Topic: TotalMix FX 1.43, got total reset out of the blue

Just got some strange behavior on my PC, rebooted - all TotalMix FX settings, like always on top, knob mappings, layouts, snapshots, all got total reset, no saved layouts, etc. Have no idea what it was.

2 (edited by pianopictures 2018-03-10 16:41:33)

Re: TotalMix FX 1.43, got total reset out of the blue

Just some few details, maybe it could be useful for some statistics, whatever. Was watching YouTube, the stream suddenly stopped, no Internet, I thought it is my provider's fault at first. Was going to reboot, was trying to close the open Ableton Live session but it freezed, could not close it (RME software? just saying...) Could not reboot normally, forced it. After that got the request to check my SSD for consistency, etc. Did that, then reboot, then TotalMix FX was in the reset state. I have a PC where I do everything, ton's of software installed, everything pretty much stable, but sometimes something happens, no big deal. So this is just for report.

I'm very far from making any conclusions, but maybe TotalMix FX somehow was not able to save the last settings, IDK. But I had one snapshot and one layout stored (not saved), wonder why they was gone?

3 (edited by ramses 2018-03-10 16:50:19)

Do you have this in your TM FX settings ?

F2 (Preferences)
-> (  ) Do not load Main volume/balance
-> (x) Always init DSP devices with TM FX settings ?

I personally save
- workspace and
- snapshot
and use "workspace quick select" slots additionally.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I had and have it as it was default
-> (x) Do not load Main volume/balance
-> (  ) Always init DSP devices with TM FX settings

Regarding the second entry I don't exactly understand what it does, should read the manual I guess.

I did not save anything to file yet, and I don't exactly familiar with the "workspace" idea yet. I just saved one snapshot and one layout to the corresponding slots, they were able to be recalled before. To me it is not really critical, it takes a couple of minutes to restore everything, but still it may be critical to someone.

Maybe this could be somehow related to the fact that I installed the drivers/TotalMix FX twice when I first got the interface, although I seriously doubt it, just guessing.

Still I'm quite wondering how the reset could happen from technical standpoint, I would consider it kind of impossible. It must be a single settings file for everything, I guess, that got corrupt at some moment.

5 (edited by ramses 2018-03-10 17:39:28)

Its is the default, but this doesnt mean that you need to use it.

The settings which I use I personally regard more beneficial for me and maybe other people as it
- ensures that the TM FX Settings, which I store on the PC for "reasons" will be used on start-up
  this includes the routing that I usually need and a sane volume level not to blow my ears
- this default routing / volume settings I also store to the UFX+ profiles, so that I can recall them at any time also in stand-alone operation shall it be required
- avoids the pop-up dialog whether you want to keep the device settings or want to initialize with TM FX settings stored on PC

Using the Workspace quick select function with its 30 slots is very practical as you can
store and recall all settings (snapshot and workspace) at once.

Handbook explains whats being stored in snapshot and what in workspace settings.

I think the advantage not only to use the "workspace quick settings" is, but also to save snapshot and workspace
as separate files on your filesystem, as by this you can transfer the settings also to other machines
or load them after a reinstallation of the Operating System, to be able to quickly store it in the "workspace quick settings"
again ....

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13