayward

Re: Removing Old Drivers...

Start > Settings > Apps & Features > search RME > Uninstall

3 (edited by The Weed 2018-03-01 20:00:14)

Thanks, but does that just uninstall the current driver or just older drivers?

Just looked there and it only lists the current driver, which I want to keep. None of the older drivers are listed and those are the ones I want to remove.

there is really no need to do this IMHO

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Okay, thanks.

6 (edited by Jayzteroid 2018-03-02 08:50:37)

Thats true that there is no need, but I agree that those markings of older installations are really annoying. They tend to pile up with old Windows installations.
Maybe messing with the registry would help. I haven't tried that.

Sonicimage studio
RME FF UFX, XTC, ADI-648, MADIface USB
W10 Pro 64bit

7 (edited by Jayzteroid 2018-03-05 08:22:51)

I'd be happy to clean this list.

http://files.sonicimage.fi/rme/drivers.jpg

Sonicimage studio
RME FF UFX, XTC, ADI-648, MADIface USB
W10 Pro 64bit

Me too <:-]

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=18196

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

That post you referenced is from 2013. I can't delete those entries on Windows 10 Pro , I get a message window stating that the uninstallers are not available when I go to Programs & Features and try to uninstall from there. Is there somewhere else I'm supposed to delete them from?

Thanks.

I do not have this problem under Windows 10, although I never deleted these entries (that I also had under Windows 7). The reason might be that I delete all audio devices, including the currently not active ones (!), from time to time (cleaning up the computer for quicker opening of the Sound panel). Not sure if that is the reason, though. You should not waste time with these entries, they do no harm at all.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I just used CCleaner->tools->uninstall to remove those entries, as windows can't find them anymore to uninstall via its own app.

I don't trust CCleaner, for my taste too many bad things can happen / be caused by such tools.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I came to this forum for this (thread's) reason. Same error message as the original poster.

Just happened to see a bunch of older Windows Driver Packages for RME Fireface USB (my Babyface Pro) - still residing in Control Panel/Programs/Programs and Features.

All of the extras except for one would uninstall. No way to get it to complete uninstallation that I could find, and I also do not trust 3rd party "cleaners".

Although there seems to be no side effects of this, it is very irritating to have to leave old crap laying around in plain sight.

Is there any manual way to clear this? I have already uninstalled and reinstalled the whole package, that one entry (05/04/2018 1.1.14.0) remains...

Overwriting and disposing of the old driver by design would be great (as I and others thought actually happened), as there are pretty much no catastrophic effects with a USB audio device.

Help! I urgently need to uninstall/cleanup all the RME drivers and try a fresh installation from scratch, because on my main DAW under WIN 10 Professional, the Fireface isn't working anymore. On my laptop (Windows 8.1) it's working like a charm, so it is not a hardware issue. I was able to uninstall an entry called "RME Fireface" in Windows under "Apps & features", using the Uninstall button. But there are 8 entries whose name begins with "Windows driver package - RME Fireface ...". When I try to uninstall one of those, I get the long error message mentioned in this thread.

RME support seems to be letting me down. After a half-hearted reaction (asking for information that was already given in my original request) I didn't hear from them for more than 2 days already. Here's my current problem:

After updating my DAW from Windows 7 to 10, my Fireface UFX was still operable but not entirely stable. During a Loopback recording the signal which I was recording changed to a loud hiss. That was under Firewire. So I thought it would be best to update to the latest drivers and firmware, which is what I did. All seemed to go well and I got messages saying that it was successful. But as a result, the USB driver isn't visible anymore. Neither in the Windows Sound Settings nor in Cubase I can select it. The Firewire driver on the other hand can be selected, but when I do so, no sound is played back and the whole system is slowed down severely. I repeated the uninstall-reinstall cycle several times, but each time with the same result.

Any suggestion how I can get the Fireface up and running again? I don't mind whether it's Firewire or USB.

16 (edited by ramses 2019-10-03 17:01:37)

A few comments.

We have a public holiday today in germany and some ppl surely took 1d off on the bridge day

You do not need to remove drivers, simply install the latest.

You can only see a RME WDM driver in Windows Sound if you created WDM devices ...
You changed the driver from firewire to usb ?
Its a different driver so you need to create WDM devices again I would guess.

Its nice that you could validate with Laptop that the UFX is still running.
It seems to me that all you need is to perform a valid Win10 installation.

What type of installation did you choose ?
- upgrade installation from 7 to 10 ?
- new / clean installation with 10 ?

You didn't tell which drivers you have installed now, you wouldnt be the 1st who picket the wrong ones.
So could you kindly detail which drivers you installed (name of the file which contains the version number).

When using USB now .. did you try all USB ports, preferred those coming from chipset ?
There might be some incompatibilities with 3rd party drivers.
You can try USB2 and USB3 ports.

If you have a disk image as backup eventually consider to rollback to Win7 1st and to perform upgrade on another occasion, shall you be under any pressure now.

