1 (edited by deek 2018-03-14 09:00:54)

Topic: Raydat as replacement for Digiface USB

Hi,

I switched from a Macbook to a Mac Pro and now I wonder if would have any advantages when I switch to Raydat (I now still use my Digiface USB).

In fact the  Digiface runs fine but I often have clicks/crackles in Ableton when I go lower than 256 samples buffer. And I have a 3,46 GHz 12 Core Machine with 96 GB RAM. So I think lower buffer should be possible...shouldn't it?

In case this is important: I use three converters together with my Digiface USB. A RME UCX (only as AD/DA), RME ADI 8 DS and ADI 8 DS MKIII.

Re: Raydat as replacement for Digiface USB

This is hard to say. If the crackles are caused by USB, then yes this will fix it.
Maybe you can try the demo of reaper and create a test project. If that runs better at lower latency it might be ablton causing it. Some daws have trouble with many cores and 2 cpu's and low latency. I hope someone with this mac and a raydat can react!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Thanks for your reply. I'm pretty sure that crackling is Abletons fault. I also use Reaper for postproduction and there are less problems.... but I thought maybe with a PCIe Interface also Ableton would be better.

But I think I know what you mean. It is hard to say what exactly the problem is. Maybe I will just try it... actually no problem with 30 days money back.

Anyway: if anyone has experience with that let me know smile

Just in case anyone has the same question like me. I tried it today. I couldn't recognize any difference. Opened some projects in Ableton and Reaper and checked at which buffer size the sound gets bad. There was no difference between Digiface USB and Raydat.

Of course this was not really a scientific approach while testing... but for my decision it was enough.

Pretty scientific! And interesting and helpful. And a big compliment to RME's USB driver!
You could disable one cpu and see if you get better low latency then. Without cpu synchronisation issues. I would guess yes, unless both cpus were maxed of course. Sorry no idea how to do that on a mac.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632