What you did there is a major release upgrade from an old Win7 to a new Win10.
If this is an important PC for you or your business, then you need to plan an upgrade with more care.
In a good case of luck this can be easy, but there is no guarantee for that.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

None of these entries are the reason for USB not working. Possible reasons:

The UFX might be set to CC mode - check that. Also connect only USB, not FW. Then check the entries in the Device Manager - does it show up there somewhere?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply, and sorry for my harsh words about the support. Living in Switzerland I wasn't aware of the German holiday.

I had written a long post with my latest findings, but when I pressed the Preview button, I lost everything apparently due to some malfunction of the forum page. There was a message saying that I didn't have the right to use this function. But I was logged in.

Trying to recap:

Fireface is not in CC mode.
Windows 10 was installed as an (official, i.e. paid) upgrade from 7 to 10 (maybe not such a great idea :-(

Driver versions installed after upgrade:
- driver_usb_win_1168
- driver_fw_win_3125
- Firmware: (Fireface UFX: USB 360, DSP 163, FireWire 344, Class Compliant 28).

"RME Fireface UFX" appears in Device Manager when switched on.
Connected via Firewire, Device status is shown as "working properly", although it doesn't produce any sound.
Connected via USB, Device status says:
"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
Object Name not found."
Right before checking this I had done yet another installation of the USB driver which ended once more with a message saying that "The drivers were successfully installed on this computer"

I checked Windows Autostart and found that the following are launched from the System32 folder:
-  fireface.exe
-  TotalMixFX.exe

Shouldn't firefaceusb.exe also be autostarted? I tried running it manually before switching on the Fireface, but that didn't make any difference.

Should I try installing an older version of the drivers? Where can I download them?

Thanks again
Norbert Eichler

Never heard of that specific error message. CC mode would be Error Code 10. Googling Error Code 39 brings up videos of corrupted registry where removing Lower/Upper filters solved it.

Old drivers are in the download path with different names, for example

http://www.rme-audio.de/download/driver … n_1166.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

20 (edited by ramses 2019-10-04 11:23:35)

> There was a message saying that I didn't have the right to use this function. But I was logged in.
Try to completely logout and re-login.
I also had a rights issue not being able to visit "Neue Beiträge", which could be solved by this.

In regards to the Win 10 upgrade installation:
The usual recommendation is always to perform a clean installation.
On the other hand Microsoft spend much time on this topic and the Win10 upgrade installation is not that bad.
For me it works well, but maybe in another combination with HW/Driver/Software it might fail.

If you have weired problems after an upgrade installation, then I think its a clear indication,
to perform a clean new installation of Win10.

I would change the strategy
- restore Win7 from backup (I hope you have performed a backup)
- buy a 2nd SSD
- perform clean installation of Win10 of 2nd SSD
- implement dual boot, win7 for working, win10 for testing until its ready for use

In the IT normally nobody would change a productive system to another major OS release without
having tested the upgrade path before performing an OS upgrade.
And .. always perform backup, so that you are able to come back with least efforts.
Macrium Reflect Home could serve you very well in this regards.

My strategy:

I have so many applications, VSTs, VSTi's installed, that a clean installation of Win10 would last a long time.
Even worse, as I still have Win7 as primary system, an evaluation of every new Win10 would create a lot of efforts.
So I need to perform an upgrade installations to safe time and luckily they always worked for me.
By this I save a lot of time and after such an upgrade installation I have the same SW and drivers for evaluation.
I am using 2 disks to be able to dual-boot, either Win7 for working or Win10 for testing.

Prerequisite:
- 2 SSDs of equal size
- Macrium Reflect as backup system using disk images
- internal SATA (or external USB3) disk to store backups, fastest is USB3.2 gen2 with UASP supported on both sides
- EasyBCD to create a Boot Menue with the selection between Win7 and Win10 at boot (defaults after 5sec to Win7)

The procedure:
1. perform disk image of SSD1 / Win7 with Macrium reflect
2. perform upgrade installation to Win10 on SSD1
3. Use Macrium Reflect to clone upgraded Win10 to SSD2
4. Use Macrium Reflect to restore Win7 on SSD1

Now you have Win7 on SSD1 and Win10 on SSD2.
Bootmenue lets you choose between the one or the other OS installation.

Other advantage:
Once you work with Win10 and should something fail you can always use the 2nd SSD to restore the working Win10 version before upgrade and by dual-boot still work on the other Win10 to test fixes if there are some up to restoring Win7 if you think this is a must.

Thank you very much for your input and suggestions. Very much appreciated! I will study them carefully and see what I will implement in order to play it safer next time. The 2 SSD strategy is something I also had in mind in order to move to a clean installation step by step without too much pressure to get it done quickly. I'm also facing the problem of a large number of pieces of software to reinstall.

But I have good news. The problem is solved, at least for USB!!!
The Device Manager message was key to the solution. First I tried the small registry fix. There was no LowerFilter, just an UpperFilter, and I deleted it. That had no effect. But then I clicked on the Fireface entry within Device Manager and selected "uninstall device". After a restart I installed the USB driver once more like I had done a few times already, but this time it installed correctly and I can use the UFX via USB.

22 (edited by ramses 2019-10-04 13:41:52)

Congratulations. USB is preferable for other reasons, then you can also perform firmware upgrades, which is not possible through firewire.

Try iobit uninstaller

https://techturkiye.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/iobit_programi.png